NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jamaal Williams 2017 Outlook

Packdog

I agree that guaranteed volume doesn't always lead to much fantasy value if you don't fall into a TD but at the same time Williams has one game as a sample size in terms of a meaningful role. Seems either people are hyping him up too much or dumping on him too much, as if there is no middle ground that just maybe this guy is halfway decent option like Darkwa.I don't care that Jones passed him up. Jones is a solid talent and he showed it. If Williams is a lesser talent, he could still be good. I picked him up in 3 leagues just to speculate. If it amounts to something, great. If not, oh well. On to the next waiver wire speculative pickup.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

My point is that Aaron Jones - also a rookie who had limited opportunity - passed this higher drafted rookie.  Sure, make the argument that this kid needs time to ramp up and learn the game.  Didn't seem to take Aaron Jones that long.  Does that make Jones the better player?  Seems like it, since the team chose him over Jamaal.

But alas, now the team is stuck with Jamaal.  So congrats to the kid for now being the "starting RB",  He probably feels like the fugly girl who gets picked up at last call only because she's the last one left.

Sounds like some revisionist history. Williams was ahead of Jones all preseason, and was getting a sprinkling of touches ahead of Jones to start the season (when Montgomery was still healthy) before he suffered a knee injury of his own in week 4 (in relief of Montgomery). Jones was the healthiest back on the team in week 5 and he got 19 carries in week 5 and had a great game. Jones split work with Montgomery in Week 6, had another great game in Week 7, did nothing in week 9, and was carted off in week 10. 

Jones flashed early, and got an extended opportunity. He had double digit carries in 4 straight games (weeks 4-7) and received 70 carries over 6 games in total. He had 2 good games and 4 games where he did vert little. 

Williams had never received more than 4 carries in a game before last week. Last week was his first actual opportunity to get into any sort of rhythm or put anything substantial on tape. 

I think it's insanely early to make definitive statements on Williams. 

2 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Sounds like some revisionist history. Williams was ahead of Jones all preseason, and was getting a sprinkling of touches ahead of Jones to start the season (when Montgomery was still healthy) before he suffered a knee injury of his own in week 4 (in relief of Montgomery). Jones was the healthiest back on the team in week 5 and he got 19 carries in week 5 and had a great game. Jones split work with Montgomery in Week 6, had another great game in Week 7, did nothing in week 9, and was carted off in week 10. 

Jones flashed early, and got an extended opportunity. He had double digit carries in 4 straight games (weeks 4-7) and received 70 carries over 6 games in total. He had 2 good games and 4 games where he did vert little. 

Williams had never received more than 4 carries in a game before last week. Last week was his first actual opportunity to get into any sort of rhythm or put anything substantial on tape. 

I think it's insanely early to make definitive statements on Williams. 

Agree that it's early.  But at some point during this season, both of them were healthy, no?  Aaron Jones took advantage of his opportunity and leap frogged the higher drafted Jamaal.  So even when they were both healthy, the team went with Jones.

Yes, he only got limited carries and didn't do much with them so that's why he didn't get more opportunity.  Got to grab the bull by the horns when you get your chance and show you can play in this league.  I thought Jamaal looked very pedestrian last week against the Bears.

the detractors are missing the forest in the trees.  doesn't matter if he is or is not an all world talent, opportunity/volume is always going to be the trump card for an RB.  no one is saying he is a league winner, or a high end rb1/rb2. what people have been saying is get him on your roster.  

case in point look at Henry, all these tools and can't get on the field with any consisitency.  the NFL has been littered with JAG players at running back that have had success.  you don't need the flashy picks to win, sometimes a grinder is good enough.

Edited by Panthor

15 minutes ago, CooL said:

Agree that it's early.  But at some point during this season, both of them were healthy, no?  Aaron Jones took advantage of his opportunity and leap frogged the higher drafted Jamaal.  So even when they were both healthy, the team went with Jones.

