NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be glad you did    Jones is good whenever not matched up against elite CB's. Stafford has too many options to force ball to Marvin vs elite shadow corners. If against elite corners who are st

Between Weeks 8 and 15 he struggled with foot and quadriceps injuries.  I still don't know the details of what they were, exactly.   The Lions, Caldwell in particular, are always super hush-

Thinking good thoughts, thinking Marvin warrants a 2018 thread.   Then again, I’d be ok with not starting a 2018 thread, with letting Marvin fall into obscurity a bit, promoting forgetfulne

6 minutes ago, zen25 said:

Is it worth picking him and starting next week over Willie Snead.

Bye week coming up.  I have no idea what Tate's injury was, but assuming he's back after the bye I wouldn't trust Jones.  If Tate's prognosis is to miss extended time then yeah, Marvin will probably be worth something.

Just now, hines said:

he still is never open. he is actually a bigger part of the offense than he deserves based on being open, but he does have good ball skills and Stafford trusts him a lot just chucking it to him

He's also faced elite CBs every week:

Peterson, NYG, Trufant, Rhodes, Bradberry, Lattimore (who shut down Cooks, KB and Parker entering this game).

The schedule softens considerably after the bye. 

• Like 1

that's true and I sort of think it's weird how opponents shadow him with their top CB bc he doesn't actually seem that good to me. but maybe they know more than I do and he starts tearing apart soft defenses, I just don't think his yardage ceiling is that high

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He's also faced elite CBs every week:

Peterson, NYG, Trufant, Rhodes, Bradberry, Lattimore (who shut down Cooks, KB and Parker entering this game).

The schedule softens considerably after the bye. 

57 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Golden Tate (shoulder) is expected to miss "a few weeks."

WR2 value for a little bit? 

Depends on Tate's injury.

Next two weeks: Bye, PIT. Not so good. If Tate back in 2 weeks I may not even bother.

If this is a multi week injury, DET gets CLE, GB, CHI after PIT. That would be worth having him on the roster for sure.

• Like 1

If Tate is out for Pitt and beyond, Jones is going to eat. Jim Bob Cooter is under a ton of scrutiny for his vanilla play calling and conservative pass plays. He's going to have to open it up a bit. Ebron is a headcase and an afterthought, no need to worry about him helping fill Tate's void. Jones should be getting 8-10 targets per game at least without Tate. This offense is short on playmakers. They have alot to figure out over the bye, offensive line being #1.

tl;dr: Jones makes for a solid WR2 in fantasy without Tate. 

Edited by Motown_Magic
  • Like 2

I always see videos of all of a players targets or carries or touches etc... Even seen them in preseason for Joe Williams among others. I also see them in the basketball forum too, what I'm wondering is if Marvin's 14 targets from week 6 are anywhere to be seen?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, turner46 said:

I always see videos of all of a players targets or carries or touches etc... Even seen them in preseason for Joe Williams among others. I also see them in the basketball forum too, what I'm wondering is if Marvin's 14 targets from week 6 are anywhere to be seen?

Thanks

all you need to see is this one...

• Like 1
On 10/16/2017 at 1:08 PM, kyoun1e said:

Depends on Tate's injury.

Next two weeks: Bye, PIT. Not so good. If Tate back in 2 weeks I may not even bother.

If this is a multi week injury, DET gets CLE, GB, CHI after PIT. That would be worth having him on the roster for sure.

Isn't it pretty much already determined he's out a few weeks with the sprained AC joint on the MRI?

It looks like my matchup against my opponent will be decided Sunday night. I was hoping no one had any big names playing in either prime time game. 

Why I'm bringing that up. I think Jones is an excellent sneaky add Sunday night or Monday before MNF. If it worked out for me, I'd love to drop my streaming defense or something like that and add Jones. If your game is essentially decided (for better or worse)...I think it would make sense to scoop him up. 

Tons of bye weeks coming up. 

On 10/18/2017 at 6:05 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

Isn't it pretty much already determined he's out a few weeks with the sprained AC joint on the MRI?

I've heard nothing definitive on Tate's injury. It's unclear what exactly the injury is and how long he is to be out.

That said, reports indicate Tate is in a sling. But that could mean anything. If he tore his rotator cuff...he's out a while, but who knows.

this guy gets a lot of targets but defenses don't ignore him (he usually has best corner and often a safety bc he goes deep) and he is never open. just creates as little separation as any WR in league. prepare to be frustrated, but you almost have to start him due to situation and TD threat

It actually might not be such a bad thing if Tate plays. Tate would hopefully draw Joe Haden, who seems to be getting back to his old self and shut down AJ Green (again) Sunday.

Both Steeler CBs have been good this year though. They've allowed the least fantasy points to WRs so far this season.

I'm thinking of starting Jones either way. But like I said, if Tate plays, that might not be a bad thing.

Edited by Fiveohnine
6 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

It actually might not be such a bad thing if Tate plays. Tate would hopefully draw Joe Haden, who seems to be getting back to his old self and shut down AJ Green (again) Sunday.

Both Steeler CBs have been good this year though. They've allowed the least fantasy points to WRs so far this season.

I'm thinking of starting Jones either way. But like I said, if Tate plays, that might not be a bad thing.

It's a good thing. Golloday is out and it would not be good if MJ was the only decent WR for them to focus on. Tate will draw some attention but probably is still gimpy so MJ could dominate targets. Could be a YUGE game incoming...

• tonycpsu changed the title to Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic