NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

Devin, I am sooooooo sorry for doubting you against the “great” Xavier.  I guess I didn’t think you could do better than china doll Julio. Forgive me for thinking that. You have been my only WR of consistency and value and I rewarded that with a benching. Shame on me. 

If i make it to the the semi finals next week I promise ....you are in my lineup even if Paul Peterson is covering you. 

Im ashamed at myself thinking Steven Stills can do better than you. Sigh

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/10/2017 at 10:24 PM, TennisMenace said:

Devin, I am sooooooo sorry for doubting you against the “great” Xavier.  I guess I didn’t think you could do better than china doll Julio. Forgive me for thinking that. You have been my only WR of consistency and value and I rewarded that with a benching. Shame on me. 

If i make it to the the semi finals next week I promise ....you are in my lineup even if Paul Peterson is covering you. 

Im ashamed at myself thinking Steven Stills can do better than you. Sigh

To the Pitt of misery, dilly dilly.

I'm from his home town of Pontiac, Mich and benched him too for R. Anderson whose the JETS coordinator John Morton is from my same high school Avondale.

All of my great home boys connections and poor choices earned me a 3.5 point loss & early exit. Did the same thing Turkey Day w/ Marvin vs Xavier the Great costing us a win and first rd bye. 

Never again will we go away from the Rhodes less traveled & tested when it means not daring to tread with our best tired, err...tried & true studs !

s---, I sat Funchess for Trent Taylor.  Trent freaking Taylor.  Somehow I won and advanced in the playoffs, but I'll be the first to say I don't deserve to. How I forget these things each year is a mystery.  When you have proven production, you roll with them when it counts, and live or die with them.  I'd rather lose playing a top 20 WR who gets shut down than lose playing some gimmicky scrub based on an on-paper matchup advantage while your season-long producer out performs him on your bench.  

The problem is that when that 1 out of 20 chance that the obscure lineup decision actually pans out, and you win a key matchup because of it, its such a crack rush for us fantasy football junkies that we are always chasing that first high.

On 11/28/2017 at 10:44 AM, burninglegs said:

Sounds like you sold low. You have been wrong about Funchess this whole time.

On 11/28/2017 at 10:24 AM, dashoe said:

I never dropped Funchess I traded him.  Also I never said i didn't like him I said i thought his situation was deteriorating particularly with Cam as his QB; there is a difference u know when analyzing the player and the players situation.  So you know -  late season TRADING is that thing you do when you are trying to improve your team for a title run after going 10-2 and locking up wk 14 bye.  Sold him on the high after Miami game for  kicker and Ravens def that plals CLE wk 15 and IND wk 16.  So left me with a wr rotation of Sterling-tate-diggs and Josh Gordon and corey davis as my playoff lottery tickets. Funchess won we a few games and I moved on.

Thanks for asking! :D

So looks like I wasnt so wrong about my Funchess for Ravens def trade targeting wk 14? Ravens def gave me 21pts!

I still agree i sold low but it was the best I could do at the deadline.

Anyway I still like Funchess and would start him against TB in the championship game if I had him.

CMC had the better mismatch against GB, Olsen took over the targets and Cam once again turned into superman.

Olsens and CMC shoud dominate again against TB but Funchess is going against a terrible secondary and should be back into the 7 targets range

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

So looks like I wasnt so wrong about my Funchess for Ravens def trade targeting wk 14? Ravens def gave me 21pts!

I still agree i sold low but it was the best I could do at the deadline.

Anyway I still like Funchess and would start him against TB in the championship game if I had him.

CMC had the better mismatch against GB, Olsen took over the targets and Cam once again turned into superman.

Olsens and CMC shoud dominate again against TB but Funchess is going against a terrible secondary and should be back into the 7 targets range

Yeah, I knew as soon as Olsen got his legs back, good bye Funchess. Oh well.....what had the makings of a very promising game against TBay is probably going to be very much like,today. So, I may have to bench Funchess if I can replace him with someone better off the waivers. In fact, I may even play Diggs again in his place. 

Anyone worried about the shoulder?  I thought it was a non-issue, but after he got nailed by the DB in the end zone (knocking the ball out and saving the TD), Funchess stayed down for several minutes with obvious shoulder pain.  He returned to the game after that, but I'm not sure he was targeted again.

If Funchess is still healthy with no significant setback with injury, I'm starting him despite Olsen's return.  I think the Green Bay defense may have been just as surprised by Olsen's explosion as Thebes fantasy world was, and the Tampa Bay defense, as inept as they may be, will surely account more for Olsen in their game plan.  This could open things up for Funchess (or it could open things up for McCaffery, which does is Funchess owners no good.)

