NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

20 hours ago, burninglegs said:

- 8 targets today, lead all Panthers players. 

- Averaging 9 targets/game over the last 3 games (since Olsen's week 2 injury).

- Averaging 6/60.3/1 over last 3 games which comes out to 18.1 points per game.

If he can maintain 8-10 targets per week + the red zone looks he gets, I think one can favorably look upon him as a WR2. Not to mention the upcoming schedule looks really nice as well. 

As an FYI for last season, WR1 in PPR leagues = ~ 15-20 ppg, ~WR2 = 12.6-14.6 ppg, WR3 = ~11.5-12.4. 

If he keeps getting around 8-10 targets, that should provide a safe floor of 4-5 receptions and 40-50 yards. Plus whatever redzone looks he gets. Next stretch of games until they face the Vikings is really nice. Not to mention Cam is looking much better in yet another game, this time again a decent Lions defense.

Funchess is definitely a WR2 with WR1 upside rest of season.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

w5YqX9a.gif

Looked like Megatron 2.0 on that TD grab in Detroit.

A few stats on Funchess through 5 weeks:

He has a 23.8% target share = #16 in the NFL

33.3% of his targets come in the redzone = #11 in the NFL

His end zone target share is 42.9% = #7 in the NFL

His dominator rating of 29.5% is good for #18 in the NFL

His target distance (total target depth) of 459 is good for #15 in the NFL

His 3 TDs is tied for #8 in the NFL

source.gif

Those throws behind the receiver that are still within reach that a lot of guys cannot bring in?

It was a third down conversion in their own territory mid 4th quarter when the Panthers were trying to hold their 17 point lead.  The accompanying analyst commentary:

"[Newton] said last week in New England, he praised Devin Funchess for what he called 'big boy catches' that he made.  And that's another example of it, just using his body against Quandre Diggs, he used those strong hands and his wide frame to keep him away from it, and that's another big boy catch for Devin Funchess."

11 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

He showed up in Yahoo as Questionable (and I own him in 2 leagues). Please say it ain't so.

Given that the Panthers didn't actually hold a practice, Monday's report merely serves as an estimation. Funchess is one of 10 players listed as a non-participant, one day after catching seven of eight targets for 53 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 27-24 win over the Lions.

Believe it or not, I dropped Benjamin to pick up Funchess. I figured, KB will probably draw the tougher CB plus I just now believe he is better.  And he is getting more targets, so putting all that together I made my decision. (I did not want two on the same team, especially with an erratic QB throwing it.) 

On one team I have Funchess, on another I have both. I'll let you know how that works out.

(Most likely: on Thursday they collide in practice, ending both seasons with multiple compound fractures. Don't say I didn't warn you.)

Juicy matchup ahead.  #2 (or lower) WRs have been eating against Philly lately:

Week 1 - Ryan Grant 4/61

Week 2 - Chris Conley 4/55

Week 3 - Shepard 7/133/1, Marshall 8/66

Week 4 - Tyrell Wms 5/115/1

Week 5 - JJ Nelson 4/80, Jaron and John Brown combine for 5/65/1

20 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Juicy matchup ahead.  #2 (or lower) WRs have been eating against Philly lately:

Week 1 - Ryan Grant 4/61

Week 2 - Chris Conley 4/55

Week 3 - Shepard 7/133/1, Marshall 8/66

Week 4 - Tyrell Wms 5/115/1

Week 5 - JJ Nelson 4/80, Jaron and John Brown combine for 5/65/1

If he plays, another DNP for tuesday. HATE thursday games.

I wouldn't mind owning him as a WR5 or 6 in my 12 team money league, as I've been pretty high on him. Now my WR6 is Doctson who I like as a high end stash.

Was glad to give a buddy an assist by recommending to add him off the wire to start. I don't think he's even close to borderline WR1 caliber but would definitely categorize him as a strong WR3/FLEX. I still think McCaffrey will wind up leading the team in receptions by year's end. 

41 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

If he plays, another DNP for tuesday. HATE thursday games.

I've played plenty of running backs this year on TNF, because they typically perform better in fantasy on TNF due to all the blowouts. Worked out great for Muscle Hamster!

If you have a comparable option to Funchess (like I do), sit him. I don't at all trust him for Thursday at this point. 

However, in training camp this season, Funchess’ name was consistently brought up as a player who made strides from where he was last year, and he was praised by coaches for his work ethic and attitude. Often times preseason praise echoes hollow a few weeks after it’s said, but Funchess has proven that he’s a different player this year. After catching just 23 passes all of last season, Funchess has picked up the slack for Greg Olsen in a big way by racking up 24 receptions through the first four games this year, including 14 in the past two weeks. Week three saw him have his first multi-touchdown game in the NFL, and he now has two games with seven or more receptions this year after only having one such game in his first two full seasons. So what has Funchess done differently this year?

The first thing you notice when watching Devin Funchess in these past two weeks his his increased aggressiveness. He’s finally beginning to realize the advantage he has over defensive backs in that he’s about five inches taller than almost every one of them. Cam Newton has been very accurate lately, and he’s been able to place his passes in spots where only Funchess can grab them: high. On two of his three touchdown catches, Newton threw the ball out of the reach of defensive backs and gave Funchess the opportunity to climb the ladder and snag them. On both catches, he used his strength to hold onto the ball through contact an complete the catch, which is exactly what the Panthers envisioned him doing when they traded up to draft him in the second round. Funchess is finally harnessing his ability and playing like the tall, physical receiver he is. On top of Funchess’ newfound aggressiveness is the precise route running that he’s displayed in the past few games. He’s become a very polished route runner and has left defenders in the dust on more than a few occasions.

But the thing that’s impressed me most about Funchess’ arrival is his toughness. In the win against New England, he started experiencing calf cramps after getting tackled awkwardly and had to limp off the field. He layer down for one play on the sidelines as Panther’s trainers tried to work out the knot in his leg, but then Panthers coaches called him back onto the field for a crucial third and three that Carolina needed to convert to stave off a Tom Brady comeback. Limping back onto the field, Funchess ran a flawless route that left Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler three steps behind, then caught a pass that ultimately sealed the victory for Carolina by putting them into field goal range. Outside of this specific play, Funchess has made numerous catches in the past few weeks by absorbing big hits and gained tough yards by fighting after contact.

http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/nfc/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/news/108971/devin-funchess-arrived.html/?utm_content=buffer3eeea&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

For those worried about Funchess, he should be fine:

Panthers coach Ron Rivera told reporters that he wasn't concerned with Funchess' absence from practice.

"Funchess should be fine. Just sore from a very physical game," Rivera said Tuesday.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/10/10/Fantasy-Football-Carolina-Panthers-WR-Devin-Funchess-nursing-knee-injury/6011507664003/

8 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

I just read he is playing, anyone rolling him out? I am iffy with the missed practices, i do not want a Thursday night 0 from him. 

I'm not risking it on a short week with him being on the injury report, I prefer to take my chances with Tate vs the Saints