Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Completed Trades


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Guess they weren't happy with Tim Beckham

Beckham to 2B.  Brad Miller seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.  No updates in a long time about his recovery time and he played badly when he was in the line-up this season.

If Miller comes back and performs well I could see Hechavarria becoming more of a utility guy and late inning defense maybe.  As long as Beckham keeps performing like he has all year so far anyway they can't sideline him.  But there has been a rotation of utility players at 2B for a pretty long time now with Miler out and TB is suddenly finding itself a legit contender and needs to shore up 2B asap with Beckham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bravesfan155 said:

who benefits for thr Marlins. JT Riddle?

JT Riddle was already named the every day starter before this trade so yeah he continues in the role.  Think it was last week or the week before Marlins made the move official and said they wanted to trade Hechavarria.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Beckham to 2B.  Brad Miller seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.  No updates in a long time about his recovery time and he played badly when he was in the line-up this season.

If Miller comes back and performs well I could see Hechavarria becoming more of a utility guy and late inning defense maybe.  As long as Beckham keeps performing like he has all year so far anyway they can't sideline him.  But there has been a rotation of utility players at 2B for a pretty long time now with Miler out and TB is suddenly finding itself a legit contender and needs to shore up 2B asap with Beckham.

after his remarkable 2016 season Miller was on the rise his ADP was 140 (just around round 12/13) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

JT Riddle was already named the every day starter before this trade so yeah he continues in the role.  Think it was last week or the week before Marlins made the move official and said they wanted to trade Hechavarria.

 

Just took a glance at his stats. 1 for his last 26 AB's. In the field - 9 errors so far between MLB and AAA.

 

I guess they're throwing in the towel though, they're pretty far back in both the NL East race and the wildcard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Bloody hell was that a haul for Quintana. 

Yeah, and I'm not even sure he's going to be all that good. FIP/xFIP are all around 4.00, his BB/9 is way up, HR/9 is way up... might be a good buy though, I guess. High BABIP and his velo/hard% is basically at career norms or better.

Still. Unreal haul for the guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Moncada, Kopech, Robert, Giolito,  Lopez, Fulmer, Burdi, Collins, Tilson, and now Jimenez... Wow

Cease also.  He's a stud.  White Sox got best farm system in MLB now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Moncada, Kopech, Robert, Giolito,  Lopez, Fulmer, Burdi, Collins, Tilson, and now Jimenez... Wow

Cease was Cubbies #2 propect and far from an afterthought.  He could slot behind Kopech in terms of pitching prospects...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Yeah, and I'm not even sure he's going to be all that good. FIP/xFIP are all around 4.00, his BB/9 is way up, HR/9 is way up... might be a good buy though, I guess. High BABIP and his velo/hard% is basically at career norms or better.

Still. Unreal haul for the guy.

 

The high price comes from him being a longer-term controllable asset vs. just a rental player, but agreed it's a lot to pay.  I'm sure the way the Cubs see it is he's signed to a team friendly deal through 2020, so worst case that he's still not very good this year, he's a good middle of the rotation piece to have for the next few years in their prime window to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Bloody hell was that a haul for Quintana. 

Seems like this package should've gotten them Archer. Now maybe TB isn't selling at this point, & there wasn't a lot available, but it seems a panicky move by Theo, which is shocking. 

White Sox fans have to be happy. As a Tigers fan who has watched them hold these guys 2 years too long and have them become worthless, I'm jealous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentioned this in another thread, but the Braves were hot after Quintana too.  Braves beat writer site I follow thought they would get him today for some combination of Albies/Allard.  This morning/late last night rumors began surfacing the Cubs were offering Eloy.  They may have felt it was now or never to get a SP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I usually try to not overreact to deadline deals but that Sox/Cubs deal is nuts to me. Guess teams see more in Q than I do. As always time will tell but damn, the Sox are in great shape now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah I usually try to not overreact to deadline deals but that Sox/Cubs deal is nuts to me. Guess teams see more in Q than I do. As always time will tell but damn, the Sox are in great shape now. 

 

They gave up one super power prospect who could easily bust, an extremely risk sp who very may well be bullpen, and two guys I have never heard of for three years cost controlled jose Quintana who is probably a number 2 pitcher.

 

Seems like a steal for the Cubs to me especially with no real need for eloy with their current roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah I usually try to not overreact to deadline deals but that Sox/Cubs deal is nuts to me. Guess teams see more in Q than I do. As always time will tell but damn, the Sox are in great shape now. 

 

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

They gave up one super power prospect who could easily bust, an extremely risk sp who very may well be bullpen, and two guys I have never heard of for three years cost controlled jose Quintana who is probably a number 2 pitcher.

 

Seems like a steal for the Cubs to me especially with no real need for eloy with their current roster.

a couple of different opinions

 

the Cubs want to win now so they are trading there top hitter & pitcher in the system ... stay tune

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

They gave up one super power prospect who could easily bust, an extremely risk sp who very may well be bullpen, and two guys I have never heard of for three years cost controlled jose Quintana who is probably a number 2 pitcher.

 

Seems like a steal for the Cubs to me especially with no real need for eloy with their current roster.

I think the proper review is a win-win trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

They gave up one super power prospect who could easily bust, an extremely risk sp who very may well be bullpen, and two guys I have never heard of for three years cost controlled jose Quintana who is probably a number 2 pitcher.

 

Seems like a steal for the Cubs to me especially with no real need for eloy with their current roster.

 

Yeah I guess I'm just a skeptic of prospects in general, but there are plenty of cases where a star was traded for a boatload of prospects, and none of them panned out.  As a Jays fan I always remember getting Travis d'Arnaud, Brett Wallace, and Kyle Drabek for Roy Halladay, and everyone was so stoked that the farm system was full of great talent, and none of those guys turned into anything (other than an oft-injured meh catcher for the Mets).  I know there are lots of cases where prospects do pan out, but you're still trading a relatively known quantity on a good contract for a handful of magic beans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...