NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

As someone who went RB heavy in a Standard scoring league and then lost 2(ARob and C. Coleman) of his 3 starting WRs by week 2.  Therefore  being forced to start K. Benjamin AND Funchess since week 2, this is the best news all day after losing Zeke to suspension.  Now I just pray that Cam can start throwing the ball more accurately.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On October 29, 2017 at 4:00 AM, Boudewijn said:

Yeah so funny because this year in 7 games he threw only 10.

He has 3 weeks with more TDs than Int, 3 weeks the reverse (including 0-3 in week 3) and one week neither. All of that doesn't seem to affect Funchess much, as I wrote above, but why would we not be allowed to write about that?

Edit: And of course, if you have first knowledge of why any of the above is wrong, please feel free to tell us. And that's not sarcastic.

lol

1 hour ago, chief79 said:

Therefore  being forced to start K. Benjamin AND Funchess since week 2, this is the best news all day after losing Zeke to suspension.  

I still fail to see this is good news (and I have both and a simiular WR situation). 

- Funchess was droppable to me. He got the targets, but didn't convert. With Benjamin gone he may get more targets, but will find it even harder to convert as the defenses now know he's the main focus and will get the strongest matchups. Not good.

- Benjamin goes from "meh" to benchable the next couple weeks, hoping he will revive the Bills. Given that he was more or less my WR2 after Fuller (yes, I know, I know. I KNOW!), that is quite a blow for the next couple weeks.

Regarding Funchess (because it's his thread after all), even if I give him a 10% upgrade, he's still a solid drop. I've got at least 4 players on the waiver that I want over him right now. I consider this fairly bad news - my saving grace is I have a soft match-up this week in the league where I own both so I can ride it out a bit.

I mean, they're not wrong about Funchess. We can post SPARX scores all day long but what really matters is what guys do on the field. 

College stats their final season

Funchess : 11 games

Michigan Big Ten JR WR 11 62 733 11.8

Evans : 13 games

Texas A&M SEC SO WR 13 69 1394 20.2 12

Funchess was a TE until his last year at Michigan. And his stats his final year still read like a TE, while Evans was going off. I don't think there's much comparison there in college or the pros, besides they are built the same

Lets give him a week and see how he does against Atlanta on Sunday. Maybe this is a revelation for the panthers of letting benji go. Cam won MVP in 2015 without benji so this could be good....or really really bad lol

Edited by kdpat15

3 hours ago, burninglegs said:

Your schtick gets old dude, don't you get tired of spending worthless hours on here posting worthless posts? 

So because fantasy owners didn't draft him, that makes him worthless? What about

Fuller?

Watson?

JuJu?

Paul Richardson?

McKinnon?

Kamara?

Alex Smith?

Brate?

Engram?

ASJ? 

So I guess those guys 'suck' based on your definition since they weren't drafted in most leagues? Ok got it. 

A lot of those guys are rookies and Alex Smith is having a career year. My point was that nobody drafted Funchess for potential upside as the next Mike Evans or Brandon Marshall. Savvy owners know better than that. He played bad at Michigan and was almost always hurt...just like he is doing in the pros right now.

He is who we thought he was

I lost Zeke to suspension and Melvin Gordon is on Bye. I need some hope for week 9 and Funchess being the main WR target for Cam is reason to hope. Funchess and Cam have been awful lately, is this the week the Panthers offense pulls it together? Yes, please!

Edited by sdlengua

Honestly, I was going to cut Fun to pick up either Robby Anderson or Tyler Lockett, but the trade made me put that thinking on hold.

I am having a hard time seeing how this will benefit Fun. The last several weeks he and Cam are not connecting despite lots of targets. Why would that change just because KB is gone?  Why would this trade make Cam and Fun connect?  

I know he may get a few more targets, but if you are not connecting on 8, why would two more targets help out? 

15 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Honestly, I was going to cut Fun to pick up either Robby Anderson or Tyler Lockett, but the trade made me put that thinking on hold.

I am having a hard time seeing how this will benefit Fun. The last several weeks he and Cam are not connecting despite lots of targets. Why would that change just because KB is gone?  Why would this trade make Cam and Fun connect?  

I know he may get a few more targets, but if you are not connecting on 8, why would two more targets help out? 

Only thing we can hope for is teams load the box to stop the run. That may give 1v1 coverage on funchess and his targets go from 8 or so to around 11. If not i dont see funchess beating the corner and safety help. Who knows but losing an offensive weapon is usually a downgrade other than targets. Num 1 corners will be on him more often.

EDIT: and to your point, obviously, more targets, better chance you catch it. 55% is better on 12 targets than 8. Or whatever his catch rate may be.

Edited by Zekepeak86

Atl as of late hasn't been so hot on WRs, besides mccaffrey, who else is getting the ball? Answer is funchess. I would guess this week at least he should see 8-12 targets as there really is no other plan in place or wideouts to help. Trusting him is one thing...trusting him and realizing garbage cam is throwing him the ball....thats just a headache. That being said, I dont like collins against the Tenn run D, so funchess is looking to be my flex this week.

1 hour ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Only thing we can hope for is teams load the box to stop the run. That may give 1v1 coverage on funchess and his targets go from 8 or so to around 11. If not i dont see funchess beating the corner and safety help. Who knows but losing an offensive weapon is usually a downgrade other than targets. Num 1 corners will be on him more often.

EDIT: and to your point, obviously, more targets, better chance you catch it. 55% is better on 12 targets than 8. Or whatever his catch rate may be.

Well, I guess I will hold him and play him this week since three of my WRs are on bye,  but I am not expecting much. I think opposing defenses will be watching more closely to cover McCaffrey com8ng out of the backfield so maybe this will help Fun to get open. I don’t know. They don’t seem to have many more scary options. Ginn isn’t there and Olsen is hurt.

With Fuller looking shaky at best, really counting on this recent acquisition to make a splash. Haven’t got to see a whole lot of tape but targets should be there at least. Too lazy to dive deep in to stats but how did this receiving Corp playout the last time KB wasn’t on the field for an extended time? 

7 hours ago, itschief33 said:

With Fuller looking shaky at best, really counting on this recent acquisition to make a splash. Haven’t got to see a whole lot of tape but targets should be there at least. Too lazy to dive deep in to stats but how did this receiving Corp playout the last time KB wasn’t on the field for an extended time? 

Doesnt matter how they played before, Different offenssive scheme with new players added.  They never had players like cmc and samuel on the roster before, strictly power run game with vertical strikes.  Now no power run game and short passes to cmc and samuel

51 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Don’t see what’s not to like about this guy. I think he went from upside wr3 to upside wr2. Should see a healthy increase in targets and uses his big body well in the redzone and should flirt with 10 TDs

I didn't like that he managed to grab so few catches with so little yardage when Cam was struggling behind a crumbling O-line.

For Funchess to produce I think they need:

- a better situation for Cam

- Cam to stabilise (when in trouble he tends to self-destruct)

- Funchess to better help his QB and manage to catch more targets.

I didn't see any of that happening. Worse, I think all of the above gets worse with Benjamin leaving, so I bailed.

Others say he will get more and better targets. This is not impossible. However, part of the reason for my bailing is that I had no option to sub him this week, so I dumped him for what I thought was a more boring but safer option.

Edited by Boudewijn

I have zero trust in No-Fun at all, so I am watching very closely this week and then deciding what to do. In other words, he is on a short leash. Just because he is number one doesn’t mean much to me. If you only catch 3 passes of 8 for 25 yds, why do I feel that much better if he gets 10passes?  So he catches maybe 4 passes of 10 for 33 yds. Big deal.