Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Larry Fitzgerald 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

Ramsey's absence should not have an effect on Fitzgerald. I don't see the Jaguars modifying their defense, only substituting for Ramsey.

 

Well if they sub for Ramsey could that mean they move Aaron Colvin (who is pretty good as a slot corner) to one of the outside corners and then leave Fitzgerald to face a worse corner in the slot? Or would they have the 4th string corner play outside and keep colvin in the slot still. Not sure how teams treat the slot corner in a situation like this.

Edited by spidybl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I committed heresy last week and suggested that Fitz sit against JAX.  My rosters were the better for it.

 

Son of Bum and the Rams D did a number on Fitz earlier this year in LA.  Why do we think it is going to be any different versus the Rams in Phoenix?

 

Once again, to be clear, the reason to sit Fitz for a second week is ceiling, not floor.  Fitz is assured of some action regardless.  We know that.  His line may even end up respectable if AZ has to chase points most of the day (a good bet) .  But if the game devolves into a relatively tight division contest, l'm afraid we may looking at another stinker for Fitz.  Options are in play (again) IMO.

 

 

  

 

 

Edited by Rolling Thunder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I committed heresy last week and suggested that Fitz sit against JAX.  My rosters were the better for it.

 

Son of Bum and the Rams D did a number on Fitz earlier this year in LA.  Why do we think it is going to be any different versus the Rams in Phoenix?

 

Once again, to be clear, the reason to sit Fitz for a second week is ceiling, not floor.  Fitz is assured of some action regardless.  We know that.  His line may even end up respectable if AZ has to chase points most of the day (a good bet) .  But if the game devolves into a relatively tight division contest, l'm afraid we may looking at another stinker for Fitz.  Options are in play (again) IMO.

 

 

  

 

 

Difference between this week and last week is jax offense vs rams offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, yanksman said:

Difference between this week and last week is jax offense vs rams offense. 

 

Garbage time far more likely?

 

I acknowledged that in my post, but AZ faced a 33-0 deficit in LA earlier this season and Fitz managed a grand total of 5.9 pts (PPR).

 

LA is a division rival that understands all too well that AZ's pass offense goes through Fitz, and LA has the assets in the secondary to limit Fitz if they choose.  They've proved already this season that they can take him away.  

 

You would need a very decent option to sit Fitz (for me, Doctson, which I passed on, and Drake), but the lack of any big upside (at least to my mind), combined with a disconcerting floor, renders Fitz optional this week IMO.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game is at home and should be much more competitive.  Believe it or not but Gabbert is playing a lot better than expected.  I mean, JAX probably has the best defense in the league and he played very well against them.

 

Can't ignore that he's still getting 8+ targets per game.  Still gives him a nice floor.  Have to take that JAX game with a grain of salt as he was literally shadowed by the top corner in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

unless they use fitz outside a lot again, which will infuriate me, this should be a high floor game for him, with gameflow in his favor (rams should score a buttload, think the 2nd half vs seattle on tnf). and the ceiling for him should be just as high as it was in the games before the jax game.

 

bench at your own risk imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anteater99 said:

unless they use fitz outside a lot again, which will infuriate me, this should be a high floor game for him, with gameflow in his favor (rams should score a buttload, think the 2nd half vs seattle on tnf). and the ceiling for him should be just as high as it was in the games before the jax game.

 

bench at your own risk imo

Edited by Tax77
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tax77 said:

 

im confused was this an affirmation of my post that you then edited because you were embarrassed about your outburst of manlove for me

 

something like "OMG anteater you nailed it you always have the best takes will you be the godfather to my children???"

Edited by Anteater99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Let's pray to the football gods that he returns for the 2018 season! So we can draft him again in the 5th or 6th round, put him in our lineups week 1 and never look back all season long. Larry Legend.

He already signed a 1 year extension - he'll be back for 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

He already signed a 1 year extension - he'll be back for 2018

 

The Cardinals offered him the 2018 extension so that he remains a Cardinal IF he chooses to be back for 2018. As has been the case last year, Fitzgerald will take some time in the offseason to contemplate retirement and inform the Cardinals about his decision in time for team activities. Possible retirement has really turned into a yearly decision for Fitzgerald and has nothing to do with his contract or money. Guy has earned 150 millions from the Cardinals, and many more of course through commercials.

 

Same goes for Palmer btw. He is under contract through 2018, but will announce his decision at some point in the offeseason.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, 3FLi said:

What is everyone take on Fitz this week against Washington?  Norman should be covering him in the slot, right? Not sure how Washingtons other corners are

 

Tyrell Williams and Keenan Allen torched them recently.  AZ's WR corps and QB don't compare to the Chargers' though.

 

My theory on Fitz is that he's money whenever garbage time breaks out no matter who the opponent is.  He's a

master at taking what a prevent defense is designed to give.  If AZ can't control TOP (likely), then I'm thinking that the game gets out of hand for them eventually.

 

I'm not suggesting that Fitz can't be a factor in a hotly contested affair.  His production in that situation is just more hit and miss. 

 

I was a strong advocate of sitting him against JAX.  I don't have nearly the same reluctance against the Skins, even given that the game is on the road.

 

Edited by Rolling Thunder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...