NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, Tugginroot said:

Not sure what to make of him next week.  Another tough CB on him, feel like if you bench him, he's gonna go off, if he's in your lineup it could be for 4 points.

This. You almost have to set him in the lineup and deal with the ups and downs regardless of situation or matchup. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be glad you did    Jones is good whenever not matched up against elite CB's. Stafford has too many options to force ball to Marvin vs elite shadow corners. If against elite corners who are st

Between Weeks 8 and 15 he struggled with foot and quadriceps injuries.  I still don't know the details of what they were, exactly.   The Lions, Caldwell in particular, are always super hush-

Thinking good thoughts, thinking Marvin warrants a 2018 thread.   Then again, I’d be ok with not starting a 2018 thread, with letting Marvin fall into obscurity a bit, promoting forgetfulne

6 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Trolled the heck out of most analysts who predicted a dud against Rhodes...on national TV. 

Glad I was forced to start him in 2 leagues. Targets cure all.

Trolled them after the fact?

Just now, psygolf said:

Trolled them after the fact?

You don't understand. I was saying that Jones trolled all the "experts" who said he should be benched despite being a top-20 WR on the season. And did it on national TV for good measure. 

Just now, joshua18 said:

You don't understand. I was saying that Jones trolled all the "experts" who said he should be benched despite being a top-20 WR on the season. And did it on national TV for good measure. 

Aah...Golf clap for Marvin

I love this guy. Disappointed in myself for getting scared by Rhodes and benching him. Even if it was the "right decision" on paper, I think he is getting to the point where you just play him every week and take the good with the (occasional) bad. 

I think there's a strong case to be made that he's a fantasy WR2 moving forward, and I don't just mean this year. He's signed in Detroit for another 3 years after this one (his age 28, 29, and 30 seasons), and Stafford just re-upped so barring a trade they will get to continue building their chemistry. 

It's clear that the Lions and opposing defenses view Jones Jr. as the #1 wideout, and Tate is more of secondary/PPR option. Stafford seems to be getting increasingly comfortable throwing into tight windows and letting Jones Jr. make great individual plays. 

BUY BUY BUY

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I love this guy. Disappointed in myself for getting scared by Rhodes and benching him. Even if it was the "right decision" on paper, I think he is getting to the point where you just play him every week and take the good with the (occasional) bad. 

I think there's a strong case to be made that he's a fantasy WR2 moving forward, and I don't just mean this year. He's signed in Detroit for another 3 years after this one (his age 28, 29, and 30 seasons), and Stafford just re-upped so barring a trade they will get to continue building their chemistry. 

It's clear that the Lions and opposing defenses view Jones Jr. as the #1 wideout, and Tate is more of secondary/PPR option. Stafford seems to be getting increasingly comfortable throwing into tight windows and letting Jones Jr. make great individual plays. 

BUY BUY BUY

I would disagree with this. Seems to me that Zimmer schemed with multiple players to stop Tate and left Jones on an island vs Rhodes since Rhodes has shut him down before. Last thanksgiving Zimmer schemed to stop Ebron and he put up a donut. 

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I would disagree with this. Seems to me that Zimmer schemed with multiple players to stop Tate and left Jones on an island vs Rhodes since Rhodes has shut him down before. Last thanksgiving Zimmer schemed to stop Ebron and he put up a donut. 

Most defenses have put their #1 corner on Jones Jr. dating back to last season. Doesn't that generally indicate that he is the WR opposing defenses fear the most and want to shut down? I guess certain teams may mix and match depending on the size of their CBs and their skillsets, but generally speaking I think it's been known for a little while now that Jones Jr. is seen as the bigger threat. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Most defenses have put their #1 corner on Jones Jr. dating back to last season. Doesn't that generally indicate that he is the WR opposing defenses fear the most and want to shut down? I guess certain teams may mix and match depending on the size of their CBs and their skillsets, but generally speaking I think it's been known for a little while now that Jones Jr. is seen as the bigger threat. 

We'll see if teams without elite CBs double Jones, which I haven't seen happen yet. Then I'll know they fear him more than Tate. 

As a Jones owner, I hope he keeps producing. The upcoming BAL defense looks impressive until you actually look at the QBs they've faced (Dalton, Kizer, Manuel, Trubisky, Hundley, Savage). They made Bortles look like a HOF QB earlier this season. Only 4 of their first 11 games will they have faced a QB who was his team's week 1 starter. 

17 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

If you're buying or playing him next week against the Ravens, you're chasing stats/points.

