NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

56 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So Funchess kills it against a terrible Miami def and he was the ONLY pass catcher that looked good catching and running after the catch he was something like 5 for 6 whereas the other wr's were terrible with drops. 

Panthers gamescript was obviously short dinky chain moving passes to everyone else Dickson, samuel  bersin,shepard,cmc.

I'm really not encouraged by the target distribution and the fact that they were using Funchess to set up blocks downfield.  If Olsen comes back I can see Cam focusing in on him alot. 

Cam really should take a few more vertical passes to Funchess when the running game is working, seeing he is currently the only big body WR on the team and he does get enough separation; granted he is not gettting the same separation Samuel is getting but for downfield plays certainly enough to make those attempts.  Two targets for an entire half is a sin and 6 for a complete blowout is almost depressing when  he was the best pass catcher and made big plays. Still a hold for me or sell high to upgrade other slots on my roster for the playoffs; love the td's but not the volume and usage.  

I agree. Funchess should have had a bigger share of the targets, but I am happy that he was efficient with what he did get. My only thought is that they saw some things on tape during the week that they felt that they could exploit over the middle. I would not be too concerned because those targets to Shephard and Samuel seem to be around the same spots/routes that Olsen would run. Olsen will definitely soak up his share of targets but will also draw coverage away from Funchess and should open up things for the passing game. With the running game looking better and Olsen drawing attention, Funchess should remain very productive. Remember, he still averaged about 8-9 targets a game with Benjamin on the team.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

. My only thought is that they saw some things on tape during the week that they felt that they could exploit over the middle.

My other issue is they are focused too much on getting the midget rb touches as if he is some big playmaker. We have seen enough of cmc to understand his pass catching talent but  the pretense that he can run between the tackles needs to stop, he may be somewhat elusive in the open field but he has no power and no explosiveness and yes i am bothered that the midget rb gets the TD pass after Funchess drew the pass interference call. ;)

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

So Funchess kills it against a terrible Miami def and he was the ONLY pass catcher that looked good catching and running after the catch he was something like 5 for 6 whereas the other wr's were terrible with drops. 

Panthers gamescript was obviously short dinky chain moving passes to everyone else Dickson, samuel  bersin,shepard,cmc.

I'm really not encouraged by the target distribution and the fact that they were using Funchess to set up blocks downfield.  If Olsen comes back I can see Cam focusing in on him alot. 

Cam really should take a few more vertical passes to Funchess when the running game is working, seeing he is currently the only big body WR on the team and he does get enough separation; granted he is not gettting the same separation Samuel is getting but for downfield plays certainly enough to make those attempts.  Two targets for an entire half is a sin and 6 for a complete blowout is almost depressing when  he was the best pass catcher and made big plays. Still a hold for me or sell high to upgrade other slots on my roster for the playoffs; love the td's but not the volume and usage.  

Omg dad's back from buying cigarettes

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

My other issue is they are focused too much on getting the midget rb touches as if he is some big playmaker. We have seen enough of cmc to understand his pass catching talent but  the pretense that he can run between the tackles needs to stop, he may be somewhat elusive in the open field but he has no power and no explosiveness and yes i am bothered that the midget rb gets the TD pass after Funchess drew the pass interference call. ;)

Only reason I see McCaffrey continuing to get those runs between the tackles is so the defense doesn't know exactly what's coming when he's on the field. Agreed he's not doing much there, but don't want to make him just a one trick pony. Either way though they're committed to keeping him very involved in both the running and passing game. But it's hard to complain if you own Funchess and got 90 yards and 2 TDs

57 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Agreed, I'm dropping him for a guy that gets 100% of the targets for his team....

25 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Me too. .  :mellow:

Your complaints in the game thread before Funchess caught his first TD were borderline cringe my dude.  

You probably picked him up for free but your expectations for him are as if you drafted him in the first round. 

Im relying on him as a WR2 / Flex ROS, and would love to see him go off every game but Funchess has provided more than enough value for his owners this season for the price they got him for imo.

He's gone for 10/178/2 on 13 targets since the Benjamin trade. His outlook for ROS is looking up. 

Edited by yahyahtrick
12 minutes ago, yahyahtrick said:

Your complaints in the game thread before Funchess caught his first TD were borderline cringe my dude.  

You probably picked him up for free but your expectations for him are as if you drafted him in the first round. 

Im relying on him as a WR2 / Flex ROS, and would love to see him go off every game but Funchess has provided more than enough value for his owners this season for the price they got him for imo.

He's gone for 10/178/2 on 13 targets since the Benjamin trade. His outlook for ROS is looking up. 

Are you upset? :rolleyes:

I did pick him up off the waiver and so what waiver, trade or draft pick doesn't matter if i put them on my roster, equal opportunity expectations for everyone. Thats the reason why i can add/drop and trade with ease. I don't fall in love with players I assign value to them for trade purposes. 

