NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aroldis Chapman 2017 Outlook

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to be the guy that  says "see this is why you don't draft closers early." I'm not going to be that guy. 

Edited by jstep13

Not one ball left the infield tonight.  Seeminglu no control of his pitches, two bad plays by his infielders, a pitch that got completely away from him to nail Moreland and the beautiful climatic walk to Benintendi. 

Also the double steal by Mookie and Pedroia seem to shake him.  Sanchez didn't stand a chance to throw to either base because it looked like Chapman forgot to check the runners at all.  That took away the double play and put runners on 2B and 3B with nobody out.  I really think that double steal really messed with his head.  After that double steal Sanchez kept pointing to his eyes then to 3B several time as in "Hey, pay attention.  Don't let Mookie steal home now as well."

Maybe the Yankees should check in with Cincy.  I hear they have a pretty good closer these days, heh.

3 hours ago, jstep13 said:

I'm not going to be the guy that  says "see this is why you don't draft closers early." I'm not going to be that guy. 

Just to build off this.  I had the worst luck with closers last year.  In second half last year between Madison, Will Harris, David Robertson and Jeanmar it was so loser getting blasted for a blown save every other night.  So I went closer heavy this year in my auction.  My plan was to trade them for value but oops.  Got Chapman - Bust.  Britton - hurt all year.  Melancon - sucks a** and hurt.  Kelvin Herrera - bust loser.  Familia - lol. And Kimbrel - WOW blind squirrel found a nut.  Outside of Familia, the other 5 were consensus top 10 closers with pretty fantastic track records.  I'll never pay for saves again.

Chapman is mentally soft. Yes he does throw 100 mph, he can probably close out low pressure situations but he doesn't have what it takes to work under pressure. This guy will fizzle out as closer pretty soon.

4 minutes ago, Greenpack said:

Chapman is mentally soft. Yes he does throw 100 mph, he can probably close out low pressure situations but he doesn't have what it takes to work under pressure. This guy will fizzle out as closer pretty soon.

Mentally soft? You mean he didn't pitch in the World Series and was a key part of it? 

36 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Mentally soft? You mean he didn't pitch in the World Series and was a key part of it? 

Yes he was a key part of handing the series to Cleveland. Until some guy named Montgomery gave it back to the Cubs.

2 hours ago, Greenpack said:

EZrXPbE.gif

• 1 month later...

It was pretty ominous back in April/May that something wasn't right with him.  Don't think he's been totally healthy all year.  Not to make excuses for him but I documented early in the season his slider was lifeless.  Wonder if he'll come at a discount next year.