NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Williams 2017 Outlook

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Williams, but there is no way I feel comfortable using him now with Jones back in the fold.  Remember how much the Packers were fawning over Jones earlier this year?  It is a recipe for an even timeshare, and they aren't Ingram and Kamara good such that you could play either one (or both) and be fine.  Combine that with the horrendous schedule (CLE, CAR, MIN) for fantasy playoffs and I think you're courting disaster by starting one of them.  That said, I am holding in case of injury to one of them or to one of my other RBs.

1 hour ago, whadeeb said:

Anyonw know who is starting?

I bet Williams "starts" insomuch as he'll get the first series or two. But the Packers will not be shy about rotating Jones in this week, who I'd bet they'd like to get around 10 carries to see where he is heading into Rodgers return. So I'd peg Williams at ~15 carries versus the ~20 carries he's been getting. Assuming Jones doesn't get really hot and start busting off big plays, or something.

Edited by LongBalls

65-35 Williams to Jones my guess. He's gonna get the early work for sure and a lot of pass catching opportunities. I'm starting him tomorrow. Not sure what will happen after this week though, so this might be the last ride for Williams this season. 

If the Packers can keep the Cleveland offense under control (which I'm not taking for granted with Gordon back) there's no reason they shouldn't run the ball 35-40 times between the backs and Hundly (though some of his won't be planned). 

Edited by P@ckersFan
22 minutes ago, whadeeb said:

Every "expert" podcast has pretty much said start him this week. They say hes the hot hand and we should expect a 75%-25% distribution or so. Im gonna ride with him

+1.  He's played remarkably well even in difficult matchups.  Even a stone cold boob like McCarthy wouldnt be foolish enough to make this resemble a 60/40 or 50/50 type split. 

I like Williams quite a bit today, specifically in the short passing game

3 minutes ago, malta69 said:

+1.  He's played remarkably well even in difficult matchups.  Even a stone cold boob like McCarthy wouldnt be foolish enough to make this resemble a 60/40 or 50/50 type split. 

I like Williams quite a bit today, specifically in the short passing game

Im starting with confidence as well

Started him over Lat Murray. Browns have a leaky run defense and Williams is the back to own. I still think Jones isn't close to being healthy enough for volume touches, but Williams was also their 2nd string RB going into the season. So they obviously liked Williams. He has been running better each game. And he is a great receiver out of the backfield. He is getting stronger as the season goes on.

I think Williams will continue to dominate touches even when Jones is healthy enough for more touches. And in 1/2 or full PPR leagues, Williams is the back to own.

19 minutes ago, ak427 said:

I just love how the guy has looked amazing 3 straight games, and people honestly thought a dude coming off KNEE SURGERY was gonna take over. Williams has earned the spot ROS. 

I don't think Jones had knee surgery, but he was healing from a torn/sprained MCL. Unrealistic to think Jones would be full-go when he came back.

Stats across the past 5 weeks...
Week 10: 74 total yards

Week 11: 95 total yards

Week 12: 135 total yards - 2 TD

Week 13: 123 total yards - 1 TD

Week 14: 118 total yards - 2 TD

Hopefully he keeps getting a chance to be the main guy for GB.