Lonzo Ball 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If y'all need steals be sure to draft LiAngelo next time

Ball's old man will probably spin Lonzo's horrific shooting percentages into something positive.  "Lonzo is revolutionizing the game.  All these guys that came before him made shots.  How damn boring

I got the gimmick down:   He played 40 minutes. Anybody that plays 40 minutes should get those stats.    He passes all the time. Anyone that passes as much as he does should get th

Posted Images

5 hours ago, VaTerp said:

The Kidd comparison is actually a pretty good one.

Gonna put up a lot of lines like tonight's.  Great value this year and a building block for the future.  Especially when punting points.

punting FG%, points and turnovers. but yeah, as I said earlier. He would be flirting with a triple double on a daily basis but shooting wise would be bad

35 minutes ago, Pumbaa said:

I really like counting stats, but efficiency is awful so far... hopefully he improves to 40-45% FG and ~80%FT

fantasy aside, kids got talent. very interesting player with nice feel for the hoops.

I agree, long term I think he's gonna be a big contributor to the Lakers winning games again, people are going to want to play with him, and he'll make them better.

47 minutes ago, atlantadynasty said:

Rajon Rondo 2.0? I know you guys will attack me but that's what he looks like for now. Obviously it's waaaayyy too early to judge but that shot needs to get fixed 

I won't attack you....his shot looks 100 times worse than Rajon's...there is no way that shot can be successful from a PG position in the NBA.  

53 minutes ago, atlantadynasty said:

Rajon Rondo 2.0? I know you guys will attack me but that's what he looks like for now. Obviously it's waaaayyy too early to judge but that shot needs to get fixed 

In fantasy stats, maybe, but Lonzo's method of facilitating the offense is much more movement focused.

That might not really matter on this forum now, but ten years from now he can still be very relevant whereas we see that Rondo's style of running an offense isn't particularly popular around the league, which is why he's a fringe fantasy player now.

2 minutes ago, Dupontpt said:

I dont understand the hype of this kid. he seems unready at nba level and doesnt show that he have much of talent for all this talk

Uh because he's a rookie nearly averaging a triple double with a 3, a steal, and solid blocks for a guard.

It's fair to criticize his shot (and maybe TO's), but everything else is looking fine.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, stopmakingsense said:

Uh because he's a rookie nearly averaging a triple double with a 3, a steal, and solid blocks for a guard.

It's fair to criticize his shot (and maybe TO's), but everything else is looking fine.

Stop making sense.

14 minutes ago, Dupontpt said:

I dont understand the hype of this kid. he seems unready at nba level and doesnt show that he have much of talent for all this talk

I do not care for Lonzo either...but this is beyond silly lol.

He was almost the youngest player in history of the NBA to notch a triple double (as history has shown, its not easy to do)...and he still has 4 weeks to do it...

He's obviously ready to perform at the NBA level. He may never develop a consistent 45% shot....but he can still be a factor in the NBA and have a very good career.

Edited by crocp

This guy is doing EXACTLY what people who drafted him expected (if not better actually) guy is averaging almost a triple double. Any one clowning on this guy, is simply hating to hate.

Match this guy up with the Jordans/Goberts/Capelas of the world and your FG% is just fine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, atlantadynasty said:

I wouldn't really compare him to Rondo tbh. Rondo used to milk the clock and kick it to one of the truly elite players around him, whereas Lonzo is showing a lot of true court vision so far. These are smart passes, let alone for a rookie. And obviously his supporting cast isn't nearly on par with Rondo's team mates in Boston. It'd be interesting to see what Lonzo could do with some legit, seasoned players around him. 

His shot is beyond broken, and will never work in the NBA unless he fixes it entirely. But why wouldn't he be able to do that over time? He's a great rebounder for his position, an incredible distributor and, despite all the s--- he gets because of his knucklehead of a father, doesn't seem to let others get under his skin.

I like the early days-Jason Kidd comparison. 

1 minute ago, WFK said:

I wouldn't really compare him to Rondo tbh. Rondo used to milk the clock and kick it to one of the truly elite players around him, whereas Lonzo is showing a lot of true court vision so far. These are smart passes, let alone for a rookie. And obviously his supporting cast isn't nearly on par with Rondo's team mates in Boston. It'd be interesting to see what Lonzo could do with some legit, seasoned players around him. 

His shot is beyond broken, and will never work in the NBA unless he fixes it entirely. But why wouldn't he be able to do that over time? He's a great rebounder for his position, an incredible distributor and, despite all the s--- he gets because of his knucklehead of a father, doesn't seem to let others get under his skin.

I like the early days-Jason Kidd comparison. 

You are right in that Rondo had way better support, but what happens though when we establish (cause at the moment we aren't 100% sure) that his shooting is actually really bad? Then obviously teams will change the way they defend him and things will become much much harder. Problem is, his dad as u said, in that he created such a huge buzz that it's backfiring and people have high expectations 

42 minutes ago, atlantadynasty said:

You are right in that Rondo had way better support, but what happens though when we establish (cause at the moment we aren't 100% sure) that his shooting is actually really bad? Then obviously teams will change the way they defend him and things will become much much harder. Problem is, his dad as u said, in that he created such a huge buzz that it's backfiring and people have high expectations 

Yeah definitely agree with you there. The expectations are through the roof; this is the case for most lottery picks, but even more so for Lonzo due to his dad. Other PGs are out to get him and a large portion of the public hopes to see him fail. He's a solid basketball player though, because he's able to compensate his poor shooting touch with great court vision. A few years down the line he could potentially become one of those PGs that actually elevates the game of those around him. With time teams will probably change the way they defend him, because of his broken shot and this could hurt him; imo he'll really need to fix his shooting form if he wants to keep defenses honest in the future.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, atlantadynasty said:

What you're missing is the bigger part of what @WFK was saying, in that the way Rondo ran/runs an offense is pounding the rock for 16 seconds before trying to make a play.  Lonzo doesn't do that so they're fundamentally different in every way other than being horrible shooters.

From a fantasy perspective, they might come out looking similar, but that's about it.  Even then, the way Lonzo does it will almost certainly result in more possessions a game, thus upping counting stats just by virtue of more shots being taken, period.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

What you're missing is the bigger part of what @WFK was saying, in that the way Rondo ran/runs an offense is pounding the rock for 16 seconds before trying to make a play.  Lonzo doesn't do that so they're fundamentally different in every way other than being horrible shooters.

From a fantasy perspective, they might come out looking similar, but that's about it.  Even then, the way Lonzo does it will almost certainly result in more possessions a game, thus upping counting stats just by virtue of more shots being taken, period.

Rondo in Boston was in a different era. I just looked at 2011-12 and the Celtics pace was 21st in the league at 90.4. The Kings led the NBA in pace that year at 94.7. Just for reference, 94.7 would have tied for 28th in the NBA last year and 90.4 would been well below the 30th ranked Jazz at 93.6. If you look at early pace numbers this year they are even more elevated. 94.7 would be dead last by a mile. 90.4 would be laughed at today. Just a different era so it isn't apples to apples, but I think the Rondo/Kidd comps are in the ballpark for Lonzo. 

• Like 3