Yes, he only got limited carries and didn't do much with them so that's why he didn't get more opportunity.  Got to grab the bull by the horns when you get your chance and show you can play in this league.  I thought Jamaal looked very pedestrian last week against the Bears.

Jamaal Williams was the clear backup to Ty through 4 games. Games 1 to 3, Williams played. Jones didn't. Game 4, when Ty got hurt, it was Jamaal who went in. Then he got hurt and that's when Aaron Jones grabbed the bull by the horns. This was when Jones leapfrogged Jamaal. When Jamaal was injured. By the time he came back, Jones was playing well, so logically there was no point to go back to Williams. You're acting as if the coaching staff had their choice of the two early on and went with Aaron. That was never the case. Jones got the job by default and kept it. He didn't win it at the beginning.

Williams got limited carries because he was either stuck behind Ty, hurt or then stuck behind Jones. Yeah he looked pedestrian against Chicago but so did Jones, who went 13 for 49 against them earlier. He did get a 2 yard TD run but it's not like he was vastly greater than the 21 touches for 74 yards Williams did.

Personally I don't know why you keep harping on Jamaal being drafted higher. Jamaal went 4th round. Aaron Jones went 5th round. Who cares.

Funny story....Sunday I asked my 2 year old wayne gallman jamaal williams as my flier for the week.... she said jamaal williams so I did a quick Google search better dynasty stashes gallman was higher on all of them so I kept him....then I saw jones out and said shhh then ty mont out and said eff...looked at her and was like never again will I question my 2 year old needless to say I didn't get jamaal after waivers went....

Devante Mays may just Aaron Jones this guy. Has not been active many games but definitely will be considering the injuries. He too is a rookie with considerable talent, I would not be surprised if they go with a hot hand approach trying to find answers for the run game with no Jones / Montgomery. Most people will try and cite last game but he was not active with Jones and Monty healthy then.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/devante-mays/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jamaal-williams/

P.S. Mays is also free.

Edited by Dirtywater97

5 hours ago, hard1 said:

Funny story....Sunday I asked my 2 year old wayne gallman jamaal williams as my flier for the week.... she said jamaal williams so I did a quick Google search better dynasty stashes gallman was higher on all of them so I kept him....then I saw jones out and said shhh then ty mont out and said eff...looked at her and was like never again will I question my 2 year old needless to say I didn't get jamaal after waivers went....

She obviously prefers redraft, non-ppr. 

7 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Devante Mays may just Aaron Jones this guy. Has not been active many games but definitely will be considering the injuries. He too is a rookie with considerable talent, I would not be surprised if they go with a hot hand approach trying to find answers for the run game with no Jones / Montgomery. Most people will try and cite last game but he was not active with Jones and Monty healthy then.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/devante-mays/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jamaal-williams/

P.S. Mays is also free.

Wow...remember James Starks and his great SPARQ-x rating? 

Mays has him beat by a lot:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/james-starks/

Then again, Starks was a fantasy flop.

1 hour ago, MBarbarian said:

Wow...remember James Starks and his great SPARQ-x rating? 

Mays has him beat by a lot:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/james-starks/

Then again, Starks was a fantasy flop.

I'm not making this claim based solely on SPARQ-x rating. I just linked those so people could check both players out. I have watched tape on both and I think Mays is the more talented back. Secondly, Williams has been extremely uninspiring in his opportunities even dating back to pre-season, it would not be hard to beat him out... I do not expect his performance to change. People are talking in here like it's a foregone conclusion he is going to get 15+ carries. The only reason that happened last game is because there was literally no one healthy left. This won't be the case come next Sunday. I don't think that he is a lock for a sizeable workload and there is some definite risk here. Mays will get in the game and they will explore what he can bring to the table, could he suck too? Sure. However, the Packers are not married to Williams in anyway, he's their 3rd back on the depth chart and was drafted a few rounds earlier than Mays.

