NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

The targets are scary because this guy is the team's deep threat. I don't have the numbers/charts but I would assume most of the routes he runs take longer to develop and are down the field. And he is probably deeper down the progression of receivers for the QB.

I wish they would involve him more on short or intermediate routes. He is very talented. I'm really thinking of going with Shepard over him this week.

13 hours ago, devaster said:

The targets are scary because this guy is the team's deep threat. I don't have the numbers/charts but I would assume most of the routes he runs take longer to develop and are down the field. And he is probably deeper down the progression of receivers for the QB.

I wish they would involve him more on short or intermediate routes. He is very talented. I'm really thinking of going with Shepard over him this week.

Literally in the exact same situation and mindset.... it’s either boom or bust for Marvin Jones lately..... if he doesn’t get that 60 yard catch last 2 weeks he would’ve been garbage, id rather get the safer floor in a guy like sterling Sheppard then the big play potential ceiling but very low potential floor in Marvin jones with only 3 catches the last 2 weeks very scared about that even though he’s looked like a beast 

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Thoughts on 2018? 

Pretty good price so far. Has a solid QB, better O Line, better running game (?) and I believe Marvin has been a more efficient WR with his targets than Tate. Stafford seems to like him a lot and they might want to test MJ as the #1 with Tate entering the final year of his contract.

At the price he's at now, I like him a lot.

17 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Thoughts on 2018? 

Thinking good thoughts, thinking Marvin warrants a 2018 thread.

Then again, I’d be ok with not starting a 2018 thread, with letting Marvin fall into obscurity a bit, promoting forgetfulness, and keeping his ADP lowish. There’s a chance his ADP will rise as high as Round 3 by September, whereas now it’s 5-6, $6-16 in auction.

• Like 3

Just now, FreakFries said:

better running game (?)

Haha.

2 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I believe Marvin has been a more efficient WR with his targets than Tate.

Actually, Tate is more efficient and receives more targets, but Marvin’s TD ceiling is higher. 

I’ve been seeing these two switch places in drafts, even in PPR leagues, neither overly expensive, which would make sense only if Golladay has some monumental breakout.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cohenstantinople said:

Haha.

Actually, Tate is more efficient and receives more targets, but Marvin’s TD ceiling is higher. 

I’ve been seeing these two switch places in drafts, even in PPR leagues, neither overly expensive, which would make sense only if Golladay has some monumental breakout.

That's it.

I was looking at targets the other day and Tate had a lot more of them but MJ finished with more points. On that note, I believe Tate was one of the lowest scoring WRs over the last few years among those with the amount of targets he had which I think is usually in the 130-140 range (?). I guess that could be because of Cooter's offense. Still, I like MJ.

9 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I was looking at targets ... Tate had a lot more of them but MJ finished with more points. On that note, I believe Tate was one of the lowest scoring WRs over the last few years among those with the amount of targets he had which I think is usually in the 130-140 range (?).

Thing is, what happens after the catch—YAC—is a category where Tate is golden, #1 for WRs, #4 overall in 2017 (just after Bell; notably the same ranking as 2016 as well). But as he’s a chain mover and not a red zone target, his role undermines his upside (i.e. PPR = no brainer; 120 targets last season, 135 the year before; standard = no thank you). 

• Like 1

• tonycpsu changed the title to Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook