NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Devin Funchess 2017 Season Outlook

17 hours ago, Panthor said:

he is out targeting Benjamin, so i'd say he is the new go to guy.  and there have been numerous quotes about him making the big boy catches.  the bigger question is what will happen if Olsen returns?  the schedule looks great and we could have a potential championship maker here with Funchess

Olsen was hardly lighting the world on fire before he was injured.  I don't expect him to simply plug in and become a stud nor do I expect Funchess to take a back seat. I think it all comes down to Cam and how he is playing and who he feels most comfortable targeting.  My view is if Funchess is producing for Cam then Cam is not going to make any significant changes with his targets. Case in point Ed had a monster game for a TE and Funchess still had a great game.

I think Funchess is benefiting as a hybrid of olsen+kelvin with more flexibility in the offense so he takes targets away from both.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

Olsen comes back week 8-10? I dont know?

Even if he does you have to think if Funchess keeps up his good play he will still get targeted by Cam and not ignored once Olsen comes back

from a football sense that is correct, but from the fantasy prospective i'm not so sure, he could have his volume cut back enough to make it him not startable in the WR slot.  since he has basically taken over Olsen's role in the offense as the possession receiver/chain mover.  from a football perspective Olsen's return makes the team that much better, but from a fantasy perspective since they are playing the same role, i have to wonder if they just cannibalize each other's value, but with the state of TE, Olsen will still be a great starting option.  we would need for Funchess to evolve his role or for an injury to happen for Funchess to remain at this production level

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Olsen was hardly lighting the world on fire before he was injured.  I don't expect him to simply plug in and become a stud nor do I expect Funchess to take a back seat. I think it all comes down to Cam and how he is playing and who he feels most comfortable targeting.  My view is if Funchess is producing for Cam then Cam is not going to make any significant changes with his targets. Case in point Ed had a monster game for a TE and Funchess still had a great game.

I think Funchess is benefiting as a hybrid of olsen+kelvin with more flexibility in the offense so he takes targets away from both.

i see your point  but Ed Dickson is not a good example to make this argument, he isn't anywhere near Olsen as far as his role in the offefnse, and the only reason he was even remotely impressive was because he broke out some big plays, he had 5 targets and made the most of them.  Olsen averages 8 targets a game in 2016 and has a crucial role in the offense,  Dickson is a guy they plug in because they need a warm body who had a high of 5 targets in 2016

13 minutes ago, Panthor said:

from a football sense that is correct, but from the fantasy prospective i'm not so sure, he could have his volume cut back enough to make it him not startable in the WR slot.  since he has basically taken over Olsen's role in the offense as the possession receiver/chain mover.  from a football perspective Olsen's return makes the team that much better, but from a fantasy perspective since they are playing the same role, i have to wonder if they just cannibalize each other's value, but with the state of TE, Olsen will still be a great starting option.  we would need for Funchess to evolve his role or for an injury to happen for Funchess to remain at this production level

Funchess is better than Benjamin. Funchess won't go away this season, regardless of when Olsen comes back.

2 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Funchess is better than Benjamin. Funchess won't go away this season, regardless of when Olsen comes back.

i hope it is true because with that schedule he is bringing people championships, but i need to see more games before my concerns are removed

32 minutes ago, Panthor said:

i see your point  but Ed Dickson is not a good example to make this argument, he isn't anywhere near Olsen as far as his role in the offefnse, and the only reason he was even remotely impressive was because he broke out some big plays, he had 5 targets and made the most of them.  Olsen averages 8 targets a game in 2016 and has a crucial role in the offense,  Dickson is a guy they plug in because they need a warm body who had a high of 5 targets in 2016

i'm not comping the talent, I'm pointing out how even in with Ed dickson having a 20pt fantasy week based on monster yardage, Funchess was still able to produce 18pts.  So olsen back shouldnt kill Funchess value 

21 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

That was not good. The 9 targets was great, but Cam was terrible as evidenced by the 3 INTs. Targets were there, but most of them were terrible throws (Funchess did drop one that he should have caught). 

I hate TNF.

To be completely fair, one interception was a beautiful pass to JStew who bobbled it in his hand...

and cam did have a perfect throw to Dickson who bobbled it. (This wasn't an interception just a really important play)

not saying cam played good, but the stat sheet isn't telling the complete story... plus the play calling was terrible

Edited by WaiverHero

for those that missed the game, funchess looked like he was on a snap count the first half, coming off the field a lot and ending up with only 2 targets because of it

2nd half had to do cam's inaccuracy, that's why most of his completions were dump offs to cmc or 10 yard passes to kelvin with some yac

cam went intermediate or deep to funchess several times in the 2nd half, the favorite deep threat, but cam was just way off either getting picked or almost picked.  i missed the last 3 minutes but before that the announcers said funchess' 20 yard catch was the longest throw cam completed

maybe it was the short week, maybe cam's head wasn't in the game because of the female comment and losing a sponsorship because of it, maybe it was just cam being cam, but the opportunities were there for funchess even after the snap count in the first half but it just wasn't cam's night 

3 minutes ago, WaiverHero said:

To be completely fair, one interception was a beautiful pass to JStew who bobbled it in his hand...

and cam did have a perfect throw to Dickson who bobbled it. (This wasn't an interception just a really important play)

not saying cam played good, but the stat sheet isn't telling the complete story... plus the play calling was terrible

For sure, the JStew INT was just a lucky INT for the defense. But Cam's throws were way off and there were a couple of others the defense didn't catch that should have been INTs. He was off and played poorly. The Eagles got a lot of pressure on him. I will agree that the play calling was terrible.

Funchess didn't look 100% and Cam didn't play that well. Cam was missing throws all night but two of the interceptions weren't really his fault (although there were 2 or 3 bad passes that should've been intercepted but were dropped by the defense). Also, after a real athletic play where Cam stretched for the pylon while going out of bounds for what looked to me like a TD but was ruled he was out of bounds (and upheld by challenge) Cam stayed down a little bit after falling awkwardly. He seemed to be visibly grimacing after plays later in the game and was slow to get up after a few plays. 

Funchess still got 9 targets but Benjamin got 13, Dickinson got 8 and McCaffrey got 14. Cam struggled throwing the ball down the field (even when he targeted Funchess most of them weren't remotely catchable) which led to a lot of check downs and short throws to McCaffrey. 

Not a positive game or sign for Funchess mostly due to questions marks around Cam's health coming up again. Full disclosure I'm not an owner but I did have a trade request pending for him and promptly withdrew it early into the game. The clock is ticking for Olsen's return (has 3-5 weeks remaining on the original 6-8 week time frame) too which can't bode well for Funchess future targets especially if Cam opts for more short and medium throws due to his health. 

39 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

I didn’t see the game but to see Funchess had 9targets and only 3catches is very disturbing. What happened?

Cam happened.

Im not worried he gets a little extra time to heal up now. 

It was disturbing he wasnt targeted in the RZ

41 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

I didn’t see the game but to see Funchess had 9targets and only 3catches is very disturbing. What happened?

It was the Kelvin Benjamin show.  To say he got 9 targets is being kind.  Most of those were uncatchable- he wasn't open, it was thrown behind him, or he was just in the general area.  Cam was either throwing to KB or Dickson. 

I was hoping this guy would fill in for Parker, but looks like I'm gonna have to keep on looking...