NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Its a great offense. I much rather have Jones than some Baltimore or Seattle turd in a 4 man RBBC that also have bad o-lines.

If Sean Lee doesnt play again this Sunday its a huge boost to the running game.

Im with you.  Considering Jones over Latavius Murray with the #1 claim for this exact reason.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im 2nd on the wire and im gonna go for Jones. Montgomery has MULTIPLE broken ribs. A rb with broken ribs and people are actually   Against grabbing a true rb on this offense? This injury is gonna bother him all year especially if he plays. Flak jacket my a**. All in.

To the guy mocking me(and others) for proposing that the listed height and weight are inaccurate, I suggest you do a little reading about our old friend Eddie Lacy. He played/probably still plays at about 20 pounds heavier than his listed weight. While it seems you’re having a great time

being a jerk, you might want to take a step back and realize that you are wrong. NFL listed heights and weights are hardly the most accurate things in the world.

Just now, Joeklebba said:

To the guy mocking me(and others) for proposing that the listed height and weight are inaccurate, I suggest you do a little reading about our old friend Eddie Lacy. He played/probably still plays at about 20 pounds heavier than his listed weight. While it seems you’re having a great time

being a jerk, you might want to take a step back and realize that you are wrong. NFL listed heights and weights are hardly the most accurate things in the world.

Take it somewhere else please.  Having to sift through pages of this stuff for info on Jones is annoying.

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

Their line is garbage. They have 4 injured offensive tackles.

They have 4 injured offensive tackles.

Bulaga and Bakhtiari are both due back this week.  The Packers bet on being able to go 2-0 in the Cincy/Chicago swing without them, and they cashed in.  With Dallas and Minnesota now up, the Packers will have their starting O-line intact for the first time this season.

As far as Aaron Jones/TyMont goes...the Packers have a ton invested in TyMont, and he's a dynamic player.  He's not going to disappear from the GB backfield.  

One thing to remember with the Packers is that they value pass protection from their backs, so in obvious pass situations if TyMont and/or Williams is unavailable, you'll see Aaron Ripkowski back there.  Even if TyMont is out, Jones will not be a 3 down back, and the Packers will just trust Rodgers to handle the ball more.  If Jones doesnt find the end zone, he really is just a middling RB2/3 type because of the lack of pass game involvement he'll have.

Edited by JaNelson38
16 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

Im 2nd on the wire and im gonna go for Jones. Montgomery has MULTIPLE broken ribs. A rb with broken ribs and people are actually   Against grabbing a true rb on this offense? This injury is gonna bother him all year especially if he plays. Flak jacket my a**. All in.

I agree with this.  This is a minimum 3-4 week injury with potential to aggravate it.

3 minutes ago, Robrain said:

Jones or Lacy?

Lacy is a better bet to score a TD.

Indoors vs the Cowboys vs that pathetic pass defense, the Packers will give the ball to Rodgers and tell him to have at it.

People gotta remember who the Packers have at QB.  They're gonna trust the future HOF to move the ball over a rookie RB.

Edited by JaNelson38
19 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Im with you.  Considering Jones over Latavius Murray with the #1 claim for this exact reason.

Murray himself said he isn't 100% back to normal after his ankle surgery.  That's a huge red flag for me, personally.  4 games into this season, he hasn't had a YPC average in any of those games above 3YPC...

1 minute ago, JaNelson38 said:

Indoors vs the Cowboys vs that pathetic pass defense, the Packers will give the ball to Rodgers and tell him to have at it.

People gotta remember who the Packers have at QB.  They're gonna trust the future HOF to move the ball over a rookie RB.

I like Lacy for potential to grab the reins in that backfield rest of the season.  Aaron Jones should be a decent short-term play for the next few weeks, however.

2 minutes ago, Robrain said:

Murray himself said he isn't 100% back to normal after his ankle surgery.  That's a huge red flag for me, personally.  4 games into this season, he hasn't had a YPC average in any of those games above 3YPC...

i would say that stat for Murray is a little skewed, he hasn't had very many touches either.  could just be he is setting the expectations low.

7 minutes ago, Panthor said:

i would say that stat for Murray is a little skewed, he hasn't had very many touches either.  could just be he is setting the expectations low.

Or trying to save face for when he faceplants.

44 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

Montgomery had 23 targets in Weeks 1-3. Rodgers is an asset to a pass-catching RB, not a detriment. 

1 hour ago, Panthor said:

didn't they just give Jones the ball at the goal line?  i get not liking the situation as a whole, but don't just make up things

When inside the 10: Jones + Ty have combined for 7 rush attempts.  Rodgers has thrown 15 times and rushed once. 

Not making anything up, they pass the ball more than 2x as much as they run the ball. 

Not to mention, as others have stated, in previous seasons the Packers have been known to give goal line rush attempts to full backs.  We haven't seen it yet this season but Ripkowski is still there.

To be clear: if Montgomery was out for a full season, I'd be grasping for Jones right there with you guys.  But when he might not even miss a game, AND you have the above factors, it's a bad situation.  I'd definitely not be burning a valuable waiver claim on him.

Edited by JJ1223
1 minute ago, JJ1223 said:

When inside the 10: Jones + Ty have combined for 7 rush attempts.  Rodgers has thrown 15 times and rushed once. 

Not making anything up, they pass the ball more than 2x as much as they run the ball. 

Not to mention, as others have stated, in previous seasons the Packers have been known to give goal line rush attempts to full backs.  We haven't seen it yet this season but Ripkowski is still there.

that doesn't tell the whole story,  because unless you're actually on the goal line it is unlikely that you're running the ball 3 straight times.  so it actually kinda makes sense to see that ratio, out of 3 downs, 2 are passing attempts.  as long as they aren't going 3 straight pass plays every time and the RB is getting an opportunity that is all you can ask for on any team.  and maybe they haven't done the fullback thing yet because there is no need to this year.   we don't know yet. 

from your numbers that's 22 snaps from inside the 10,  that would be roughly 7x that they saw first and goal, and they rushed the ball 7x, well that means they gave the RB a chance every time down there.

Serious question.... does TY's sickle cell trait effect his timeline? I think TY is great and looks the part, not trying to argue if he is a RB or WR playing RB. I just remember him missing time last year because the team discovered he, like John Brown, had this condition. Not sure if it speaks to them being more conservative with his recovery or not. Arizona seems to be conservative with Smokey... but maybe that is more about the individual players than the condition?

I don't think TY loses his job, but I thinking Jones can be a multi week score to help through the byes.

GB's OL is bad right now because of the injuries to their tackles(including their backups). They have been forced to use fringe backup Guards at the Tackle spots. They get their starters back(Bak and Bulaga) and it'll be a huge boost for the overall group. We'll get a better idea after Wednesday how close both Bak and Bulaga are to playing this weekend. For the record, Bak did get practice time in last week while Bulaga did not, so he's likely closer to returning

1 hour ago, giveup813 said:

Serious question.... does TY's sickle cell trait effect his timeline? I think TY is great and looks the part, not trying to argue if he is a RB or WR playing RB. I just remember him missing time last year because the team discovered he, like John Brown, had this condition. Not sure if it speaks to them being more conservative with his recovery or not. Arizona seems to be conservative with Smokey... but maybe that is more about the individual players than the condition?

I don't think TY loses his job, but I thinking Jones can be a multi week score to help through the byes.

From what I understand, sickle cell trait won't affect his timeline of recovery from a fracture

Jamaal Williams is still in the picture right? I would love the best for Jones, but Williams could still get in his way.  Williams doesnt impress, but he filled in immediately for Monty until he got hurt

Thoughts/concerns?