NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Forte 2017 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, A27K said:

It's a couple things. One is they probably are going to do right by Forte and don't want to keep a guy on the roster who's potentially taking away carries from guys  they want to see if they can handle the full workload into next season. Two is that according to everyone in the world "they're tanking" or trying to this year.... so why block Powell. You're right they have no reason to get rid of him, especially if they're already going to use McCown and not throw the young kids into the fire. As a Jet fan, all I can say is they will still mess up trying to tank on purpose to get a QB. The defense is too good not to get a few wins this year, and even if you took a high end QB you still have no offensive line and literally no receiving core. We all saw what happened to David Carr's career when the Texans were created.... 

I doubt it has anything to do with 'doing right by Forte' it's more than likely a simple move to see if there is legit market demand for him in order to get some of his guaranteed salary off their books.  He doesnt add anything to their season except rb depth.  Right now I doubt see a team take would take him withot forcing the Jets to eat the bulk of his salary but u know crazier things have happened in the NFL; one player goes down and u go from the garbage to the penthouse.

Edited by dashoe
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, A27K said:

He's more than likely going to be released. This has Patriots written all over it. 

If that is announced, I think you have to try to sell high there.  Nothing quite like a Patriots trade to add a premium to price without the increase in opportunity to go with it. 

21 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Is Forte washed up (anything left in the tank or just fumes)? Or are the Jets just clearing out all the vets and letting the kids play?

looked fine in limited action this preseason - maybe he's asking to get out and they are partial on it. 

27 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

looked fine in limited action this preseason - maybe he's asking to get out and they are partial on it. 

Makes more sense then.  

But if not, can anyone please give a logical reason why they would out-right release him?

Edited by theSPANKER
1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

Makes more sense then.  

But if not, can anyone please give a logical reason why they would out-right release him?

Roll over cap savings into future years, clear a spot for a younger player who could potentially develop.  This assumes they're embracing the Suck for Luck Darnold strategy.

As I suspected all along is true:

Matt Forte classified trade rumors surrounding his name as "fake news."

"There’s nothing to even talk about," Forte said after the preseason finale. "Fake news." Forte also said GM Mike Maccagnan told him that reports are "not true." The Jets have every reasong to explore the trade market for Forte, but they're unlikely to find any takers for Forte's fully guaranteed $4 million base salary. Gang Green would gain nothing by releasing the 31-year-old."

The Jest have absolutely no incentive to release Forte.  
Edited by theSPANKER
1 hour ago, undefined said:

Honestly thinking of dropping him for a Shane Vereen type.  That's how bad it is.

Why would you do that? In the Powell thread you think the Jets will run him into the ground, so why not let them do that for two weeks and see what you could get for him? 

You targeted a Jets RB, what were you expecting? the above scenario is best case (Powell would have been fools gold as a workhorse on the Jets). 

2 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Why would you do that? In the Powell thread you think the Jets will run him into the ground, so why not let them do that for two weeks and see what you could get for him? 

You targeted a Jets RB, what were you expecting? the above scenario is best case (Powell would have been fools gold as a workhorse on the Jets). 

I was being a little sarcastic in the Powell thread.  Truth is if they are playing both these backs, neither can be trusted enough to put in a lineup.

I didn't target him, by the way.  He's a hold-over in a dynasty league. 

Forte is not getting cut.   If they are paying him 4 million either way (cutting him does not take anything off of the cap) then they will keep him.  He might get traded basically for nothing to dump his contract but he's not getting cut AND if he's not getting cut he's starting until he breaks.  Why?  I'll give you 4 million reasons why.

18 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan4Life said:

Forte is not getting cut.   If they are paying him 4 million either way (cutting him does not take anything off of the cap) then they will keep him.  He might get traded basically for nothing to dump his contract but he's not getting cut AND if he's not getting cut he's starting until he breaks.  Why?  I'll give you 4 million reasons why.

Yeah, at this point the Jets can careless about a measly 4 million dollars.  They are completely purging the team and gearing up for the the #1 pick in the draft.  4 million dollars means nothing for any team let alone the Jets.  The Browns just cut Osweiler for $16 million without blinking an eye.  Forte is not the future of the Jets.

21 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

Yeah, at this point the Jets can careless about a measly 4 million dollars.  They are completely purging the team and gearing up for the the #1 pick in the draft.  4 million dollars means nothing for any team let alone the Jets.  The Browns just cut Osweiler for $16 million without blinking an eye.  Forte is not the future of the Jets.

As much as I agree with this post we have no idea what kind of mind boggling things the Jets do. I'm almost tempted to post that draft video where Jet fans are all disappointed in their draft picks. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets cut Hackenberg and line Forte up at QB to see how he runs the wildcat.

I sincerely hope the Jets front office isn't as inept as the Browns.  I also hope you aren't insinuating that Forte is as inept as Osweiller.   Of course Forte is not the future of the Jets.  The Jets have no future.   If it was me, I would play Forte till he either breaks or shows enough that teams desperate for a real running back (ie philly, baltimore, packers, lions) will take on his contract.  

Edited by WhiteSoxFan4Life