I also don't get upset if others don't agree with my process. . .:lol:

I haven't been able to watch a lot of CAR games or highlights but did get to see this game.  What struck me is Funchess is a lot faster than I remember. I know his combine 40 time was like 4.70 which is pretty slow but his pro day was 4.4 something which seems more like what I saw yesterday.  His straight line speed is pretty good and hopefully they can stretch the field with it a bit. 

Also the "back" shoulder type throw that he got his second TD on was a really nice play.  He slowed up and adjusted to the ball and made a great catch coming back towards it.  I'm hoping with this showcase they start using him in the red zone more.  That is my only beef is he hasn't been a target monster like Benjamin in the endzone.  And with Olsen coming back and their love to get McCaffery TDs that does limit Funchess upside.  Maybe teams will focus more on stopping McCaffery and they can go to Funchess more often.

Other than that Funchess has been playing great and has been a solid start at flex.

22 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I haven't been able to watch a lot of CAR games or highlights but did get to see this game.  What struck me is Funchess is a lot faster than I remember. I know his combine 40 time was like 4.70 which is pretty slow but his pro day was 4.4 something which seems more like what I saw yesterday.  His straight line speed is pretty good and hopefully they can stretch the field with it a bit. 

Also the "back" shoulder type throw that he got his second TD on was a really nice play.  He slowed up and adjusted to the ball and made a great catch coming back towards it.  I'm hoping with this showcase they start using him in the red zone more.  That is my only beef is he hasn't been a target monster like Benjamin in the endzone.  And with Olsen coming back and their love to get McCaffery TDs that does limit Funchess upside.  Maybe teams will focus more on stopping McCaffery and they can go to Funchess more often.

Other than that Funchess has been playing great and has been a solid start at flex.

Yeah, we lose Benjamin but gain Olsen. And of course this McCaffrey kid is pretty good catching too. Darn.....

23 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Yeah, we lose Benjamin but gain Olsen. And of course this McCaffrey kid is pretty good catching too. Darn.....

To be fair to McCaffery all he does is score TDs.  And if it is working why wouldn't the coaches keep doing it.  He can run it in or they can throw it to him out of the backfield.  They can even line him up as a WR/Slot and he can get his TD that way.  Creates a lot of mismatches which I hope will leave Funchess 1 on 1 and they can start looking to him if teams focus on McCaffery.  Until then though I don't expect many RZ targets for Funchess. 

2 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

To be fair to McCaffery all he does is score TDs.  And if it is working why wouldn't the coaches keep doing it.  He can run it in or they can throw it to him out of the backfield.  They can even line him up as a WR/Slot and he can get his TD that way.  Creates a lot of mismatches which I hope will leave Funchess 1 on 1 and they can start looking to him if teams focus on McCaffery.  Until then though I don't expect many RZ targets for Funchess. 

Why not?  He is the biggest, strongest receiver they have.  Did you see the game last night?  McCaffery's 2nd TD was set up by a PI on a red-zone Funchess target (might have been just outside the RZ but a end-zone look nonetheless).   CMC isn't going to get 100% of the RZ targets.  If the defender doesn't commit the penalty, Funchess could have very easily had 3 TD last night and CMC only 1, which would change this whole narrative. 

5 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Samuel injury looks like a plus for funchess until Olsen comes back. I'm trying to sell high trade him in a package to upgrade at wr like baldwin/thomas or rb like shady/freeman.  When a guy gets u 26pts on a Monday night and it's the last bye week coming up before the trade deadline, it's a good time to move him to strengthen ur playoff roster

Well looks like Samuel will be out for a while, but the panthers will find some other scrub to take targets away from Funchess/

The Charlotte Observer reports the Panthers are concerned Curtis Samuel suffered a serious ankle injury Monday night.

Samuel was on crutches with his left leg "heavily bandaged" following the game. The Observer reports the initial diagnosis is a high-ankle sprain, but the team is concerned the injury could be worse. Even a serious sprain would knock the rookie out for several weeks. It is a tough break for a player who looked like he was on his way to breaking out

Breaking out of what? Dude can't catch a snowball in a blizzard. Get out.
1 minute ago, pdog109 said:

Well looks like Samuel will be out for a while, but the panthers will find some other scrub to take targets away from Funchess/

Breaking out of what? Dude can't catch a snowball in a blizzard. Get out.

Samuel was getting amazing separation of 3-4yds but couldn't reel them in, just a touch better than shepard who was making blatant drops like the ball hurt his hands

Why is everyone complaining about targets? Is 8-10 not enough? He has rec less than 8 3 times this yr, 6 being two of the games.....Not many guys get 12-15 targets weekly.....Olsen will help spread the defense. Weapons are always a plus. They run funchess everywhere, he is fine esp with how up and down almost all wrs have been this yr

11 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Why not?  He is the biggest, strongest receiver they have.  Did you see the game last night?  McCaffery's 2nd TD was set up by a PI on a red-zone Funchess target (might have been just outside the RZ but a end-zone look nonetheless).   CMC isn't going to get 100% of the RZ targets.  If the defender doesn't commit the penalty, Funchess could have very easily had 3 TD last night and CMC only 1, which would change this whole narrative. 

