NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

22 minutes ago, mjb said:

Good luck man, Julio 2-24 vs Minnesota.

Yeah, Rhodes is no joke. Makes you appreciate how good Marvin Jones was to torch him on Thanksgiving. 

Zimmer owned Cam last year and I see no reason for that to change on Sunday. Bad news for Funchess (who unfortunately in another league I will have to start). 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

It's the quality of the targets that matter. Will Cam deliver him the ball where his 6'5 frame can be used to catch the ball. I don't think the panthers are going to be able to dink and dunk all night to cmac and beat the vikings

Olsen / Dickson line ... north or south of 5 / 80 / 1  <_<

8 hours ago, dashoe said:

It's the quality of the targets that matter. Will Cam deliver him the ball where his 6'5 frame can be used to catch the ball. I don't think the panthers are going to be able to dink and dunk all night to cmac and beat the vikings

It wasn’t until the game was decided when Cam decided to look at Fun last weeks against Saints.  Cam scares me.  I’m sure he will dink it to his RB 20 times and his TE, but I’d be surprised if he challenges Rhodes.  Look at Matty No Ice last week. 

I've been riding the Funchess wave this season and been happy. But this week I'm probably going to look elsewhere. Probably strongly consider the Kupp/Goodwin types as a possible replacement for Funchess this week. The Vikings can be beat on defense, but it takes a gunslinger like a Cousins or Stafford to put up points and yards. Cam just isn't a Cousins or Stafford type QB. 

46 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

I've been riding the Funchess wave this season and been happy. But this week I'm probably going to look elsewhere. Probably strongly consider the Kupp/Goodwin types as a possible replacement for Funchess this week. The Vikings can be beat on defense, but it takes a gunslinger like a Cousins or Stafford to put up points and yards. Cam just isn't a Cousins or Stafford type QB. 

Yea, I know he is probably going to have 8 targets but i feel this could be a 8 targets for 4/50/0 game. Vikings D is good, but their offense keeps the ball on offense which will limit time. I guess Im debating if vikings are going to go up early by a couple if that will force panthers to throw even more. My only other option is Josh Gordon with a great matchup but im still hesitant. 

Funchess is a stud for me so i'm not benching him.

If i was able to pick up Goodwin however... dropped him a few weeks ago and forgot , just got scooped up yesterday by my sucker opponent.

Who else is Cam gonna throw to? He's the guy.

8 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

Funchess is a stud for me so i'm not benching him.

If i was able to pick up Goodwin however... dropped him a few weeks ago and forgot , just got scooped up yesterday by my sucker opponent.

Who else is Cam gonna throw to? He's the guy.

Who did Matty Ice throw too?  

Olsen if he is back, Shepard, and our course his favorite....Mccaffrey. 

I don't like this match-up at all.  Rhodes is no joke.  Yes they don't have many options at WR so I expect Funchess to get some targets but realistically I don't like it.

On the fence with what to do with him. They do throw him some screen/hitch passes so maybe he can turn a few of those into big gains.

Edited by Big Nate
7 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Yea, I know he is probably going to have 8 targets but i feel this could be a 8 targets for 4/50/0 game. Vikings D is good, but their offense keeps the ball on offense which will limit time. I guess Im debating if vikings are going to go up early by a couple if that will force panthers to throw even more. My only other option is Josh Gordon with a great matchup but im still hesitant. 

I wish I had Josh....he would definitely be in my lineup. 

10 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I don't like this match-up at all.  Rhodes is no joke.  Yes they don't have many options at WR so I expect Funchess to get some targets but realistically I don't like it.

On the fence with what to do with him. They do throw him some screen/hitch passes so maybe he can turn a few of those into big gains.

Same here. Rhodes closed has been shut down all year. I have slotted gordon in over funchess but now im thinking putting funchess back in and taking out Howard. matchups for my team suck this week lol.

5 hours ago, Big Nate said:

They do throw him some screen/hitch passes so maybe he can turn a few of those into big gains.

He did that a few weeks ago i remember, took a screen pass and housed it for a TD.

6 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

Who did Matty Ice throw too?  

Olsen if he is back, Shepard, and our course his favorite....Mccaffrey. 