7 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I'm not making this claim based solely on SPARQ-x rating. I just linked those so people could check both players out. I have watched tape on both and I think Mays is the more talented back. Secondly, Williams has been extremely uninspiring in his opportunities even dating back to pre-season, it would not be hard to beat him out... I do not expect his performance to change. People are talking in here like it's a foregone conclusion he is going to get 15+ carries. The only reason that happened last game is because there was literally no one healthy left. This won't be the case come next Sunday. I don't think that he is a lock for a sizeable workload and there is some definite risk here. Mays will get in the game and they will explore what he can bring to the table, could he suck too? Sure. However, the Packers are not married to Williams in anyway, he's their 3rd back on the depth chart and was drafted a few rounds earlier than Mays.

I was agreeing with you.  My point was that everyone was flipping out over Starks' SPARQ-x score, but Mays' score is even better than Starks' score...and WAY better than Williams' score...yet it seems people aren't excited about Mays . 

SPARQ-x ratings have to be worth something, right?   If so, the huge difference in their ratings supports the notion that Mays is more talented than Williams and could leap over him...literally.

20 hours ago, Panthor said:

the detractors are missing the forest in the trees.  doesn't matter if he is or is not an all world talent, opportunity/volume is always going to be the trump card for an RB.  no one is saying he is a league winner, or a high end rb1/rb2. what people have been saying is get him on your roster.  

case in point look at Henry, all these tools and can't get on the field with any consisitency.  the NFL has been littered with JAG players at running back that have had success.  you don't need the flashy picks to win, sometimes a grinder is good enough.

JAG grinders are really good fantasy assets on good offenses because they can fall into the endzone with some regularity. Its hard to get excited about someone who runs like Samaje Perine only on a worse lower scoring offense though. With Aaron Rodgers at QB and a healthy line a JAG grinder would be great to have. As it is grinding against stacked boxes for 3 yards and a cloud of dust between ones own 20 and the 50 doesn't offer much upside. I guess the volume creates a floor of around 5 points in standard league and there's always the chance of a short goal line TD (though Hundley will probably try to use his mobility to find the end zone on some carries inside the 10 as well), but those opportunities can be pretty limited even with high volume when its a bad offense.

Jamaal Williams: As of this moment, we know that Aaron Jones is out for multiple weeks and it seems like Ty Montgomery will miss this game after re-injuring his ribs last week. Williams is a talent and one that I liked as a sleeper coming into the year, but things have changed quite a bit. The Packers are no longer the top-five scoring offense they were with Aaron Rodgers. The Ravens are also no joke, as they struggled over the middle of the season without defensive tackle Brandon Williams, but with him back, they’ve gone back to the defense we all remember against the run, allowing just 90 rushing yards on 36 carries over their last two games against DeMarco Murray and Jay Ajayi. But let’s be fair, Williams is likely to see at least 15 touches, making him a low-end RB2 by default, just don’t expect miracles against the Ravens.

On 11/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, jtbgator said:

Jamaal Williams: As of this moment, we know that Aaron Jones is out for multiple weeks and it seems like Ty Montgomery will miss this game after re-injuring his ribs last week. Williams is a talent and one that I liked as a sleeper coming into the year, but things have changed quite a bit. The Packers are no longer the top-five scoring offense they were with Aaron Rodgers. The Ravens are also no joke, as they struggled over the middle of the season without defensive tackle Brandon Williams, but with him back, they’ve gone back to the defense we all remember against the run, allowing just 90 rushing yards on 36 carries over their last two games against DeMarco Murray and Jay Ajayi. But let’s be fair, Williams is likely to see at least 15 touches, making him a low-end RB2 by default, just don’t expect miracles against the Ravens.

I am not too crazy over this guy.. but I will probably start him due to the volume he will get..

2 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

No Ty. No A. Jones. Solid start today. Who's with me?

As solid as can be with an unreliable QB that throws the balance of the offense off. I’m definitely 100% starting him, so I’m with you. But full disclosure, it’s either him or Rawls, so...