NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lonzo Ball 2017-2018 Season Outlook

I've been waiting for a bigger sample size to comment on this thread, but from watching every Lakers game so far, my observations are that he is talented, but not to the level that he was hyped to be. He won't be a superstar, and I have doubts that he could be even be an All Star. He has good size, good passer, and instincts on defense, but he is not going to be a great shooter. My biggest concern so far seems to be his lack of fire/intensity. He seems passive at times, and hasn't shown much explosiveness even though he has the physical tools to do it.

It is too early to call him a bust, but if I was a Lakers fan, I'd be very worried. His father's mouth wrote checks that this kid's game won't be able to cash, and all that extra pressure that comes with it is not going to make it any easier. Time will tell....

• Like 3
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If y'all need steals be sure to draft LiAngelo next time

Ball's old man will probably spin Lonzo's horrific shooting percentages into something positive.  "Lonzo is revolutionizing the game.  All these guys that came before him made shots.  How damn boring

I got the gimmick down:   He played 40 minutes. Anybody that plays 40 minutes should get those stats.    He passes all the time. Anyone that passes as much as he does should get th

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JMega said:

Not gonna lie hasn't looked engaged out there all night and has been passing the ball off early as soon as he passes half court. He does look legit tired right now though in the 4th so maybe it's just fatigue.

Somethings off about him on the offensive side. To be fair a lot of his passes have been nice but the Lakers are bad and aren't ready for some of them. Saw kuzma straight up drop 2-3 passes this game

1 hour ago, 12345game10 said:

Somethings off about him on the offensive side. To be fair a lot of his passes have been nice but the Lakers are bad and aren't ready for some of them. Saw kuzma straight up drop 2-3 passes this game

Kuzma mishandled one pass. Of all the players on the Lakers, you're really gonna put the blame on Kuzma??

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, samer42 said:

Kuzma mishandled one pass. Of all the players on the Lakers, you're really gonna put the blame on Kuzma??

Naw I dont own any Lonzo shares or anything, but I just wanted to defend him since I could visibly see some of the frustration when he made the right read, but Laker players weren't ready. Might not have been Kuzma every time though, my bad.

Being stoic isnt a metric for how good a player is, look at Kawhi - does he look like he cares about anything? Lol

I do agree that he was very passive and deferred too much. Didn’t make Lillard play much D and tbh that factored into the loss.

Not high on him and didnt draft him but i’ve watched him; Till he starts looking for his own shot and developing into an individual offensive threat - his ceiling is a Rondo / Rubio. Teams will sag off him till then.

Lol @ forum scouts nowadays. and I thought we were talking about fantasy basketball on these forums, but always his dad is going to be brought up, especially when Zo himself don't even mention his dad unless media or people ask him about it. And how apparently his personality is the wrong approach? He's too quiet so he'll never be good? What?

Especially when he's doing bad, people will come out and bash on him until he has a good game. He's a bust! He's never going to become a superstar! He's Rondo v2! Rubio v2!

I'm just going to sit back and watch him evolve his game. There are obvious flaws to his game, but so does 95% of rookies and other rookies in this draft class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
36 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Yeah people have been pointing this out for over a year now. But good on Charles for picking up on it. 

I think thats the exact point. That weakness has been glaring for over a year (even longer). And it is probably what will limit his game most. You wpuld have hoped he'd be more developed there, but thats what holding him back most in the pros, and it should have been something which had been further developed at UCLA. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, samer42 said:

Imagine thinking that the 2nd pick in the draft with all of this pressure on him "doesn't care" only a few games into his career 

I mean did you watch him on the court. Maybe he did care, but Lillard didn't have to defend AT ALL tonight. Either Lonzo was too passive or he didn't give a s---.

it's his lack of assertiveness right now .. there's really no way to say he sucka right now, because he's not even putting himself in positions where we can critique his play. he was literally passing the ball as soon as he touched it.. mighta taken 3 dribbles the entire game and even less shot attempts. but he's way too talented to play like that..we already seen what he can do when he takes charge. i just think he's not comfortable doing that yet..sorta like ingram last year.

i have a sneaking suspicion that part of his lack of killer instinct comes from him being a huge lebron fan.. hopefully he can grow out of that mentality by spending some time around magic. he needs to understand that you can be a pass first player and still be an assasssin. 

3 hours ago, JMega said:

Not gonna lie hasn't looked engaged out there all night and has been passing the ball off early as soon as he passes half court. He does look legit tired right now though in the 4th so maybe it's just fatigue.

He looks tired?? The season just started and the guy is barely 20 years old. He shouldn’t be fatigued he is supposed to be in great shape to play ball.