Panthers can't expect to win by dinking and dunking all night to CMC and Shepard can't even catch.

10 hours ago, pdog109 said:

He did that a few weeks ago i remember, took a screen pass and housed it for a TD.

That is the game where I started to really buy into Funchess.  He looked great on that TD - a lot faster than I thought he was and it showed they are willing to use him in different ways to get him the ball.

Hate to say it but he might be on my bench this week.  I still believe in him but the match-up is worrisome.

4 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

That is the game where I started to really buy into Funchess.  He looked great on that TD - a lot faster than I thought he was and it showed they are willing to use him in different ways to get him the ball.

Hate to say it but he might be on my bench this week.  I still believe in him but the match-up is worrisome.

I look at Funchess teh same way I look at Josh Gordon, can his QB  deliver the ball? Cam is so hit or miss in the passing game. When he feels good and is smiling and laughing on the field having a good time he throws thedeep to intermediate passes  like a pro bowl QB when he looks frustrated and upset and complaining, he throws like a QB seeing ghosts.  Funchess is 6'5 235lb  he is an easy target to hit and difficult to defend  if u put the ball where he can catch it.                           

17 hours ago, pdog109 said:

Who else is Cam gonna throw to? 

A solid question if you've watched the other options Cam has. Unfortunately, Cam continues throwing to everyone but Funchess week in and week out. He should be getting 10-12 targets per game with the other terrible WRs Carolina has, but the fact is that be isn't. 

9 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

A solid question if you've watched the other options Cam has. Unfortunately, Cam continues throwing to everyone but Funchess week in and week out. He should be getting 10-12 targets per game with the other terrible WRs Carolina has, but the fact is that be isn't. 

Devin Funchess 

CAR 2 7 10 9 8 9 8 6 7 6 bye 12 7         91 7.6

Not horrible though. He averages one less target than guys like AJG, julio mike evans. I agree though, should never see less than 8, but even with those 8 targets a game, cam usually throws 2-3 of them that arent even close to catchable.

7 hours ago, Big Nate said:

It is worrisome true but Funchess should be fully healthy(fully practiced on Wednesday)

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/67467/panthers-devin-funchess-shoulder-a-full-participant-in-wednesday-s-practice

If they get the ball to him on those quick screens/slants not much Rhodes can do, Funchess needs to show is a true WR1 and this game vs a top corner can help solidify him as that.

8 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

It is worrisome true but Funchess should be fully healthy(fully practiced on Wednesday)

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/67467/panthers-devin-funchess-shoulder-a-full-participant-in-wednesday-s-practice

If they get the ball to him on those quick screens/slants not much Rhodes can do, Funchess needs to show is a true WR1 and this game vs a top corner can help solidify him as that.

Slants and screens can be picked clean and housed the other way by a corner that knows what he's doing. Rhodes is all that and then some. 

Look, start away. I see him as a low-end WR2 this week. He'll still get his looks. But temper your expectations.

Edited by miasma16
15 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Slants and screens can be picked clean and housed the other way by a corner that knows what he's doing. Rhodes is all that and then some. 

Look, start away. I see him as a low-end WR2 this week. He'll still get his looks. But temper your expectations.

Not only that is accuracy plays a huge part in those and thats something we all know cam can easily under throw or over throw.  I dont know how accurate nflcombineresults.com is but shows funchess ran a 4.7 which we all know maybe has improved but then showed Rhodes ran a 4.43. With that speed, jumping the route aint tough with a mediocre passer.

I have funchess on the bench, but he will be slotted in for playoffs next week against gb and then against tb. I think unless your spot is locked and you can risk it, he has to be sat this week.

Silva's article says that Funchess missed practice on Friday, but the general Rotoworld news said he was a full participant in all practices. 

Anyone know the scoop?  Nervous enough about starting him against Rhodes.  If he's majorly banged up I will probably start someone else. 

2 minutes ago, Chargergirl said:

Silva's article says that Funchess missed practice on Friday, but the general Rotoworld news said he was a full participant in all practices. 

Anyone know the scoop?  Nervous enough about starting him against Rhodes.  If he's majorly banged up I will probably start someone else. 

You have to have someone else.   Anyone else.   This is a terrible match for him.