NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Olsen 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/10/2017 at 3:59 PM, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

I wonder how many games this guy lost owners this week

I benched Doyle in that blizzard for him,didn't lose my game but thanks to Doyle's TD on my bench I lost high score of the week which pays $10 in our league.

5 hours ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

I sense that last week was some sort of test to see if he could hold up over the course of the game. I expect his role to start to expand from here... Hopefully he can be a top 10 TE for the next few weeks. I am going to roll him out over Brate. 

i owned Olsen at the start of the season. He wasn't getting a ton of targets before he got hurt. I'm not sure I'd be counting on him getting a lot of looks in the next couple weeks. 

On 12/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, PackerBacker555 said:

How does Greg Olsen play that many snaps and only get 1 target? Did he not run a lot of routes or what? I didn’t see the game

Ha!  I knew better!  I started Graham instead, so I got TWO targets!  Bwahahahaha! <_<

I thinks there worst starts out there too though. The TE position outside of kelce,  ertz and gronk has just been volatile. V Davis, brate, graham, walker etc have all had weeks where they disappear. This game has a potential to be high scoring. He played a lot of snaps last week. No apparent setbacks. I mean I don't feel great about it but I think im rolling the dice this week. 

Was listening to the ESPN Golic and Wingo show this morning on my way to work, and they were talking to Ron Rivera, he was very excited about Olsen and said he thought that Olsen was ready specifically saying he handled a high snap load last week and that his route running was back to where it was in training this week. Could be a smoke screen, could be true.

Interesting

WR Devin Funchess vs. CB Damarious Randall – The Panthers most reliable receiver has seen his production slow a bit as of recently, his catch rate of 51.9 percent the last three weeks is second-lowest among wide receivers with at least 25 targets. But the tough matchups against Marshon Lattimore and Xavier Rhodes the past two weeks would make any receiver work hard for his receptions. Funchess’ biggest struggles have come via the deep ball (20-plus yards downfield), where he’s been targeted 19 times but has been only able to haul in three of them for receptions. Randall on the other hand has been one of the stingiest corners deep, allowing a passer rating of 13.3 on those passes. In the past three weeks, Randall has only allowed a passer rating of 33.3 on any passes thrown his way, which is the fifth-lowest mark in the league.

TE Greg Olsen vs. LB Blake Martinez – Since Olsen’s return from injury two weeks ago, Panthers tight ends have accounted for only 11.5 percent of Cam Newton’s targets. Olsen only has 0.36 yards per route run in that span, the third-lowest in the league, and his 0.52 yards per route run for the season is on pace for the lowest of his career by over half a yard. Over half of his snaps played this season (52 percent) have been run blocking, if that continues it’ll be the first time in his career that over half of his snaps have been in the running game. Martinez leads the Packers’ defense in snaps covering a tight end and he has allowed a passer rating of 120.2 to the position. His 49.2 coverage grade is the 47th-highest among linebackers this season.

11 hours ago, herschel said:

So what are people thinking about Olsen this week?  

Starting him in my highest-stakes SF. He's a low-end TE1 for me this week. Classic case where the analysts mockingly tell you not to play him, he explodes, and then they call him a must-start week 16. 

i wouldn't start him. he wasn't getting targets before he got injured and i don't think he's going to get targets now. also cam is not throwing the ball well. 

obviously it depends on who else you have to run out there but i don't think he's much more than name value at this point.