NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

34 minutes ago, Woonga24 said:

Selling window is pretty much closed. Can't even get anything for him. I tried selling him for Baltimore D and got rejected lol

Be glad you did :D

Jones is good whenever not matched up against elite CB's. Stafford has too many options to force ball to Marvin vs elite shadow corners. If against elite corners who are stationary the Lions move him around in formation to get him at least decent looks. Tate plays inside so #1 shadow guys almost never lockup on him. Knowing that you can pretty much know which games to sit Marvin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be glad you did    Jones is good whenever not matched up against elite CB's. Stafford has too many options to force ball to Marvin vs elite shadow corners. If against elite corners who are st

Between Weeks 8 and 15 he struggled with foot and quadriceps injuries.  I still don't know the details of what they were, exactly.   The Lions, Caldwell in particular, are always super hush-

Thinking good thoughts, thinking Marvin warrants a 2018 thread.   Then again, I’d be ok with not starting a 2018 thread, with letting Marvin fall into obscurity a bit, promoting forgetfulne

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

Jones is good whenever not matched up against elite CB's. Stafford has too many options to force ball to Marvin vs elite shadow corners. If against elite corners who are stationary the Lions move him around in formation to get him at least decent looks. Tate plays inside so #1 shadow guys almost never lockup on him. Knowing that you can pretty much know which games to sit Marvin. 

So what should we do for tomorrow?

2 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

This.

Unfortunately we thought Stafford would target him more than twice against Jason McCourty last week. 

I'm starting him in 3/4 leagues I own him; Fuller isn't an elite CB.

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed
7 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

So what should we do for tomorrow?

Play him...Fuller has struggled and the con artist formerly known as Prince who somehow keeps getting paid well beyond his production aren't shutdown guys. Amukamara rates highly because everyone picks on Fuller. It's like the field is tilted towards Fuller's side.

I wouldn't expect a huge game but at least 4-5 catches for 60 yds. If he can get in the end zone it will be a serviceable day. I don't think he will get shutdown under 40.

Big concern is if Lions interior defense can't step up. Howard will pound the middle where Cleveland had success last week. If they can move the chains & shrink the clock it will limit the Lions offense. Time of possession needs to be at worst even for Detroit to put up some numbers.

Lions might actually have the starting line on offense all together for the first time this year. It'll be tested by Bears front seven. Chicago blitzing tried to confuse Hundley & the Packers makeshift line last week. I don't see them trying it as much on Stafford and leaving themselves open for the big play. That's why I don't think Marvin will have a huge day. Their safeties are good in coverage and can help to keep everything in front of them on deep balls. Probably going to be a checkdown day to RB's out in patterns when wideouts take coverage deep.

We will see how close I am in predicting the game plan.

Edited by howlin' 2
3 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

Play him...Fuller has struggled and the con artist formerly known as Prince who somehow keeps getting paid well beyond his production aren't shutdown guys. Amukamara rates highly because everyone picks on Fuller. It's like the field is tilted towards Fuller's side.

I wouldn't expect a huge game but at least 4-5 catches for 60 yds. If he can get in the end zone it will be a serviceable day. I don't think he will get shutdown under 40.

Big concern is if Lions interior defense can't step up. Howard will pound the middle where Cleveland had success last week. If they can move the chains & shrink the clock it will limit the Lions offense. Time of possession needs to be at worst even for Detroit to put up some numbers.

Lions might actually have the starting line on offense all together for the first time this year. It'll be tested by Bears front seven. Chicago blitzing tried to confuse Hundley & the Packers makeshift line last week. I don't see them trying it as much on Stafford and leaving themselves open for the big play. That's why I don't think Marvin will have a huge day. Their safeties are good in coverage and can help to keep everything in front of them on deep balls. Probably going to be a checkdown day to RB's out in patterns when wideouts take coverage deep.

We will see how close I am in predicting the game plan.

Amukamura has been good his whole career whenever healthy; he's not a "con artist". There's a reason QBs are avoiding him and targeting Fuller instead. 

On 11/18/2017 at 5:56 PM, howlin' 2 said:

At least I was half right. 

Marvin was good - Baltimore "D" was stupendous ! 

I'm sitting him this week, but I have Dez Bryant and Alfred Morris as my flex options.  If I didn't have the depth I'd probably roll him out there even in a tough matchup.  Lions typically play well on Turkey Day and I could see that game being a shootout if Keenum is still throwing the ball well.

44 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Anybody worries about Xavier Rhodes shadowing him tomorrow?

Yes, I'm worried.  Last time he faced Minn, he only got 2 catches for 42 yards.  I'm probably going to bench him, and take my chances with Doctson. 

On 11/22/2017 at 9:42 AM, Tugginroot said:

Anybody worries about Xavier Rhodes shadowing him tomorrow?

I don’t think Rhodes should be excited about facing Marvin Jones either tbh. 

Either way, as a top 10 fantasy WR Marvin is in stud territory right now. I doubt many people are in a position to sit him. 

21 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I don’t think Rhodes should be excited about facing Marvin Jones either tbh. 

Either way, as a top 10 fantasy WR Marvin is in stud territory right now. I doubt many people are in a position to sit him. 

Ppr rankings I'm looking at him sitting at 17 overall.

58 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Witching hour, anybody know if Rhodes will cover Tate in the slot, it big he's a shadow guy etc?  Wondering which CBs get Tate, Galloday etc.

Rhodes doesnt go into slot. Jones will be shadowed by him 

Tate will see old man Newman 

Edited by Sean Tambo
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic