NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Williams 2017 Outlook

The Packers' offense went through RB Jamaal Williams on Sunday night. He compiled 135 yards of total offense with two touchdowns. As Mike McCarthy said after the game, "He was obviously a featured player today. I wanted to be balanced in the run and pass, keep the sticks in favorable down and distance. I thought he played very well." Here are the snap counts on offense from the 31-28 loss to the Steelers.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fdemovsky_rob.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropRob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Green Bay Packers

GB: I see you, Brett Hundley. After a rough couple of games to start his career, Hundley has really picked it up recently with relatively strong performances in three of his last four games. He looks really comfortable in this offense and he’s shown an ability to pick apart a bad secondary. No secondary is worse than the Buccaneers on the road; 315 yards and 31 points per game allowed when away from Raymond James Stadium. My favorite player in this game, maybe in any game, is Davante Adams. He’s seen an average of over 9 targets per game over the last month and is clearly the WR1 now in Green Bay. He’s the one player who hasn’t seen his production drop at all since Hundley took the starting job. He should see double digit targets again this weekend. I also wouldn’t hesitate to get a piece of Jamaal Williams at RB. As bad as the Bucs are against the pass, they may be worse against the run (giving up 140 yards per game on the road). Williams has seen just a shade under 20 carries per game since he became the primary ball carrier three games ago. What’s most intriguing about Williams is that he’s seen 11 total targets in the passing game over the last two weeks. That is a ton of volume for a guy that’s priced like a low end flex play. I may very likely stack Adams and Williams and just run with that this week, that’s how much I like both plays.

Jamaal Williams: Welcome to the roller coaster of Packers running backs this season! First it was Ty Montgomerythat everyone wanted, then when he got hurt it was Williams, then it was Aaron Jones, now it’s Williams again. Whew. The Bucs defense has been so inconsistent this year, but if there’s one thing we know, it’s that they allow a lot of rushing touchdowns, now having allowed nine of them on the season. It would appear that Montgomery returns this week, though it’s hard to see him eating into much of Williams’ work. There have been five different running backs to total at least 15 carries against the Bucs and all of them have totaled at least 77 yards on the ground. Because of that, Williams should be played as a low-end RB2 whose ceiling is a bit capped if Montgomery is back in the lineup.

1 hour ago, chump0 said:

No guarantees.  Today will prolly give us a better idea with how limited he is in practice.  Sure hope he does not return this week.

Packers don't practice today. They practice tomorrow. I expect him to be active but to only play if Williams is not balling.

2 hours ago, MovingTheChains said:

Packers don't practice today. They practice tomorrow. I expect him to be active but to only play if Williams is not balling.

I feel Williams is safe for this week. If Jones is active I see them giving him a couple of series.  The week after is when Jones will be back getting the load. 

1 minute ago, CanaBuc said:

I would argue in a winnable game with out him why activate Jones and risk further injury unless he can play. 

As such Benching Williams for Mixon

Sure for Mix but Williams is still a top 15 play regardless of Jones presence IMO

Edited by rotodr

I see Williams as safe this week. Jones isn't near being 100%. Jones could easily suffer re-injury as well. The fact is that Jones has sucked as a receiver out of the backfield. Williams has sucked as a runner. They complement each other in different roles at the RB position. There will be a much more even split of touches when both are healthy. Jones won't dominate the touches when he is back 100%.

Jones got the game-winning TD on his only carry of the game, which seems to have overshadowed Williams being the focal point of the offense and thriving yet again. 

This duo seems to compliment each other nicely. I won't argue that Jones looks faster, more elusive, and probably more explosive overall. But Williams does the little things well, and seems to have the upper hand in pass protection, which often leads to staying on the field more often than not. It's not an ideal situation for fantasy because I think we're looking at neither guy securing more than 60% of the touches. It could come down to who is getting more receptions and who emerges as the favorite in the red zone/ at the goal line. 

I'm not gonna try to predict the ROS usage for him and Jones, but if I had to guess, Williams is still a start for at least next week. My guess is snap count will be close to 70-30 during Week 14 for Williams. 

1 hour ago, oban14 said:

I maintain that if you own one of these guys, you need to own both.  Timeshare, hot hand, whoever, whatever.  Rodgers is coming back and you want this backfield.

Agreed 100%

I think by week 15 both will be worthless. You wont be able to predict who gets the TD etc. Going to be a mess. I have jones and am highly considering dropping him. Only reason why I may not is because of all the crazy injuries going on this year. But either guy is a huge risk as a start going forward.

16 hours ago, oban14 said:

I maintain that if you own one of these guys, you need to own both.  Timeshare, hot hand, whoever, whatever.  Rodgers is coming back and you want this backfield.

I have both and I want to know asap who has the job lol, would like to drop one to pick up one of the other interesting RB's available.