Derek Fisher 2017 Outlook

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lets hope they keep him up 

Wednesday, but there's talk of Springer being ready to roll by this weekend's series in Detroit. What happens next for Fisher is uncertain. Houston is expected to welcome back Dallas Keuchel (neck) and Will Harris (shoulder) from the disabled list this weekend, and roster spots will be needed. Fisher's MLB ready right now after more than 500 at-bats at Triple-A, but there isn't much room on the current roster for him unless the Astros decide to move on from Norichika Aoki. He could, however, be used as the price to acquire a needed piece (a reliever) for the stretch drive, which could put him in a situation where he can play in the majors every day. We should learn more about Fisher's immediate future in the next week.

I was at the game yesterday and he looked cool, calm, and collected out there in centerfield. You have to wonder what's going through is mind. There is such a range of possibilities to where he will be in one week. It has to be taxing on his brain.  Nola was dealing so hopefully their management doesn't take one game out of context.

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Fisher leading off tonight against the Tigers. Springer to the DL should keep him up at least for those 10 days.

They're giving him every opportunity to succeed now by batting him 2nd and 1st, so hopefully he takes advantage of it.  He's not going to get a better chance.  I think he will.

25 minutes ago, B&F said:

Nori Aoki to Blue Jays for Liriano.

Fisher owners rejoice!

This is very confusing to me. I understand that Aoki doesn't do much for them, but really? Liriano is the SP you want? I guess this means they're out on Gray...

Very good news for Fisher owners. I guess he made a good impression early. I wonder if he stays that high when springer comes back? I would live for a Fisher-Springer-Altuve top 3. Although Springer will probably stay leadoff.

1 minute ago, swingbatter said:

so we all think fisher is going to start in LF ROS, correct?   rumble young man, rumble!

Exciting news.

I would think the only thing stopping is when comes back Marwin could come back to the OF, but that is a ways off!

34 minutes ago, mtblock said:

This is very confusing to me. I understand that Aoki doesn't do much for them, but really? Liriano is the SP you want? I guess this means they're out on Gray...

liriano will be coming out of the pen.

Picked up fisher this morning, turned out to be a solid move.

29 minutes ago, mtblock said:

I doubt Liriano was the SP they wanted most, but this way they don't lose any of their best prospects.

The Astros have a young core of stars and a great farm system. They're set up to contend for the next five years. They don't need to be all-in to win right now.

45 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I guess he's happy to see Aoki go.  Granted in an 11-2 game, going 2-4 with a solo HR isn't as flashy as you would think it could be, I'll definitely take it.

He just tacked on an RBI double. That make it flashy enough for ya? ;)

1 minute ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He just tacked on an RBI double. That make it flashy enough for ya? ;)

Nope, I expected at least 4-5 with 2 HRs and 6 RBIs.  I'm cutting him...

Yeah, that'll do actually. ;)  I wasn't sure he was getting another AB after my post.

2 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Everyday PT available now! And he's showing he can make the most of it, perfect. Could be up for good now, and what a environment to hit.

I'm loving that I got this kid in my keeper league. You're right about the perfect environment for him to be in at this stage of his career. There's really no pressure at all on him right now with the team being in such a huge lead in the division and a ton of other talent around him to shoulder the load. 

When Springer then later Correa come back where do you figure he'll hit in the lineup and who gets bumped? I imagine Springer and Correa get put right back into their respective leadoff and cleanup slots. I feel like it might be a slim chance but does the team consider keeping him at leadoff and having a 2-4 of either Altuve, Springer, Correa or Springer, Altuve, Correa? That would be ideal but again I think it might be wishful thinking on my part. 

In terms of who he bumps from playing time I think Beltran is the easiest guy to project for fewer ABs. Marisnick is another I could see losing some time but I assume with him being their CF that he is their best defensive outfielder so that is probably less likely. 

As much as it hurt, I traded Fisher in a keeper league (along with Schebler) for Betts. Now that Aoki has been traded, I hope I don't end up regretting it ROS, but we agreed to the deal prior to Fisher's recall. The kicker is that Betts cannot be kept next spring while Fisher can be kept for two more years. I really like Fisher, and I'm enthused to see what kind of longterm impact he has beginning next year. If Bregman can finish strong and carry it over into 2018 and Fisher can be the 20-20 candidate many think he can be, that Houston lineup is going to be stupid ridiculous next year.