NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

5 minutes ago, 3FLi said:

Is his outlook bleak enough to start a waiver guy like K. Coles over?

It shouldn’t be. Everything is aligned for a big game. Horrible CB, cam is hot, and Carolina is rolling. TBay should have a big letdown on the road after their tough loss on Monday night football. 

Yeah, Olsen takes away and then there is that RB catching passes, but you would think Fun should get his 8 targets too. 

Cole has been hot but I have noticed SF defense has not allowed the slot receiver to do much, including the Great Baldwin in week 12...only 25 yds.  Honestly, I think Dede is the one Jaguar to own, not Cole. 

But yes last weeks game was disappointing but remember Shepard two weeks ago caught one and then came back with about 13 last week. I’m not saying it will be that big, but if he is not limited with his shoulder, he should do fine. 

But, hey, I admit, WRs have tormented me all year. 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are being weirdly pessimistic about him this week. Everybody has bad games; he was coming off 4 double-digit scoring games in a row in standard. Tampa is literally the worst defense in the NFL at stopping fantasy WRs. They're also the 2nd best against TEs. He's been putting up WR2 numbers all season, so why exactly would anybody be sitting him now for the likes of Keelan Cole?

26 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I think people are being weirdly pessimistic about him this week. Everybody has bad games; he was coming off 4 double-digit scoring games in a row in standard. Tampa is literally the worst defense in the NFL at stopping fantasy WRs. They're also the 2nd best against TEs. He's been putting up WR2 numbers all season, so why exactly would anybody be sitting him now for the likes of Keelan Cole?

It's just too easy to be pessimistic after playing him in what should've been a cupcake matchup.  This week's matchup seems to tell you he is a 100% start here though, with the TE stat you threw out possibly nullifying the Olsen effect some.  But we also look at the Atlanta game and see Julio do nothing and Freeman get all the burn.  It's not inconceivable that Panthers get a little success on the ground and just pound it to death if it keeps working.  Between last week's dud, Olsen's resurgence, and the possibility of it being the J Stew/McCaffrey show, it's really, really easy to be skeptical here.  Agreed that you can't consider him for options like Cole though.  For me it's more the Dez, Goodwin types I'm looking at in the mix, knowing the dangers with them as well.

1 minute ago, CharlesCC2 said:

It's just too easy to be pessimistic after playing him in what should've been a cupcake matchup.  This week's matchup seems to tell you he is a 100% start here though, with the TE stat you threw out possibly nullifying the Olsen effect some.  But we also look at the Atlanta game and see Julio do nothing and Freeman get all the burn.  It's not inconceivable that Panthers get a little success on the ground and just pound it to death if it keeps working.  Between last week's dud, Olsen's resurgence, and the possibility of it being the J Stew/McCaffrey show, it's really, really easy to be skeptical here.  Agreed that you can't consider him for options like Cole though.  For me it's more the Dez, Goodwin types I'm looking at in the mix, knowing the dangers with them as well.

Good point Rivera is obsessed with establishing the power running game whenever he can.  Reminds me of a high school football coaches mentality  sometimes

Any Carolina fans have insight into the shoulder injury? Wondering if i should feel 'safe' starting him in championship week this sunday or go with some plan B option off the bench. 

This shoulder injury seems to be a real nagging issue and can't afford another week like last week.

The fact that he hasn’t practiced all week, not sure about today, should tell you something......he is damaged goods. All he needs is a good hit or hit the ground hard on that shoulder and guess what?  

Bye bye......just like last week.  I personally don’t want this headache and I am willing to suffer the consequences if he goes off. That is how I think through an issue like this. 

Of course, my bench guys aren’t bad- Shepard, Cole, Goodwin

34 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

The fact that he hasn’t practiced all week, not sure about today, should tell you something......he is damaged goods. All he needs is a good hit or hit the ground hard on that shoulder and guess what?  

Bye bye......just like last week.  I personally don’t want this headache and I am willing to suffer the consequences if he goes off. That is how I think through an issue like this. 

Of course, my bench guys aren’t bad- Shepard, Cole, Goodwin

Limited practice today

https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.htm?team=CAR

Right now I have fun chess in over juju and Gordon and I honestly think that is the best option. He is the number one wideout, Olsen will draw defensive attention after last weeks announcement that he is back. I can see 5/70/1... and to me, that’s good enough. Tb is bad vs pass.... they know that, we know that.... I think they force cam to throw it and funchess is beneficiary..... I could be wrong but my other options aren’t as safe floor wise imo

8 minutes ago, Dawgpound1985 said:

If he was healthy he's a no brainer to use but I don't know...  Last week, one hit and he was basically done.  My other options are Crabtree or Cole.  Just not sure.

Curious--will we let one bad game to leave him on the bench? People still start J. Jones, but perhaps that's not a good 1:1 comparison.

8 minutes ago, Dawgpound1985 said:

If he was healthy he's a no brainer to use but I don't know...  Last week, one hit and he was basically done.  My other options are Crabtree or Cole.  Just not sure.

Either one are better than Funchess because like you said, one hit, and he is gone, just like last week. That risk is too great for my liking, especially when I have guys like Cole and Wallace I can insert. 

10 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Right now I have fun chess in over juju and Gordon and I honestly think that is the best option. He is the number one wideout, Olsen will draw defensive attention after last weeks announcement that he is back. I can see 5/70/1... and to me, that’s good enough. Tb is bad vs pass.... they know that, we know that.... I think they force cam to throw it and funchess is beneficiary..... I could be wrong but my other options aren’t as safe floor wise imo

I hope the best for you, brother. I really do. 

Let us pray though.......

3 hours ago, Neogin said:

Curious--will we let one bad game to leave him on the bench? People still start J. Jones, but perhaps that's not a good 1:1 comparison.

Yes. Unfortunately, we are not giving away warrior medals here for participation and playing hurt. The sample size from last week is large enough at this point in the season to be extremely hesitant. Funchess has come through for me, but it just comes down to whose in the same tier, healthy and will get the snaps.

If someone said that he is fully healthy and will play his normal snaps post Benjamin, I'll be in.

Edited by nonstopfan
7 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Yes. Unfortunately, we are not giving away warrior medals here for participation and playing hurt. The sample size from last week is large enough at this point in the season to be extremely hesitant. Funchess has come through for me, but it just comes down to whose in the same tier, healthy and will get the snaps.

If someone said that he is fully healthy and will play his normal snaps post Benjamin, I'll be in.

Ah, I can understand your reasoning. I've always felt one bad game shouldn't impact our decision, but he's been dealing with this for the past 3 weeks, and his showdown with the Packers certainly didn't help.

The way I'm looking at Funchess is that one bad hit tomorrow will result in him exiting the game.

4 minutes ago, Neogin said:

Anyone riding the Funchess train to the finals? Looks like it's now or never.

For me, it's either him or Sanu and I am leaning Funchess (full PPR).  I'm scared that Fun takes one good hit and is out for the day, but the matchup is so appealing today that I feel I have to start him.  He could just be a decoy all day.... Sheesh!

6 minutes ago, res077y11 said:

For me, it's either him or Sanu and I am leaning Funchess (full PPR).  I'm scared that Fun takes one good hit and is out for the day, but the matchup is so appealing today that I feel I have to start him.  He could just be a decoy all day.... Sheesh!

That's my concern too. Jones Jr doesn't see that many targets anymore, and I'm worried about Cooks not seeing any targets versus Buf! Argh.