Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jamaal Williams 2017 Outlook


Packdog
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, burninglegs said:

 

He has sickle-cell. As John Brown has shown, the disease causes a lot of issues and especially of the soft tissue kind. He is already banged up and it is just the preseason.

 

 

 

He has the sickle cell trait not the disease. Very big difference. John Brown plays in the desert. Lambeau Field is neither subjected to extreme heat in the fall and winter months nor is it lacking in oxygen.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

 

He has the sickle cell trait not the disease. Very big difference. John Brown plays in the desert. Lambeau Field is neither subjected to extreme heat in the fall and winter months nor is it lacking in oxygen.

 

 

Yes I know that he has SC trait. Patients with sickle-cell trait (one gene for it) can and do experience symptoms, not just those with the disease (have both genes for it). It also isn't just because of playing at elevation or because of extreme heat or cold. Typically sickle cell trait doesn't cause symptoms, but both John Brown and Ty Montgomery both have symptoms and complications. Montgomery missed the week 8 game at ATL because of symptoms flaring up, kidney issues + blood in urine if I recall correctly. Same with John Brown and missing games that weren't at elevation or extreme heat/cold, his mostly being more of the soft tissue kind. Athletes with sickle-cell trait can experience more muscle breakdown (exertional rhabdomyolysis) due to having the trait as well as more serious complications like exertional sickling, acute Ischemic rhabdomyolysis...etc. So just like Montgomery experienced last year in missing the game, that is something he will probably have to deal with the rest of his life. Especially while being a professional football player as physical exertion causes it to flare up. Montgomery is already banged up with a leg injury this preseason (I believe they are calling it soft tissue related). Opens up the door for Williams to get a crack at things. Again, I don't see Montgomery lasting a fun 16 game season with a full RB working and making it the whole season without issues.

 

 

 

 

 

That's probably enough off topic talk in the Williams thread about sickle-cell trait.

Edited by burninglegs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more and more a guy is held out in preseason, the less I like him.  TyMont and Gillislee have come crashing down my boards.

 

Jamaal Williams is going to have opportunity at some time this year.  TyMont will still probably be the guy when healthy, and I don't think Williams is going to outplay him, but there might be a few weeks when he's gold.  Wonder if it's worth the roster spot though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

The more and more a guy is held out in preseason, the less I like him.  TyMont and Gillislee have come crashing down my boards.

 

Jamaal Williams is going to have opportunity at some time this year.  TyMont will still probably be the guy when healthy, and I don't think Williams is going to outplay him, but there might be a few weeks when he's gold.  Wonder if it's worth the roster spot though.

 

In competitive leagues, to win the whole thing you really need to be looking weeks in advance and trying to predict what is going to happen, so that you can prepare for it and get ahead of it before it happens and beat the other teams to the punch. Who knows if Jamaal Williams will be any good against starting caliber NFL defenses. Who knows if GB will even use him this season. But right now GB is saying all the right things about him. He looked good from the limited view I got of him. Plus there is a narrative that isn't too far fetched that gets him touches in that GB offense. For late round RB lotto tickets, one just has to decide which of the lotto tickets has the most upside and go from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 1:37 AM, burninglegs said:

 

Yes I know that he has SC trait. Patients with sickle-cell trait (one gene for it) can and do experience symptoms, not just those with the disease (have both genes for it). It also isn't just because of playing at elevation or because of extreme heat or cold. Typically sickle cell trait doesn't cause symptoms, but both John Brown and Ty Montgomery both have symptoms and complications. Montgomery missed the week 8 game at ATL because of symptoms flaring up, kidney issues + blood in urine if I recall correctly. Same with John Brown and missing games that weren't at elevation or extreme heat/cold, his mostly being more of the soft tissue kind. Athletes with sickle-cell trait can experience more muscle breakdown (exertional rhabdomyolysis) due to having the trait as well as more serious complications like exertional sickling, acute Ischemic rhabdomyolysis...etc. So just like Montgomery experienced last year in missing the game, that is something he will probably have to deal with the rest of his life. Especially while being a professional football player as physical exertion causes it to flare up. Montgomery is already banged up with a leg injury this preseason (I believe they are calling it soft tissue related). Opens up the door for Williams to get a crack at things. Again, I don't see Montgomery lasting a fun 16 game season with a full RB working and making it the whole season without issues.

