Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Completed Trades


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Quintana is having his worst year, which is supported by FIP & xFIP. And at best, he's. 3.50 SP. He's solid. Ok. But not to give up a top 5 overall prospect in baseball for IMO. And their 2nd best prospect. The gap between this package and the one BOS gave for Sale is not as great as the gap between Sale & Quintana. 

 

This is a tough comparison due to the fact that neither FO nor Sale wanted Sale in the org.  The world knew this and hence the reason the value is different.  Hell, in that case the Sale trade was a huge win for CWS.

 

I've never been a big fan of Quintana, but I don't analyze the underlying metrics so maybe Wrigley plays well to his strengths?  He moves to a division that was already the Cubs' to win, IMO (despite their struggles).  NL Central is a cake walk in my opinion.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Thats true all good points. But you could also think of it as if they don't pan out beyond one guy turning into a 1-2 WAR guy, that they could have made a better deal with the Astros or someone.  Also he's 28, I don't think it's that crazy that White Sox could be good in 2 years and Quinatana could have been a force on that team. 

And the guys they got from Houston may have turned out the same. They were going to get upside and hope for the best, no matter who it was from. 

 

The white sox may have been competitive then, but that is highly unlikely. If they hold him on the off chance they are and they arent... Well... They just hurt the rebuild that much more.

 

The key to prospects is quantity and quality. No one is a sure thing, but cast a wide net and you're bound to get a fish.

 

And jimenez or cease being 1-2 war for 6-8 years are more valuable to them than Quintana for that one year. And there's a chance that one of the two is a 3+ war player each year for years. 

 

Gotta take chances. Houston did it. Chicago did it. Cant dabble in the middle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

And the guys they got from Houston may have turned out the same. They were going to get upside and hope for the best, no matter who it was from. 

 

The white sox may have been competitive then, but that is highly unlikely. If they hold him on the off chance they are and they arent... Well... They just hurt the rebuild that much more.

 

The key to prospects is quantity and quality. No one is a sure thing, but cast a wide net and you're bound to get a fish.

 

And jimenez or cease being 1-2 war for 6-8 years are more valuable to them than Quintana for that one year. And there's a chance that one of the two is a 3+ war player each year for years. 

 

Gotta take chances. Houston did it. Chicago did it. Cant dabble in the middle. 

 

This.  We all play armchair quarterbacks and say "omg Cubs, you paid way too much, you got screwed" when we don't know the pressures from ownership and the market to win - that's what makes Theo a great manager, which at this point I think is irrefutable after his success with two different orgs.  Honestly I feel like Theo winning the WS last year was the worst thing that could happen to him, as the pressure to win is so much greater now than if the Indians had won. He's expected to crank out a World Series appearance at least every year now.  

 

Everyone expected the Cubs to choke last year - now, everyone expects them to be a dynasty.  Chicago is the new New York.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skoodog said:

 

This is a tough comparison due to the fact that neither FO nor Sale wanted Sale in the org.  The world knew this and hence the reason the value is different.  Hell, in that case the Sale trade was a huge win for CWS.

 

I've never been a big fan of Quintana, but I don't analyze the underlying metrics so maybe Wrigley plays well to his strengths?  He moves to a division that was already the Cubs' to win, IMO (despite their struggles).  NL Central is a cake walk in my opinion.  

 

This move for the Cubs is more about the next few years and the stability Quintana provides the pitching staff with his on-field performance. His price tag makes his value in prospects go up. Just look at what CWS got for Adam Eaton. Maybe you guys know all this, but many seem to be not giving that proper weight when evaluating this trade. 

 

And great trade for the White Sox to make sure they get the upside pitching prospect also. That one stings as much as Jimenez imo, given the Cubs' surplus of young outfielders in the majors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quintina is a known pitcher that has been available for a good time now. Pretty sure the astro's or whoever were not willing to pony up a better deal than Eloy/Cease. At least in the white sox/white sox scouts eyes.  Like say.. tucker was never on the table and few others.

 

Maybe the valuation of Eloy/Cease was too high. That is always possible...but i don't assume outright incompetence unless the organization has show to be it(ala d backs with Stewert)

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hahn said his team’s return from the Cubs far exceeds any offer they’d previously received."

 

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-sox/cubs-best-offer-jose-quintana-made-it-easy-rick-hahn-white-sox-quickly-pull?amp

 

EDIT: Hahn's text "inadvertently" came in during Lester's 10-run 1st inning on Sunday. Haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

"Hahn said his team’s return from the Cubs far exceeds any offer they’d previously received."

 

 

 

Could be true but also a smart thing to say regardless. He's not Vlade Divac saying they had a better offer days ago.

 

They should be  saying the guys they got are better than any offer. Every team should be saying that after a trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 year old Quintana, under contract for 3 more years at a cost of less than 10M per season; He has exceeded 200IP 4 seasons in a row. So he's cheap,young,durable,under contract for a while and oh yeah he's pretty good at pitching too.

 

MLB Ranks 2014-2017(500IP MIN)

ERA: 3.47(22nd)

FIP: 3.31(16th)

fWAR: 16.6(8th)

 

But he's bad this year right? Not really, he just got off to a very rough start. Since June 1st

2.70ERA

3.40FIP

10.13K/9

 

Looking at all that, I'm not sure how someone can claim the Cubs overpaid. .

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

And finally, the best part of the Quintana deal, is it was first reported on Reddit by KatyPerrysBootyHole & wetbutt23. Apparently CSN credited "wetbutt23" with breaking the story. 

 

 

ded

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

And finally, the best part of the Quintana deal, is it was first reported on Reddit by KatyPerrysBootyHole & wetbutt23. Apparently CSN credited "wetbutt23" with breaking the story. 

 

 

 

Katy Perrys Booty Hole....always underated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Dbacks are sending prospects Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara and Jose King to the Tigers in exchange for J.D. Martinez.

So they got JD off the wire for nothing...nice

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Dbacks are sending prospects Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara and Jose King to the Tigers in exchange for J.D. Martinez.

After doing a deep dive of these prospects, #FireAvila

This wasn't the deadline. No reason to pull the trigger today. Should've gotten ONE top 100 prospect IMO. 

Good for ARI though. 

Pollock

Owings

Goldy

Lamb

JD

Peralta

 

Thats a great 1-6

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yanks got 

DRob

Frazier

Kahnle

 

White Sox got

Clippard

and 3 prospects

 

Fantasy-wise in leagues that do not count holds, DRob's value is now shot since the only saves he will be getting IMO are if both Chap and Betances are unavailable. Kahnle owners must be disappointed too as he will be nothing but a 6th/7th inning option. I think Frazier's value gets a slight bump up if he winds up getting consistent playing time and then obviously the biggest winner here is Clippard.  He will get first crack at the closer spot in Chicago and although he's struggled this year he could provide some valuable late season saves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...