NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

He had a lot of nagging injuries last season that hurt his fantasy numbers. He has been working with HOF Moss and could breakout this season.

He's currently going in the 10th round in PPR leagues.

Source: DetroitLions.com - Tim Twentyman

Detroit Lions WR Marvin Jones focused on strengthening his lower body to improve his explosiveness this offseason. He worked out with former NFL WR Randy Moss to help him in that endeavor and to improve his yards after the catch. Head coach Jim Caldwell praised Jones for the offseason he has put together so far. 'This guy is right there on the verge of maintaining that kind of explosive start that he had last year,' Caldwell said. 'He's really, really had a real good spring.'

• Like 1
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be glad you did    Jones is good whenever not matched up against elite CB's. Stafford has too many options to force ball to Marvin vs elite shadow corners. If against elite corners who are st

Between Weeks 8 and 15 he struggled with foot and quadriceps injuries.  I still don't know the details of what they were, exactly.   The Lions, Caldwell in particular, are always super hush-

Thinking good thoughts, thinking Marvin warrants a 2018 thread.   Then again, I’d be ok with not starting a 2018 thread, with letting Marvin fall into obscurity a bit, promoting forgetfulne

I'll bite.

The injuries did slow him down.  And the line didn't really give the offense much time to let the deep routes develop, either.  Throw in Stafford's thumb injury, and it was frustrating toward the end.

The line's much better.  The injuries are gone.  He should certainly deliver value above where he's being drafted currently, I would think.

1 hour ago, HOFConnection said:

I see he is trying to get better and that's great. The thing is he was supposed to be a #1 receiver and I don't see a lot of consistent progression to see him as that number one

http://wealthyfantasyfootball.com for my updated ranking at WR

Tate is still there and he garners attention. I see upside in Jones,especially with being healthy and his speed.

Jones is at a good value in the drafts as well. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

He had a lot of nagging injuries last season that hurt his fantasy numbers. He has been working with HOF Moss and could breakout this season.

Source: DetroitLions.com - Tim Twentyman

Detroit Lions WR Marvin Jones focused on strengthening his lower body to improve his explosiveness this offseason. He worked out with former NFL WR Randy Moss to help him in that endeavor and to improve his yards after the catch. Head coach Jim Caldwell praised Jones for the offseason he has put together so far. 'This guy is right there on the verge of maintaining that kind of explosive start that he had last year,' Caldwell said. 'He's really, really had a real good spring.'

12 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'll bite.

The injuries did slow him down.  And the line didn't really give the offense much time to let the deep routes develop, either.  Throw in Stafford's thumb injury, and it was frustrating toward the end.

The line's much better.  The injuries are gone.  He should certainly deliver value above where he's being drafted currently, I would think.

Is it me or were these injuries very quiet(TOTALLY HIDDEN) last year.

I remember a ton of head scratching as to why he suddenly stopped producing and ended up thinking of him as the SELL HIGH poster child of early 2016.

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Is it me or were these injuries very quiet(TOTALLY HIDDEN) last year.

Between Weeks 8 and 15 he struggled with foot and quadriceps injuries.  I still don't know the details of what they were, exactly.

The Lions, Caldwell in particular, are always super hush-hush about injuries.  Even more than normal NFL teams, it seems.  Though, part of that may be that they get such little media attention.  I've thought countless times that I wish Caldwell wouldn't be so difficult, though.

• Like 3

People are probably sour to him after last year. He's in a good situation this year on and offense that moves the ball and doesn't have a standout red zone guy on their team with Anquan out. Really like his prospects tho esp if he stays as cheap as he is now. He burned me last year tho, after week two I thought I had a stud WR1 who was a steal in the 6th. He fell off the map hard.

Love to hear guys thoughts on if the Lions O can support 2 top 24 WR. It seems like a team that could get so much volume concentrated on these 2 guys it could be a windfall. Stanford has put up big years before. If they can come up with an adequate replacement for Decker the Oline is improved. 