5 hours ago, FeastMode said:

Anyone worried about the shoulder?  I thought it was a non-issue, but after he got nailed by the DB in the end zone (knocking the ball out and saving the TD), Funchess stayed down for several minutes with obvious shoulder pain.  He returned to the game after that, but I'm not sure he was targeted again.

If Funchess is still healthy with no significant setback with injury, I'm starting him despite Olsen's return.  I think the Green Bay defense may have been just as surprised by Olsen's explosion as Thebes fantasy world was, and the Tampa Bay defense, as inept as they may be, will surely account more for Olsen in their game plan.  This could open things up for Funchess (or it could open things up for McCaffery, which does is Funchess owners no good.)

It's very possible GB just decided with a weakened secondary, they'd take away Funchess and take their chances with a potentially rusty Olsen and the Panthers' secondary wide receivers. He could lay another egg this week, but it's just as likely this week helps his outlook and gives teams second thought to selling out to stop him. 

All this speculation was not even supposed to be discussed let alone written about. 

Funchess is the number one guy.

Funchess has been the one constant

Tampa Bay is the WORST passing defense in the NFL

Cam is a decent enough qb to get him the ball

for us to be having this dialog is just not right......we all should not be spending one ounce of energy on this decision.......

YET WE ARE AND WE HAVE TO!  SIGH

10 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Anybody else probably benching Funchess against sexy TBay?

The first time they played, Funchess caught 2passes for 11 yards.  Now he has a bum shoulder and competition with Olsen hogging the targets, and even this Byrd kid. 

I have to start him...He is still valuable and a WR2

Shoulder, ok semi worrisome, olsen hogging some targets, ok I get it...Previous TB game and Byrd shouldnt be apart of the list. 

The first Tampa game was week 8, KB was still around and Cam was not performing at all. I guess it just depends on other options, but for me, he is still ahead of Flash Gordon, Juju and Henry which are my options. 

I dont think Funchess sees anything less than 7 targets this game. Last game Olsen was just wide open in that green bay secondary. I may have to give a second thought though.

1 minute ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Thanks, yea when that fg was blocked i was sweating. I didnt check the score until the clock ran out but had a feeling i won.

Shoulder, ok semi worrisome, olsen hogging some targets, ok I get it...Previous TB game and Byrd shouldnt be apart of the list. 

The first Tampa game was week 8, KB was still around and Cam was not performing at all. I guess it just depends on other options, but for me, he is still ahead of Flash Gordon, Juju and Henry which are my options. 

I dont think Funchess sees anything less than 7 targets this game. Last game Olsen was just wide open in that green bay secondary. I may have to give a second thought though.

For what it is worth....I wish I had not cut Juju when suspended because I would definitely play him over Funchess. 

1 minute ago, TennisMenace said:

For what it is worth....I wish I had not cut Juju when suspended because I would definitely play him over Funchess. 

Yea maybe, i guess i have to do some thinking...I mentally blew a couple calls last week and was lucky to escape. I need to be on my game this week. Back to back years i have made the championship week, I need to finish.

I like funchess but yea i guess with all the check down work to mccaffrey and now Olsen in the mix, it may hurt his opportunities...

3 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Yea maybe, i guess i have to do some thinking...I mentally blew a couple calls last week and was lucky to escape. I need to be on my game this week. Back to back years i have made the championship week, I need to finish.

I like funchess but yea i guess with all the check down work to mccaffrey and now Olsen in the mix, it may hurt his opportunities...

Please don’t blame me if you go Juju and Funchess goes off, but my gut is telling me it will be No-Fun with Fun-chess this week. 

As as I recall, I tried to warn you away from Cooper in your championship game. Did you listen?

Edited by TennisMenace

The matchup looks great, but then again this past week's matchup with GB looked great too. I understand playing him if you don't have blatantly better options. But I'm finding hard to feel confident playing him championship week with one or two similar options on my bench.

I'd be worried starting him against TB. While his suspect shoulder and target share with Olsen and Byrd factor into the equation, my main fear is based on what I saw in yesterday's ATL@TB game. That game showed that running + passing to the RB is the way to go, making McCaffery (Playing Freeman's role) the one player everyone should be starting against TB.

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

I benched him once and I got burned......but my gut is not feeling this game for the three reasons I mentioned:

1.shoulder dinged

2.olsen hogging it all

3. Previous TB game

4. Byrd coming on

I think that you basically nailed it. Also, coming off a dreadful performance does not help. For me, he would have to be practicing from Thursday on in full for me to even consider him at this point. It all comes down to your roster though. Cam is hot, TB defense is not and are extremely banged up everywhere. I'm starting to listen and buy in to the Olsen chatter. I wish we had one more week to evaluate this situation, but at least we can gauge it for next season.