NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

23 hours ago, Texansfan said:

I love Jones this year.  You can get him 5+ rounds later than Golden Tate and he's a better player IMO.  He's always a big play threat and now with Boldin gone his red zone looks should go up too.  Plus it's his 2nd year in this offense which will help.  Really don't understand why he's falling so far in drafts.

Nah Tate is the better receiver. They just have different roles and there's no reason to think both can't provide value, more so Jones, especially since he's going so late  

Edited by street sharks

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Peterson shadowed Marvin Jones Jr most of the game. Thanks goodness for the touchdown as he was my WR2 for the week. Not complaining. Tate had a great game and Golladay will be a waiver wire target this week. Thinking the Giants will be focusing on shutting down Tate and an extra eye on Golladay next week. MJJ may get some extra targets and possibly a similar performance to this week. I have Corey Coleman on my bench. Debating whether to start him over Jones next Sunday. But the Browns are playing the Ravens, and well they're the Browns. With Stafford flinging it 40 times a game there should be enough targets for MJJ to have WR2 upside.  I hope. 

MJJ's snap count was an amazing 68 on Sunday. He was in on 68 of the 71 plays that Stafford ran. That's noteworthy. Tate was in 63 while Golladay was in 44. Worth holding on to if you have this guy. Not sure if should start him or Corey Coleman, but with a snap count of 68 and Stafford flinging it 40 times a game, it's hard to bench this guy.

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

He's definitely still the #2 WR there ahead of Golladay. Sucks Peterson locked him down but he still scored a TD so can't complain too much. Better days are ahead although Golladay will still vulture receiving TDs now & then unfortunately

Watching the game in Arizona, "definitely still the #2" seems transitive, like Marvin will definitely be the #2 all week in practice and then become #3 on Monday night.

Golladay will emerge as the WR1

it's just a matter of time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Watching the game in Arizona, "definitely still the #2" seems transitive, like Marvin will definitely be the #2 all week in practice and then become #3 on Monday night.

Ah, I see you posting in the Golladay thread. Seems like a very unbiased take lol

• Like 1

Let Golladay become the 1, that's cool. Let's see how the rookie handles double teams or the shutdown corner of the D.  MJJ will burn the 2nd or 3rd CB on any team! I think any WR on this offense that you shut down, will make Stafford spread the love. Imagine the lockdown corner of Golladay, the 2nd CB on Tate and the 3rd or nickel guy on MJJ? Yea, I'm okay with that. Even with less snaps I see solid production in this scenario. IMHO of course.

Edited by sdlengua

45 minutes ago, fyasko said:

He will be boom or bust, we all knew this coming in.  He will be close to his numbers from 2016.  If the running game can get going he will have more opportunities for big games. 

He averaged 11.49 points per game in ppr last year.  I think that will go down this year with Golloday taking some deep looks and healthy Enron taking red zone looks.

Edited by ccimore

Anyone contemplating dropping him in a short bench league? He's scored a TD in each game so far but volume is questionable and I don't feel I'll ever feel comfortable starting him. Of course, there's reason to hold in case he's in for a blowup this week at home vs. ATL...

Edited by the Ghost of Joe Webb

30 minutes ago, the Ghost of Joe Webb said:

Anyone contemplating dropping him in a short bench league? He's scored a TD in each game so far but volume is questionable and I don't feel I'll ever feel comfortable starting him. Of course, there's reason to hold in case he's in for a blowup this week at home vs. ATL...

I'm holding and hoping he blows up for a trade. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, the Ghost of Joe Webb said:

He's faced 2 of the best secondaries in the league and scored on both of them. Maybe Trufant shadows him this week, but his future looks bright IMO. 

On 9/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, cohenstantinople said:

LOL

Hard to drop this week since they're playing ATL. Starting and hoping for a shootout. Stafford looks a little better than he has in the past. Not panicking in the pocket but rolling out and buying some time for his receivers to get open. If MJJ averaged 11.49 for the season in PPR last year that's a decent flex play for me. But I'm terrible at FF. 

Marvin Jones who I didn't start netted more points than Amari Cooper / Terrelle Pryor and my flex start Corey Coleman combined this week. Yea, darn right I got blown out. 

Edited by sdlengua

4 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Jones basically plays every snap for the Lions and hardly gets targeted. Anybody watch Lions games and know why this is? No receiver on the Lions roster is even close to him in snap count.

1. Shadowed by Patrick Peterson (yet still caught a TD)

2. Faced NYG secondary (still caught TD on Apple)

Problem is, he may be shadowed by Trufant this week...

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

1. Shadowed by Patrick Peterson (yet still caught a TD)

2. Faced NYG secondary (still caught TD on Apple)

Problem is, he may be shadowed by Trufant this week...

That's exactly what I see happening. Tate will get all the PPR love and Golladay will be the redzone threat. Stafford goes to the path of least resistance ever since Megatron left. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

3 hours ago, KareemX said:

Jones basically plays every snap for the Lions and hardly gets targeted. Anybody watch Lions games and know why this is? No receiver on the Lions roster is even close to him in snap count.

More accessible options I'd guess. Tate, Ebron, Riddick, Abdullah are all going to be involved every game. Lions are trying to run the ball more too. I dropped him in my 10 team ppr and standard leagues and nobody else has grabbed him. Like I mentioned above, only 7 targets through 2 games isn't very inspiring for fantasy purposes.

16 minutes ago, street sharks said:

More accessible options I'd guess. Tate, Ebron, Riddick, Abdullah are all going to be involved every game. Lions are trying to run the ball more too. I dropped him in my 10 team ppr and standard leagues and nobody else has grabbed him. Like I mentioned above, only 7 targets through 2 games isn't very inspiring for fantasy purposes.

A touchdown each week is very inspiring for fantasy purposes

• tonycpsu changed the title to Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic