NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

The only skills position utilized properly is Greg Olsen, other than that, everyone isn't utilized to their full potential.

Cam is over utilized. I don't know why they think Mike Shula is so special in Carolina. 

Source: Panthers.com - Bill Voth

Carolina Panthers WR Devin Funchess didn't receive enough targets last year, according to head coach Ron Rivera, and general manager Dave Gettleman agreed that Funchess wasn't used properly.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still have faith.  He's only 23 (came into the league at a very young age).  I can see a scenario where he takes over as the #1 on this team ahead of Benjamin this season.  Not sure it will happen, but it's possible.  He just needs to be more consistent in my eyes.

On 6/26/2017 at 7:04 AM, TX Babe Ruth said:

The only skills position utilized properly is Greg Olsen, other than that, everyone isn't utilized to their full potential.

Cam is over utilized. I don't know why they think Mike Shula is so special in Carolina. 

I so agree with this. I think Shula needs to be fired sooner rather than later. I watched Funchess last year and he came through when given the opportunities. Sadly with Shula as coordinator I think it will take a Benjamin injury in order for Funchess to see value. If that injury does happen Funchess is going to surprise a lot of people. 

His ADP last season when he was behind Ted Ginn in 2-WR sets= 111.9

His ADP this season when he is in all 2-WR sets= 196.4

This is the season he breaks out if he is ever going to break out. 

VtyxTzw.gif

zO9HakH.gif

Edited by burninglegs

Devin Funchess and the Return of Third-Year Wide Receiver Breakout

by Mike Medeiros, August 8, 2017

The third-year wide receiver breakout. One of the more popular narratives of fantasy football analysts and players alike for years, until we were spoiled by the wide receiver class of 2014, which changed the way fantasy football and especially dynasty league enthusiasts view the position for better, or worse. I believe in some cases the third-year breakout can still occur, as we must look at each player independently.

Prime Breakout Candidate

We now turn our attention to Devin Funchess who now has a full-time role in the Panthers offense, with an abundance of vacated targets up for grabs, and doesn’t cost half as much to acquire as some other trendier breakout candidates. Even with all the positive buzz from training campDevin FunchessP is barely on the redraft radar, and currently holds a dynasty ADP of WR80.

At 6-4 and 232-pounds, Devin FunchessP’ athletic profile is highlighted by a 107.9 (87th-percentile) Height Adjusted Speed Score (HaSS) and a 126.5 (78th-percentile) Burst Score. Coming out of Michigan as a positional convert, Funchess played tight end his freshman and sophomore years before transitioning to wide receiver in his junior year. Funchess’ 11.8 (14th-percentile) College Yards Per Reception wasn’t wowing anyone, although he was still highly productive, posting a 41.4-percent (82nd-percentile) College Dominator Rating.

Devin-Funchess-Advanced-Stats-Metrics-Pr

We must keep in mind that along with switching positions, Devin Funchess is extremely young for a third-year player, having just turned 23. Along with being younger than all but one (Amari Cooper) of his peers from the 2015 draft class, Funchess is younger than many notable sophomore and rookie wide receivers.

Devin-Funchess-Age-Comparison.png

Room for Growth

Along with Devin Funchess falling behind Corey Brown on the depth chart, looking at his advanced statistics, admittedly, there are some negatives to point out. The most concerning of these being his drop rate of 10.3-percent (No.4), correlating with a catch rate of 39.7-percent (No.108) in 2016.

Devin-Funchess-2016-Efficiency.png

Devin Funchess 2016 Efficiency

There are also some positives to point out, as Devin Funchess saw a 23.7-percent (No.19) Red Zone Target Share. In 14 games played, and seeing significantly less (52.7-percent Snap Share) opportunities, he was only 2 red zone targets behind Greg OlsenP and 1 behind Kelvin BenjaminP. Funchess also led the Panthers in yards per reception and he was even with Ted Ginn in Target Distance. Although Funchess didn’t have the number of chances deep that Ginn had (20 to 14), he was arguably just as effective, as Cam Newton had his highest passer rating on deep passes when targeting Funchess.

Cam-Newton-Deep-Passing-Success.png

Panthers Deep Passing Success Rates (Per SharpFootballStats.com)

Offensive Outlook

With changes abound to the Panthers’ passing offense, and locked into a starting role opposite of Kelvin Benjamin this season, the opportunity is now for Devin FunchessPTed GinnP and Corey BrownP left behind 148 of the 160 vacated targets for the Panthers. Funchess’ target share is on the rise even with the Panthers’ plans for rookie RB Christian McCaffreyP to be a featured part of the offense, and WR Curtis SamuelP also being given opportunities to showcase his 4.31 speed.

Funchess is presently the third option in the passing game, a role in which Ted GinnP received 95 targets (17.2-percent Target Share) last season. An injury to Kelvin BenjaminP, who has had his share of injury and conditioning issues could thrust Funchess into a lead role.

Devin FunchessP’ efficiency will need to improve for him to truly ascend and seize the opportunity in front of him. Three years younger and the superior athlete to Kelvin BenjaminP, Funchess could outright pass him as the WR1 for Carolina. He is the quintessential buy low target in dynasty leagues as impatient fantasy owners may have grown frustrated with him. In startup drafts or deeper redraft leagues, he makes for a late round, high upside option with his combination of athleticism, youth and opportunity.

Conclusion

As a young player still honing his craft at the position, now is not the time to write off Devin FunchessP. With growing opportunity in the offense, this is the time to acquire Funchess and stash him on the back end of rosters in dynasty leagues.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/devin-funchess-advanced-stats-metrics-analytics-profile/

No interest. Funchess is, at best, the 3rd option in a low-efficiency passing attack. I guess there's some upside here, but it seems like you are gambling on a guy who needs things to break right just to become a WR3. I see him as nothing but a late round dart throw.

Edited by beware d-ware
On 8/18/2017 at 10:16 PM, beware d-ware said:

No interest. Funchess is, at best, the 3rd option in a low-efficiency passing attack. I guess there's some upside here, but it seems like you are gambling on a guy who needs things to break right just to become a WR3. I see him as nothing but a late round dart throw.

LATE round for a guy who could put up WR2 #'s in a passing attack that should be better this year. Yeah, count me in. The addition of McCaffrey will only help guys like Bejamin, Olsen, and Funchess.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Funchess ends up as the #4 WR on this team behind Benjamin, Samuel and Shepard. He lost a fumble last night in the game's first possession and caught only one pass in the other preseason game despite Samuel not playing. Granted the whole team regressed last year, but Funchess showed no signs of growth from Year One to Year Two. They drafted Funchess as a project because he was essentially a TE at Michigan. It appears the experiment has failed. He just doesn't make a difference at all on the field. DND.

12 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Funchess ends up as the #4 WR on this team behind Benjamin, Samuel and Shepard. He lost a fumble last night in the game's first possession and caught only one pass in the other preseason game despite Samuel not playing. Granted the whole team regressed last year, but Funchess showed no signs of growth from Year One to Year Two. They drafted Funchess as a project because he was essentially a TE at Michigan. It appears the experiment has failed. He just doesn't make a difference at all on the field. DND.

I would expect they'd push him hard next preseason game, because there's not a lot of depth here. The fumble rotted, but he can still make up for it before Game 1 Week 1... assuming Funchess is talented enough to pass the test. Seems like KBenj, Olsen, and CMcC will be the top options receiving, even if Funchess is WR #2 

• 5 weeks later...

I like Funchess as a player, but his situation is not ideal in what is currently a low volume offense. His status just got elevated so his floor is better, but he's going to need TDs to be a real difference maker. Hopefully Shula can figure it out..... 

giphy.gif

Devin Funchess (vs. New Orleans): Greg Olsen broke his foot in Week 2, and Devin Funchess ended up seeing seven targets after tallying just two in Week 1. He's been on the field for more snaps than any other Panthers wideout to start the year, and according to AirYards.com, he has a solid 22% of the team's air yards market share.

That'll come in handy against the Saints this week. On the year, New Orleans has allowed 25 yards per play on deep ball passes, by far the worst rate in the league. And they've faced 15 of those plays in just two weeks, which ranks sixth in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Marshon Lattimore is currently in the concussion protocol, and he's easily the best Saints cornerback. According to Jeff Ratcliffe of Pro Football Focus, Lattimore shadowed Brandin Cooks in Week 2 on 31 of his 39 routes run, and Cooks came away with 1 catch on 3 targets on those plays.

Lattimore would draw more Kelvin Benjamin, you would think, but if Lattimore is out, then it's an even better matchup for Devin Funchess. Even if he plays, Funchess would benefit from drawing a lot of De'Vante Harrisin coverage.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/16412/fantasy-football-start-or-sit-week-3

53 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Devin Funchess (vs. New Orleans): Greg Olsen broke his foot in Week 2, and Devin Funchess ended up seeing seven targets after tallying just two in Week 1. He's been on the field for more snaps than any other Panthers wideout to start the year, and according to AirYards.com, he has a solid 22% of the team's air yards market share.

That'll come in handy against the Saints this week. On the year, New Orleans has allowed 25 yards per play on deep ball passes, by far the worst rate in the league. And they've faced 15 of those plays in just two weeks, which ranks sixth in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Marshon Lattimore is currently in the concussion protocol, and he's easily the best Saints cornerback. According to Jeff Ratcliffe of Pro Football Focus, Lattimore shadowed Brandin Cooks in Week 2 on 31 of his 39 routes run, and Cooks came away with 1 catch on 3 targets on those plays.

Lattimore would draw more Kelvin Benjamin, you would think, but if Lattimore is out, then it's an even better matchup for Devin Funchess. Even if he plays, Funchess would benefit from drawing a lot of De'Vante Harrisin coverage.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/16412/fantasy-football-start-or-sit-week-3

I think this is the week if it is ever going to happen. No Olsen. Against a bad secondary. Facing a high powered offense that can run up the score. If he does not break out this week then he as well as Cam might never get it going ROS.

9 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

If it will ever happen for him in the NFL this is the week it starts. If he can't produce this week, there might be no hope. 

My guess. 75-85 yards and a TD. 

I agree for DFS. But what's he worth after the NO game in redraft?

3 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

I agree for DFS. But what's he worth after the NO game in redraft?

No idea because i think the Panthers are still trying  to figure out how to be more effective in the short game with cmac and samuel  and I am of the opinion that Cam still prefers to throw to big body pass catchers. 

7 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

WR3 with WR2 upside

Pure speculation. It's already is third year. I think it depends on Cam. If Cam doesn't go off against NO then Benjamin, Funchess and the rest of the pure pass catchers are going to struggle to even get into lineups this year.

Also, he's 3rd in line for targets from a QB with a hurt shoulder.

Edited by martinjlm

I don't think I can tolerate another week of Case Keenum throwing ducks to Diggs, so I'm considering a risky Funchess start over him. The Olsen injury plus this terrible NO defense just seems like too good of an opportunity. 

Anyone else flexing Funchess over bigger names?