 

 

 

 

 

That's probably enough off topic talk in the Williams thread about sickle-cell trait.

 

GB felt comfortable enough to risk Montgomery in high altitude (DEN) in a meaningless preseason game. I'm not concerned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

 

GB felt comfortable enough to risk Montgomery in high altitude (DEN) in a meaningless preseason game. I'm not concerned. 

 

Already had a leg injury in preseason. I am concerned. Part of the reason I live by the "don't draft players that are injured before the season starts."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

I just lost Ware for the year and this guy was out there as the best option to add. TY is a smallish framed back(kinda means nothing but still worth noting) who wasn't exactly an ironman last year. There are worse pickups.

This is why we draft on 9/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IHateFFButCantStop said:

I just lost Ware for the year and this guy was out there as the best option to add. TY is a smallish framed back(kinda means nothing but still worth noting) who wasn't exactly an ironman last year. There are worse pickups.

Monty is 6'0" 220. Not that small of a back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

GB felt comfortable enough to risk Montgomery in high altitude (DEN) in a meaningless preseason game. I'm not concerned. 

 

To be fair McCarthy is also one of the worst coaches in the league.  Him playing Ty in a meaningless game is more likely his own ignorance then a well thought out decision.

Edited by Millertime81
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does Aaron Jones not exist?  Why is everyone so confident that the work will be relegated to Jamaal Williams if Ty goes down?  I think if Ty goes down this will be a meaningless backfield with Jones/Williams cannabilizing each other

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kdko said:

Does Aaron Jones not exist?  Why is everyone so confident that the work will be relegated to Jamaal Williams if Ty goes down?  I think if Ty goes down this will be a meaningless backfield with Jones/Williams cannabilizing each other

he is in there tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, kdko said:

Does Aaron Jones not exist?  Why is everyone so confident that the work will be relegated to Jamaal Williams if Ty goes down?  I think if Ty goes down this will be a meaningless backfield with Jones/Williams cannabilizing each other

isn;t it sort of a meaningless backfield anyway? Are people expecting Tye to get all the goal line work and short yardage plays as  opposed to ripkowski, williams or jones?

Edited by grimsfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2017 at 0:37 AM, burninglegs said:

 

Yes I know that he has SC trait. Patients with sickle-cell trait (one gene for it) can and do experience symptoms, not just those with the disease (have both genes for it). It also isn't just because of playing at elevation or because of extreme heat or cold. Typically sickle cell trait doesn't cause symptoms, but both John Brown and Ty Montgomery both have symptoms and complications. Montgomery missed the week 8 game at ATL because of symptoms flaring up, kidney issues + blood in urine if I recall correctly. Same with John Brown and missing games that weren't at elevation or extreme heat/cold, his mostly being more of the soft tissue kind. Athletes with sickle-cell trait can experience more muscle breakdown (exertional rhabdomyolysis) due to having the trait as well as more serious complications like exertional sickling, acute Ischemic rhabdomyolysis...etc. So just like Montgomery experienced last year in missing the game, that is something he will probably have to deal with the rest of his life. Especially while being a professional football player as physical exertion causes it to flare up. Montgomery is already banged up with a leg injury this preseason (I believe they are calling it soft tissue related). Opens up the door for Williams to get a crack at things. Again, I don't see Montgomery lasting a fun 16 game season with a full RB working and making it the whole season without issues.

 

 

 

 

 

That's probably enough off topic talk in the Williams thread about sickle-cell trait.

 

Great explanation, thanks for sharing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, grimsfield said:

 

isn;t it sort of a meaningless backfield anyway? Are people expecting Tye to get all the goal line work and short yardage plays as  opposed to ripkowski, williams or jones?

 

I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the number 1 running back in an Aaron Rodgers offense is meaningless simply because said running back is not guaranteed to see all the goal-line touches but you should start the problem over and make sure to show your work. This is how people piss away fantasy leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grabbed Jaamal late in drafts as a decent flier.  T Montgomery is a good pass catcher, but just an okay runner.  There are opportunities in GB's backfield beyond pass blocking if someone gets hot running the rock.

Edited by Red Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...