It will be interesting to see how he's ranked going into that matchup. He's cleared 85 yards in 5 of his last 6 matchups, and they weren't all cupcakes. I know the Ravens have been very tough on WRs but I just wonder if he's graduated to must-start status. His only recent dud was vs. McCourty and the Browns and Stafford only attempted 26 passes and only targeted Jones Jr. twice (he caught 1-of-2 targets for 22 yards). 

Call me a points chaser if you must but I'll probably just roll with him at flex (he's my #4 wideout). 

Edited by mjb03003

A lot of teams are following the Belichick move of putting shutdown DB's on the #2 WR so they can shade double coverage towards what they deem to be the#1 threat whether it's a TE, RB or WR. Even goes back to Prime Time days when he would shutdown one side of the field and not chase the #1 . If the #1 lined up on his side Deon took him on 1on1, other side he got doubled. Lends itself towards continuity for defense and setting up blitzes.

Lions need a healthy Golladay to draw attention from safeties or soon the coverage will rotate towards Marvin and take deep ball away

15 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

A lot of teams are following the Belichick move of putting shutdown DB's on the #2 WR so they can shade double coverage towards what they deem to be the#1 threat whether it's a TE, RB or WR. Even goes back to Prime Time days when he would shutdown one side of the field and not chase the #1 . If the #1 lined up on his side Deon took him on 1on1, other side he got doubled. Lends itself towards continuity for defense and setting up blitzes.

Lions need a healthy Golladay to draw attention from safeties or soon the coverage will rotate towards Marvin and take deep ball away

Golladay doesn't help Jones; he's been more productive and seen more targets/game when Golladay has been hurt. 

12 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Tate plays in the slot and the #1CB on every team plays on the outside so it doesn't make sense for them to put him on Tate.

11 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

If you're buying or playing him next week against the Ravens, you're chasing stats/points.

Nah...the guy is averaging 19 points a game over the last 8 weeks, with only 1 dud in that time frame. Those are wr1 numbers. I'm playing him next week cause I'm chasing his average production over the last 2 months

1 hour ago, ukdesi said:

Nah...the guy is averaging 19 points a game over the last 8 weeks, with only 1 dud in that time frame. Those are wr1 numbers. I'm playing him next week cause I'm chasing his average production over the last 2 months

Variance

4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

You can't chase what you already have...he's been a starter for owners for awhile.

So everybody that owns him now, has owned him from the beginning, and started him every week, thus not chasing points.  Some people here might disagree, but OK, gotcha ?.

13 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Golladay doesn't help Jones; he's been more productive and seen more targets/game when Golladay has been hurt. 

You mean like Thanksgiving day :huh:

But anyway the point is Marvin has been getting lots of one-on-one covers albeit a lot of the time from the shutdown elite guys if the opponent has one...most teams used safeties to help on Tate , even Riddick @times or support for the run. Since Marvin has been on a tear making them pay on big plays / TD's soon the defensive coordinator will be sending help & double coverage his way.

Golladay the last two weeks has had a big play or two each week in limited snaps. It'll be pick your poison when he gets up to 100%. Teams will have to respect KG 's threat as opposed to T.J. Jones which will help Marvin keep doing his thing vs one-on-one...Unless they want to trust their 2nd or 3rd CB's to stop KG.

No KG look for plenty of safeties over the top in MJ, Jr's future

I also sat him this past thursday because of the whole xavier rhodes coverage thing. Not making that mistake again hes just been too productive of late to sit I feel like cb-wr matchups are really over rated by the so-called experts - there are very few true shut-down shadow corners that are legit game changers like Revis back in 2010-11 for example. With the glut of articles and content available now I think it can be really easy to fall into the "paralysis by analysis" trap. I'll just be plugging this guy in unless there is an actual legit concern ie horrible weather or Stafford being out. 

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

You mean like Thanksgiving day :huh:

But anyway the point is Marvin has been getting lots of one-on-one covers albeit a lot of the time from the shutdown elite guys if the opponent has one...most teams used safeties to help on Tate , even Riddick @times or support for the run. Since Marvin has been on a tear making them pay on big plays / TD's soon the defensive coordinator will be sending help & double coverage his way.

Golladay the last two weeks has had a big play or two each week in limited snaps. It'll be pick your poison when he gets up to 100%. Teams will have to respect KG 's threat as opposed to T.J. Jones which will help Marvin keep doing his thing vs one-on-one...Unless they want to trust their 2nd or 3rd CB's to stop KG.

No KG look for plenty of safeties over the top in MJ, Jr's future

Both of Jones other 100 yard receiving games came with Golladay out; his worst game of the season was Golliday's first game back. Facts are facts. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic