NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamaal Williams 2017 Outlook

9 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

Mays. 

Possible, but Mays has been inactive for 2/3 of the season even with all of the injuries to the Packer running backs. If/when he suits up, it's hard to see him having a role.

I think all of these dominoes are dependent on Montgomery's injury. I would say it's more likely than not that Green Bay signs another running back, as Skins mentioned above. Whoever it is probably won't be ready for a realistic role this week, especially considering that Williams is a very good pass blocker and the Packers may be best suited (barf) leaning on Hundley's passing. We've seen the struggles quality runners have had without Bulaga. I shudder to think what's going to happen for the next 6 weeks. They'll need Ty healthy if they're trying to win football games.

Our options for this week, assuming Ty is out, are: Williams as lead back, then Cobb/Mays. You can put a free agent running back in the 1/2 spot going forward if Montgomery is out next week as well, and maybe bump Williams down if Cobb/Mays are able to flash in limited carries. As far as Cobb, the Packers may be better suited with him as a receiver on quick hitters, with Williams there to protect Hundley. There are a lot of ways this can go. In standard leagues I don't think anyone is rosterable outside of Williams/Ty this week.

4 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Thanks. It might be worth researching more into him than Williams. Williams is straight doodoo.

It's dependent to a degree on opportunity though. Everyone that watched preseason knew Williams couldn't run, and that Jones was solid. And when Ty got hurt, Williams was the back for the brief moment before he got hurt as well. In prior games, Williams was the only one getting any snaps at RB. If Mays never touches the ball, he's never going to run away with the job, right?

Edited by miasma16
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to be really sleeping on this guy. Why wouldn't he be in line for the same sort of role/production that Aaron Jones was several weeks ago?

• Montgomery is still banged up and hasn't shown the ability to handle a big workload and stay on the field. 
  • Williams was originally pushing Montgomery for snaps in the preseason before suffering injuries of his own. 
  • Williams was drafted 48 picks ahead of Jones. 
  • Jones is out 3-6 weeks (and the Packers are notoriously cautious with injuries)
  • The Packers are running the ball more since Rodgers has been out of the lineup.
  • Williams understands pass protection assignments/schemes (something TyMont still struggles with)
  • Williams runs with good pad level, balance, power, and finishes his runs. 

Seems like a situation that is ripe for at least low end RB2/flex production moving forward. With the state of RBs around the league, I expected he would be more of a hot commodity on waiver wires (and in this forum)...

13 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

People seem to be really sleeping on this guy. Why wouldn't he be in line for the same sort of role/production that Aaron Jones was several weeks ago?

• Montgomery is still banged up and hasn't shown the ability to handle a big workload and stay on the field. 
  • Williams was originally pushing Montgomery for snaps in the preseason before suffering injuries of his own. 
  • Jones is out 3-6 weeks (and the Packers are notoriously cautious with injuries)
  • The Packers are running the ball more since Rodgers has been out of the lineup.
  • Williams understands pass protection assignments/schemes (something TyMont still struggles with)

Seems like a situation that is ripe for at least low end RB2/flex production moving forward. With the state of RBs around the league, I expected he would be more of a hot commodity on waiver wires (and in this forum)...

I agree I have Bell/Fournette/Ingram on my roster (Got realllllly lucky in the draft hehe) but I still picked up Williams. He seems like a good asset with RB2 upside. If he pans out hopefully I can trade him or just trade one of my other backs for AB and have Williams as a solid flex 

Edited by Breesus
On 11/12/2017 at 4:37 PM, miasma16 said:

He's still a bum. Should be added in all leagues if Jones and Ty both miss next week, obviously, but even with a full workload I doubt he does much with it. If your team is good, you won't ever use him anyway. He's one of the worst runners in the league.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:56 PM, oresteszero said:

Thanks. It might be worth researching more into him than Williams. Williams is straight doodoo.

Can you guys elaborate on why he is "one of the worst runners in the league" and "straight doodoo"? I have not seen him play at all, and while I understand that not all NFL players are great, reasons as to why they aren't great are much more helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

Can you guys elaborate on why he is "one of the worst runners in the league" and "straight doodoo"? I have not seen him play at all, and while I understand that not all NFL players are great, reasons as to why they aren't great are much more helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Probably just scanning box scores and seeing a crappy YPC, not realizing that Williams got a bunch of short yardage carries last week and converted several of them into key first downs...

23 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Thanks in advance.

Then the best thing you can do is watch him.

Jamaal started the season as the #2 because he's a good pass blocker, especially for a rookie. His athleticism is poor. He has no speed and he can't make people miss. He has terrible vision, and simply runs whatever play is called regardless if the hole has been filled or not. He runs hard, but he doesn't appear particularly strong either. He provides little to nothing in the running game. Again, it was evident in preseason that Jamaal was far from the handcuff many touted him as. Jones flashed. Jamaal didn't. 

You asked, I answered. Again, he should be owned in all leagues. 

I think everyone has this impression that he sucks because Aaron Jones looked better than him one primetime game vs the Bears on a handful of carries.

Not saying he's a world beater but I agree that he's certainly better than the general sentiment on him out there

he is the volume guy until Monte is healthy then it is rbbc time.  so he is worthy of at least a bench spot if not a flex spot.  doesn't matter if you don't like his talent or think he sucks.  he is going to get the opportunity to produce.  and at running  back opportunity and volume are the kings

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

he is the volume guy until Monte is healthy then it is rbbc time.  so he is worthy of at least a bench spot if not a flex spot.  doesn't matter if you don't like his talent or think he sucks.  he is going to get the opportunity to produce.  and at running  back opportunity and volume are the kings

See:  Sam Perine

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

Some of the highlights from last week's game showed pretty good power/burst in my opinion. 

I see nothing new. 3 yard gain with hard running and his trademark stiff arm. I see no burst, and I don't think the power is impressive either. He gets dropped by arm tackles pretty frequently. 

3 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

There's no sleeping on this guy.  Jones put out much better tape with his preseason touches and regular season touches. They were both taken during the bottom half of the draft so the order in which they were drafted no longer matters. Is he serviceable?  Heck yeah he is, but combine the upcoming schedule and the fact that Monty most likely won't miss much time and you have a dart throw flex play for a couple weeks.  Next two Packers games are Ravens and Steelers.  The bucs are after that which is a juicy match up but Montgomery will surely be back by then.

Edited by iheartrubio
Just now, kdko said:

He's already had a 'bellcow' load earlier in the year and s--- the bed.  That's the point.

back around the same time the entire offensive line injured themselves.  They were regarded as one of the best O lines in football before that point and they are starting to get healthy.  There should be running room for Perine as long as he can hold onto the ball, but this is a Jaamal Williams thread.

55 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

People are way too quick to write off rookies/young players. Sometimes it takes guys some time to get their feet under them and play confident/loose. 

Jury is still out on Williams. Speed is overrated for RBs. 

Did you watch him play in his limited opportunity earlier this year?  He got passed by Jones, for whatever that's worth.

People are excited for him because he is going to have "guaranteed volume".  But what is guaranteed volume good for if you only get 3 yards a run and you don't fall into the endzone?  (See Doug Martin.)  Plus, the RW blurb today says that Mays is going to be getting carries as well.

1 minute ago, CooL said:

Did you watch him play in his limited opportunity earlier this year?  He got passed by Jones, for whatever that's worth.

People are excited for him because he is going to have "guaranteed volume".  But what is guaranteed volume good for if you only get 3 yards a run and you don't fall into the endzone?  (See Doug Martin.)  Plus, the RW blurb today says that Mays is going to be getting carries as well.

Like I said before - sometimes it takes guys some time to get their feet under them and play confident/loose.

I'm not sure that those limited opportunities tell the whole story about his talent/potential. For every rookie who hits the ground running and dominates, there's about a handful who take some time to get up to speed. 

5 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Like I said before - sometimes it takes guys some time to get their feet under them and play confident/loose.

I'm not sure that those limited opportunities tell the whole story about his talent/potential. For every rookie who hits the ground running and dominates, there's about a handful who take some time to get up to speed. 

My point is that Aaron Jones - also a rookie who had limited opportunity - passed this higher drafted rookie.  Sure, make the argument that this kid needs time to ramp up and learn the game.  Didn't seem to take Aaron Jones that long.  Does that make Jones the better player?  Seems like it, since the team chose him over Jamaal.

But alas, now the team is stuck with Jamaal.  So congrats to the kid for now being the "starting RB",  He probably feels like the fugly girl who gets picked up at last call only because she's the last one left.