I never said CMC is going to get 100% of the RZ targets.  But I can be realistic about what I see and what CAR is trying to do. The past few weeks they have been working CMC more and more into the offense to get him more touches since KB has left.  They have also been giving him more RZ looks.

Hey I don't own CMC but I wish I did.  I do own Funchess.  Funchess could definitely be more involved in the O and RZ targets but it isn't happening yet.  I'm glad Funchess put up a 20 burger this week - it helped me win my week.  I hope it gets him some more targets which lead to TDs.  But I'm also 100% realistic from what I saw when watching the game.  Then add in Olsen to the mix and Funchess may continue to only see 6 or 7 targets a game.  Could he see more? For sure. Will he? I can't bet on that.

Like I said before I was very happy with what I saw from Funchess, but CAR has a lot of weapons and mix things up a lot which keeps the defense on their heels.  It works so I expect CAR to stick with last nights game plan.

2 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Why is everyone complaining about targets? Is 8-10 not enough? He has rec less than 8 3 times this yr, 6 being two of the games.....Not many guys get 12-15 targets weekly.....Olsen will help spread the defense. Weapons are always a plus. They run funchess everywhere, he is fine esp with how up and down almost all wrs have been this yr

Because jabronis like shepard/samuel get more targets than him.

3 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Actually 5 times less than 8 targets per game. The past three games have all been under 8 targets.

I'd like to see 8-10 per game.  6 is too low, especially if you aren't scoring TDs.  Thankfully Fun had 2 TDs yesterday.

Edited by Big Nate
4 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Naah it's that he had 6 targets and 5 receptions and he tripped on the target he missed and 2 of those were for big plays ending in TD's against a terrible defense. He was the only efficient wr making plays but the others were getting more targets and dropping the ball. They were using him to block for alot of the midgets when they should have been feeding him. Dude had 2 targets the entire first half which was complete nonsense. that's what the complaining is about

7 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

Because jabronis like shepard/samuel get more targets than him.

That isnt a normal thing

7 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Actually 5 times less than 8 targets per game. The past three games have all been under 8 targets.

I'd like to see 8-10 per game.  6 is too low, especially if you aren't scoring TDs.  Thankfully Fun had 2 TDs yesterday.

He is working his way into the number 1, yes he should be targeted more as he has done very well when he does, but he had his best game this year last night...enjoy it and they will improve. Cam knows he can catch and shepard and samuel let cam out to dry a couple times yesterday.

My guess is next week he gets a solid 8 or 9 targets.

They also mentioned carolina was excited to see what samuel does, he didnt do much, and they will evaluate and see where they need to go. They crushed Miami, so everything looks good to them until they see the tape. Funchess will be ok

Edited by Zekepeak86
12 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I never said CMC is going to get 100% of the RZ targets.  But I can be realistic about what I see and what CAR is trying to do. The past few weeks they have been working CMC more and more into the offense to get him more touches since KB has left.  They have also been giving him more RZ looks.

Hey I don't own CMC but I wish I did.  I do own Funchess.  Funchess could definitely be more involved in the O and RZ targets but it isn't happening yet.  I'm glad Funchess put up a 20 burger this week - it helped me win my week.  I hope it gets him some more targets which lead to TDs.  But I'm also 100% realistic from what I saw when watching the game.  Then add in Olsen to the mix and Funchess may continue to only see 6 or 7 targets a game.  Could he see more? For sure. Will he? I can't bet on that.

Like I said before I was very happy with what I saw from Funchess, but CAR has a lot of weapons and mix things up a lot which keeps the defense on their heels.  It works so I expect CAR to stick with last nights game plan.

It's wierd because if they didn't have other weapons they wouldn't get as many scoring chances. If CMC is going to steal TDS, it's likely from Stewart and rushing TDS from cam. 

Funchess owners should love what they're seeing. No Benjamin, Samuel now hurt. It's a great time to be a funchess owner. We'll see what happens when Olsen comes back but I doubt it will impact much, it may bring the defense in which will free up the outside for funchess.

7 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

That isnt a normal thing

He is working his way into the number 1, yes he should be targeted more as he has done very well when he does, but he had his best game this year last night...enjoy it and they will improve. Cam knows he can catch and shepard and samuel let cam out to dry a couple times yesterday.

My guess is next week he gets a solid 8 or 9 targets.

They also mentioned carolina was excited to see what samuel does, he didnt do much, and they will evaluate and see where they need to go. They crushed Miami, so everything looks good to them until they see the tape. Funchess will be ok

My guess he gets zero targets since he is on a bye lol.

But yeah Funchess will be solid ROS its just frustrating for these lesser WRs to out-target him and drop those targets. Guess its actually good since maybe Cam will stop throwing to them.

20 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Samuel was getting amazing separation of 3-4yds but couldn't reel them in, just a touch better than shepard who was making blatant drops like the ball hurt his hands

Reminds me of PRESTON PARKER