NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dice-K

Im so glad Dice-K pitched unbelievable tonight with a complete game, throws it back in everyones faces that arent giving this kid a shot.....especially after the worthless controversy with leyland...He truly hasnt pitched bad at all and still coming into his own.

Whats everyone elses thoughts?

I love it especially since CGs are a cat in my league AND HE DIDN'T WALK ANYBODY!!!!!!!! I was really suprised they put him in their in the 9th though with the lead they had and with how cautious they have been with his pitch count lately.

The controversy with Leyland was the result of a slow news day and those people that like to read entirely too much into every little comment. This is just more Dice-K.....it's what you had to expect all year long. Flashes of brilliance mixed in with flashes of incompetence. As an owner, I'm thrilled but I'm reserving my long-term judgements until after the all-star break.

Im so glad Dice-K pitched unbelievable tonight with a complete game, throws it back in everyones faces that arent giving this kid a shot.....especially after the worthless controversy with leyland...He truly hasnt pitched bad at all and still coming into his own.

For me, the same as previously stated a million times. B)

I agree, I couldnt believe they put him in for the 9th.....but after the sox got some more runs in the 8th and wasnt a save situation, I had a feeling they would bring him back in due to the fact that he was only at 108 pitches and was still throwing hard and accurate..........WTG DICE-MAN !!!

I'm not complaining or anything but I was shocked the K #s were down tonight.

Thou shalt NOT taint the outing of the Divine Dice!

Seriously, less K's are a good thing in real life as less pitches are thrown to earn outs.

Seriously, less K's are a good thing in real life as less pitches are thrown to earn outs.

If he had more K's in this game, he would've pitched an inning or two less. I'm content with 5 K's from my SP, and very happy with the ERA/WHIP boost as a result of the complete game performance. The only, ONLY gripe I would have is I was irritated with Granderson hitting that HR. He's yet to have a start without giving up a run.

As a new Dice-K owner, yeah, you can say I'm pleased...especially since CG and BB are pitching categories in my league. I sold high on Penny following his 14K game (and subsequent win on Saturday), and I'm glad to see my trade pay off already. You'll find this Yankee fan rooting for Matsuzaka!

I couldnt agree more.....if people actually watched him pitch instead of just looking at his high era, they would realize what great stuff this kid has....so many people kept saying hes going to be a career #3...i totally disagree....hes a 1 or 2 imo....plus my league gives bonus points for complete games and shutouts...i see him with about 5 CG's this year...remember, in Japan he always finished games out and threw lots of pitches...he prob has a Livan Hernandez type arm.

c2

he still threw a ton of pitches...i'm very curious to see how he pitches in his next start...

yeah... that 4.80 ERA is sweet!!! get real man. dice isnt worth the hype.

hr pitches in the AL bud....if he gets that era around 4 with a ton of K's and 15-17 wins pitching for the sox, hes more than worth the hype....

yeah... that 4.80 ERA is sweet!!! get real man. dice isnt worth the hype.

Yea man!!! You really know what you're talking about! His ERA is 4.17, not 4.80. That 4.80 was to start the game. Do remember, he's a friggin rookie pitching in the AL East! Not only that, he's pitching with completely different baseballs and 87837487239429348237 people watching his every move. He's definately starting to figure it out, as he's shown in his last 2 starts. He's a great pitcher and he's going to have a very good MLB career. Stop being so bitter and negative and just appreciate how good this guy is, so when sox are stompin all over your team, you'll see why. B)

Wow you Boston fans are sensitive. Maybe it's me, but I don't really hear anyone not giving this kid a shot. And the controversey with Leyland? Leyland's team just gave up 16 runs and they ask him about the other team's pitcher. Do you think he should have started praising him? All he basically said was he didn't care about the other team's pitcher, who happened to be Dice. Would've said it about anyone.

I'm not trying to bash Yank fans or anything and this is a serious question, will ANY Yank pitcher have a better FANTASY year than Dice-K? Hughes and Clemens obviously won't count because of the time they've missed out on.

I have another question. Let's say that the Yankee had paid $100 mil for Dice & he had joined the Yankees. Let's say that while in pinstripes, Dice had earned the exact same stats that he has today? In this scenario, what would Red Sox fans say about the pinstriped Dice? Would the word "hype" come up in his pinstriped evaluation?

I have another question. Let's say that the Yankee had paid $100 mil for Dice & he had joined the Yankees. Let's say that while in pinstripes, Dice had earned the exact same stats that he has today? In this scenario, what would Red Sox fans say about the pinstriped Dice? Would the word "hype" come up in his pinstriped evaluation?

I'd say he's no Josh Beckett! B)

The $100 million thing is inaccurate anyway. Matsuzaka only sees $52-60 million (based on incentives) of that money. $52 million went to Seibu for the rights to negotiate for him. That money can basically be marked off as a marketing expense...money that the Red Sox will see coming back to them and then some after all the advertising and merchandising that will result from Matsuzaka's marketing power both in Japan and North America. Matsuzaka this season has a $6 million salary (+$2 mil signing bonus). That's less than what Pettitte ($16M), Mussina ($11M), and Pavano ($10M) are each making.

Archived