15 hours ago, Ravensdan said:

Love to hear guys thoughts on if the Lions O can support 2 top 24 WR.

No, probably not.  I'd only expect Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and maybe the Colts or Saints to support 2 top 24 receivers.

Doesn't mean Marvin Jones can't be a great spot start when the matchup is right and deliver the occasional WR1 week here or there.

Tate will continue to be the high volume low TD player, most likely to finish top 24.

11 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

No, probably not.  I'd only expect Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and maybe the Colts or Saints to support 2 top 24 receivers.

Doesn't mean Marvin Jones can't be a great spot start when the matchup is right and deliver the occasional WR1 week here or there.

Tate will continue to be the high volume low TD player, most likely to finish top 24.

In ppr I can see both of the Lions guys finishing top 24.

• 1 month later...

For the price, get him.  I still don't like him.  The Lions WR's can't beat jams off the LOS.  They can't get enough separation when they don't get jammed. The offense seems to be very dink and dunk, and I wish we'd gone after a guy like Pryor to keep defenses more honest. Tate and Jones seem to be very similar in play styles.

First four games last year:  482 yards, 2 TDs

Next twelve games last year: 448 yards, 2 TD (none after week 6)

Again, super cheap, so why not.  I just don't care for the look of our offense.

Edited by Sternes
9 minutes ago, Sternes said:

For the price, get him.  I still don't like him.  The Lions WR's can't beat jams off the LOS.  They can't get enough separation when they don't get jammed. The offense seems to be very dink and dunk, and I wish we'd gone after a guy like Pryor to keep defenses more honest. Tate and Jones seem to be very similar in play styles.

First four games last year:  482 yards, 2 TDs

Next twelve games last year: 448 yards, 2 TD (none after week 6)

Again, super cheap, so why not.  I just don't care for the look of our offense.

Uhh what? The offense? If Abdullah stays healthy (big if) and with the addition of Galloway, I'm not sure  how you don't like this team. Stafford was producing ridiculous numbers until he hurt his finger. 

Also, theres been talk he was injured, so that could've played into this. I don't really see the dink and dunk you are referencing too as that wasn't the case last year..

On 6/20/2017 at 8:36 AM, TX Babe Ruth said:

I owned Jones last year. The injuries were NOT to blame for his ineffectiveness unless the team hid something from the media we didn't know. You looked like a genius last year if you had him, then all of a sudden second half of the year came and Tate was getting targeted way more often. I'd still target him this year as a buy low and for what its worth... Lions paid a lot of money to have him on the team as their starting wideout. Bounce back year for Stafford and I wouldn't be surprised if he had 80 catches, 1000 and 7-8 TDs. 

17 hours ago, lavaman said:

Why shouldn't Marvin lead his team in Receiving Yards and TD's?  I can't think of any reason. Draft with confidence.

You mean other than Golden Tate being their clear cut number 1 WR?

I do like them both this year very much.

26 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

I don't think you need to reach at all. He seems to be available late into drafts. 

Well it's just i believe people will start to notice is all as we get deeper into drafts, and that late 14th might become 13th and so on, just think he might be worth a little more than his current adp

• Like 1

I love Jones this year.  You can get him 5+ rounds later than Golden Tate and he's a better player IMO.  He's always a big play threat and now with Boldin gone his red zone looks should go up too.  Plus it's his 2nd year in this offense which will help.  Really don't understand why he's falling so far in drafts.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Texansfan said:

Really don't understand why he's falling so far in drafts.

Partly because people have recency bias and focus on how he "faded" after getting to a hot start. Plus (maybe most important) is that the shiny Kenny Golladay has entered the minds of fantasy owners.

He's falling because he's never really shown any consistency through his entire career. Even if he has a couple blow-up weeks it'll be hard to play him because he has often done that, and then gone completely quiet the next week and put up zero points. I have no issue taking him in the double-digit rounds, but until he demonstrates any sort of consistency he's going to be one of those guys you're petrified to put in the line-up week-to-week.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic