NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Completed Trades

Just now, steve9347 said:

I think the proper review is a win-win trade.

Not sold on this being a win for the White Sox even if Eloy is a fantasy prospect  I very much like. I think they should have worked harder with the astros to get something done as I like their guys better.

This can hardly be viewed as a win any time soon for the white Sox, like their other trades. It might be huge for them. 

I have little doubts Quintana will step in and do very well for the Cubs and be a bargain for them for a few years allowing them to spend money elsewhere.

Just because Cease is a the Cubs top pitching prospect doesn't mean he's going to be a mid rotation starter.

The Yankees got a better prospect in Torres for half a season of Chapman. Think about that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

They gave up one super power prospect who could easily bust, an extremely risk sp who very may well be bullpen, and two guys I have never heard of for three years cost controlled jose Quintana who is probably a number 2 pitcher.

Seems like a steal for the Cubs to me especially with no real need for eloy with their current roster.

A super power prospect.....with very manageable K rates.  Which is almost unheard of for a guy his age with his power.  For comparison at this age Miguel Sano had a 7% higher K rate.  The only argument you could make against Eloy is that he's likely a DH.  So a fit in AL is probably best.

Just now, handyandy86 said:

Yeah I guess I'm just a skeptic of prospects in general, but there are plenty of cases where a star was traded for a boatload of prospects, and none of them panned out.  As a Jays fan I always remember getting Travis d'Arnaud, Brett Wallace, and Kyle Drabek for Roy Halladay, and everyone was so stoked that the farm system was full of great talent, and none of those guys turned into anything (other than an oft-injured meh catcher for the Mets).  I know there are lots of cases where prospects do pan out, but you're still trading a relatively known quantity on a good contract for a handful of magic beans.

How did that Thor kid turn out :mellow:

1 minute ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

How did that Thor kid turn out :mellow:

That's just it . . . you're essentially trading for a lottery ticket.  Most MLB players were a top 10 prospect in someone's farm system at some point, so the chances you traded for the next Thor are pretty slim.  

I guess in the rebuilding game you're just acquiring as many prospects as you can and playing that numbers game.  If CWS put together a big enough stable of high end prospects then obviously they have better odds a couple might hit it big.  

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not sold on this being a win for the White Sox even if Eloy is a fantasy prospect  I very much like. I think they should have worked harder with the astros to get something done as I like their guys better.

This can hardly be viewed as a win any time soon for the white Sox, like their other trades. It might be huge for them. 

I have little doubts Quintana will step in and do very well for the Cubs and be a bargain for them for a few years allowing them to spend money elsewhere.

Just because Cease is a the Cubs top pitching prospect doesn't mean he's going to be a mid rotation starter.

The Yankees got a better prospect in Torres for half a season of Chapman. Think about that.

Quintana is having his worst year, which is supported by FIP & xFIP. And at best, he's. 3.50 SP. He's solid. Ok. But not to give up a top 5 overall prospect in baseball for IMO. And their 2nd best prospect. The gap between this package and the one BOS gave for Sale is not as great as the gap between Sale & Quintana. 

I think its a good deal for both, the Sox get 2 good prospects and the Cubs get a solid starter who is now maybe their number 1 if Lester isn't resigned, Theo knows how to draft he can replenish fairly quickly i would think

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Quintana is having his worst year, which is supported by FIP & xFIP. And at best, he's. 3.50 SP. He's solid. Ok. But not to give up a top 5 overall prospect in baseball for IMO. And their 2nd best prospect. The gap between this package and the one BOS gave for Sale is not as great as the gap between Sale & Quintana. 

Pitchers numbers also tend to get better moving from the AL to the NL

The question is, has never developing a changeuo caught up to Quintana?  His fastball has gone from a +29 rated pitch to -2 rated this year.  He throws fastball and curve 92% of the time.  I think the value lies in the fact that he's a warm body who's been very durable.  In MLB that's equivalent to being an NBA 7 footer with a pulse.  

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

A super power prospect.....with very manageable K rates.  Which is almost unheard of for a guy his age with his power.  For comparison at this age Miguel Sano had a 7% higher K rate.  The only argument you could make against Eloy is that he's likely a DH.  So a fit in AL is probably best.

Totally agree. 

Yeah no prospect is a guarantee but people were writing off Aaron Judge last season too.  Eloy has the possibility within him of a Sano or Judge type of super power hitter.  No how no way did the White Sox get screwed on this deal.  Add in Cease and they made out like bandits.  Especially since Quintana hasn't been all that this season.  They got rid of him at the right time. 

Theo panicked and outdid Dealin' Dave Dombrowski on emptying the cupboard on this one.  At least Dombrowski got Chris Sale back for his minor league assets.  Theo got back a middle of the rotation guy at best and again not doing so well this season so he may no longer be that.

White Sox are going to finally be THE Chicago team in a few years.  No more back burner to the Cubs.  Man what a farm system.  Wow!  Who in the White Sox front office is the genius behind their sell off?  I've never seen such hauls as he got back from Boston, Washington and now the Cubs.

Congrats to the Chicago White Sox.  Glad their fans finally are having something to look forward to.  It must irk to see all the national attention and touch-feely stuff always center on the Cubs.  Yes the Cubs earned it last few years but I just can't imagine how White Sox fans have felt down the years.  Even when the Cubs sucked they got more attention and love than the White Sox.

28 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

They gave up one super power prospect who could easily bust, an extremely risk sp who very may well be bullpen, and two guys I have never heard of for three years cost controlled jose Quintana who is probably a number 2 pitcher.

Seems like a steal for the Cubs to me especially with no real need for eloy with their current roster.

Yeah I a mean I get that any prospects deal has inherent risk. Qs control helps and the time is now for the Cubs.

I think pretty highly of Eloy though and don't really think he's got many warning flags that scream bust. He has a long way to go though clearly. Plus I view Q as more of an SP3 and nothing spectacular. 

They needed pitching, they got it. Just not in love with the cost. 

12 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

The question is, has never developing a changeuo caught up to Quintana?  His fastball has gone from a +29 rated pitch to -2 rated this year.  He throws fastball and curve 92% of the time.  I think the value lies in the fact that he's a warm body who's been very durable.  In MLB that's equivalent to being an NBA 7 footer with a pulse.  

Yup. And I'm not sure MUCH of an upgrade over Hendricks, Montgomery. 

29 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I'd say a 3.50 in today's game is super valuable. His XFIP is .1 higher than last year, his FIP is at 4.01.  I agree he's having a bad year for Quintana standards but his FIP and XFip are like half a run lower than his ERA (so not that supported really). Even if it was unequivocally supported, it's half a season of a proven vet in his 20s. If there are more warning signs for Quintana then lets hear them because the FIP and XFip arent really that bad.... certainly worse than previous years.  I need more than a half seasons worth of FIP/XFip to say that Quintana is average or bad. 

Maybe for fantasy he's an SP3, but for real life baseball I think he's a 2. Maybe on the Cubs hes a 3-5 depending on how the other guys shape up. I think I'd have trouble naming 30 pitchers I'd absolutely want over Quintana for the next 3.5 years.  I think if Quintana was a free agent after this season (assuming he finishes alright) he would command close to or over 100 million on the market. 

If Eloy is great this works out fine for the Whie Sox, but 3.5 years of what Quintana is not something to brush away. Thats insanely valuable.

6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

@brockpapersizer 

I was right there with you in the offseason. Felt he was underrated and cheap and controlled. But man, I haven't liked what I've seen this year. And like I said, it doesn't appear to be bad luck. 

What does it appear to be then?  Honestly asking.  Do you think he's just bad now? I personally don't think a guy who has his track record suddenly just becomes a substantially worse pitcher at 28.  If he's injured, I'd imagine it would show up in physicals. Maybe he's tipping his pitches? I don't know.  I don't think he's close to Chris Sale, but I think he's going to be a good pitcher.

I also disagree with the packages being similar.  People are seeing Kopech as a minor disappointment this year as an excuse to make these packages look similar. Thats what happens with prospects, their value fluctates a lot.  At the time Moncada was the top (not arguably top 5 like Eloy) prospect along with Benetendi that was already in the high majors/majors. And Kopech has Thor potential. 

I think this trade in the end is fine for both teams, and I like what the Cubs did a lot based on their current team. 

39 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Theo got back a middle of the rotation guy at best and again not doing so well this season so he may no longer be that.

I know he hasn't been that good this year, but his ERA / FIP / IP over the past 4 seasons:

3.51 ERA / 3.82 FIP / 200.0 IP

3.32 ERA / 2.81 FIP / 200.1 IP

3.36 ERA / 3.18 FIP / 206.1 IP

3.20 ERA / 3.56 FIP / 208.0 IP

That's a long way from being just a "middle of the rotation guy".  Granted this year has been rough, but if he gets his BB/9 back down to career norms I think he'll be just fine.  

Like others have said, this is as close to a win-win trade as you can get.  

36 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yup. And I'm not sure MUCH of an upgrade over Hendricks, Montgomery. 

Ummm, Quintana is a massive upgrade over Hendricks and Montgomery and he should slot in nicely right behind a struggling Jon Lester - that really cannot be questioned.

That being said...... a very interesting deal for the Cubs.

2 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I know he hasn't been that good this year, but his ERA / FIP / IP over the past 4 seasons:

3.51 ERA / 3.82 FIP / 200.0 IP

3.32 ERA / 2.81 FIP / 200.1 IP

3.36 ERA / 3.18 FIP / 206.1 IP

3.20 ERA / 3.56 FIP / 208.0 IP

That's a long way from being just a "middle of the rotation guy".  Granted this year has been rough, but if he gets his BB/9 back down to career norms I think he'll be just fine.  

Like others have said, this is as close to a win-win trade as you can get.  

In the 119 starts that Quintana has lost, he has the lowest ERA in baseball in that sort of time period next to a man called:  Clayton Kershaw.

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Ummm, Quintana is a massive upgrade over Hendricks and Montgomery - that really cannot be questioned.

That being said...... a very interesting deal for the Cubs.

Really feels like a lot of people are looking at this trade as Eloy is Stanton and Quintana is a scrub. 

8 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Ummm, Quintana is a massive upgrade over Hendricks and Montgomery and he should slot in nicely right behind a struggling Jon Lester - that really cannot be questioned.

ZIPS & Steamer projections disagree with you. 

1 minute ago, mortl said:

1B Garrett Cooper 

Who?  When I first saw the trade I thought the Yankees were after Jesus Anguliar (sp?) is it and were going to throw in another warm body for same.  Please explain who Cooper is someone.  Not help for this year surely so does that mean they are more and more concerned about Greg Bird?

Archived