NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lonzo Ball 2017-2018 Season Outlook

I don't own Ball, but he is going to be great. It just won't happen consistently this year. Very few rookies come in to the league and dominate from day 1. Ball is especially handcuffed by a  bad shooting touch and less than premier athletic ability. So it shouldn't surprise anyone to see him struggle. He will still get the occasional triple double type lines, but you will get plenty of duds mixed in between. 

The time to own Ball is next year, not this year. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If y'all need steals be sure to draft LiAngelo next time

Ball's old man will probably spin Lonzo's horrific shooting percentages into something positive.  "Lonzo is revolutionizing the game.  All these guys that came before him made shots.  How damn boring

I got the gimmick down:   He played 40 minutes. Anybody that plays 40 minutes should get those stats.    He passes all the time. Anyone that passes as much as he does should get th

Posted Images

I like Ball.  He has great court vision and I think he's smart.  His handle and frame are NBA caliber for sure.  

My issue with this dude, like many others, is that funky shot release.  I don't think it works, and the NBA exposes it more than college did.  Now every team has some Maurice Harkless type of dude with crazy length and agility that will learn how to deny him getting that shot off.  He shot-puts the thing from the left every time, and has to execute this strange macro to get his shot off.  I don't like his release.  I feel like he needs to rebuild that from the ground up.  He's so young, but that could be a long process, and not sure if he'll do it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

that's a common misconception.. you can be a pass-first player and still have killer instinct

In what passing the ball?  If I'm a coach, I'm drawing a final play, Lonzo Ball is not shooting the ball. So if Lonzo brings the ball up and instead of passing the ball to an open man or to a shooter, he instead takes the shot and misses, do I praise him for his "killer instinct" or do I yell at him for shooting a shot he had no business taking?

9 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

In what passing the ball?  If I'm a coach, I'm drawing a final play, Lonzo Ball is not shooting the ball. So if Lonzo brings the ball up and instead of passing the ball to an open man or to a shooter, he instead takes the shot and misses, do I praise him for his "killer instinct" or do I yell at him for shooting a shot he had no business taking?

Both Chris Paul and Steve Nash are known pass first players, but they are also considered very clutch and have that killer instinct to close a game.

Edited by dekciw_1
  • Like 1
Just now, dekciw_1 said:

Both Chris Paul and Steve Nash are known pass first players, but they are also very clutch and have that killer instinct to close a game.

The point I'm making is that Lonzo can't shoot. He was making a comparison between Lebron and Lonzo and killer instinct. I would be okay with Lebron, Nash, or Paul taking the last shot in any game. Lonzo not soo much. That is what I'm trying to emphasis here. Everybody keeps naming shooters.

Lonzo is on the same level as possibly Rondo or MCW. I would not what them taking the last shot just to answer the call of having a "killer instinct". 

18 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

magic was pass first but he still had killer instinct .. you can control the game without shooting. lonzo simply hasn't been doing that the past couple games. he was literally treating the ball like a hot potato. 

2 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

magic was pass first but he still had killer instinct .. you can control the game without shooting. lonzo simply hasn't been doing that the past couple games. he was literally treating the ball like a hot potato. 

Because Kuzma & Lopez had the hot hand?

8 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

The point I'm making is that Lonzo can't shoot. He was making a comparison between Lebron and Lonzo and killer instinct. I would be okay with Lebron, Nash, or Paul taking the last shot in any game. Lonzo not soo much. That is what I'm trying to emphasis here. Everybody keeps naming shooters.

Lonzo is on the same level as possibly Rondo or MCW. I would not what them taking the last shot just to answer the call of having a "killer instinct". 

lonzo can shoot, he proved that already, funky release or not....but i wasn't even talking about shooting, i was referring to the fact that he needs to be the one to control the flow of the game and make things happen. not take 1 dribble and get rid of the ball like you're looking for someone else to be the alpha. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

no...that's not why. i take it you didn't watch last nights game. his passiveness was next level. looked like he was literally scared. 

So what is your argument here? One game he was passive all night. OKay! He is a rookie. I don't see the Jamal Murray, Jaylen Brown, Ben Simmons, Josh Jackson threads blowing up like this and they have equally had bad or questionable games. One game. Let's chill here, I know you trying to get your post count up and everything but this is ridiculous. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

So what is your argument here? One game he was passive all night. OKay! He is a rookie. I don't see the Jamal Murray, Jaylen Brown, Ben Simmons, Josh Jackson threads blowing up like this and they have equally had bad or questionable games. One game. Let's chill here, I know you trying to get your post count up and everything but this is ridiculous. 

im actually a big lonzo fan, i'm simply giving constructive criticism. don't know what any of this has to do with "post count" 

26 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Ben Simmons hasn't had a bad game and Lonzo came in overrated so that's why it's blowing up.

Be patient though y'all let the man adjust, although I'm sorry if you wasted a mid round pick on him because he's at best 8th or 9th round value 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lbjames6 said:

I can't think of any reason why he would look up to LeBron...just can't quite put my finger on it. 

isnt it obvious? lebron was the primary superstar in the nba when zo was growing up .. zo is also a pass first player ala lebron. it only makes sense. 

37 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

it's 100% him needing to get comfortable 

I wouldn't say that. He has limitations and defects in his game that he needs to address/fix if he's going to be a good player in this league. No different than most rookies, but safe to say the expectations coming in were out of whack with the reality of his current skillset.