NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lonzo Ball 2017-2018 Season Outlook

2 hours ago, mjk356 said:

Ball's old man will probably spin Lonzo's horrific shooting percentages into something positive.  "Lonzo is revolutionizing the game.  All these guys that came before him made shots.  How damn boring is it when the ball just goes in the basket more than half the time.  Lonzo's just keeping everyone entertained because his bricks lead to fast breaks on the other end or putback dunks for his own team sometimes.  My son's doing things you've never seen before."

Good job. I could hear his voice (have watched too much of sports talk shows).

• Like 2
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If y'all need steals be sure to draft LiAngelo next time

Ball's old man will probably spin Lonzo's horrific shooting percentages into something positive.  "Lonzo is revolutionizing the game.  All these guys that came before him made shots.  How damn boring

I got the gimmick down:   He played 40 minutes. Anybody that plays 40 minutes should get those stats.    He passes all the time. Anyone that passes as much as he does should get th

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mjk356 said:

Ball's old man will probably spin Lonzo's horrific shooting percentages into something positive.  "Lonzo is revolutionizing the game.  All these guys that came before him made shots.  How damn boring is it when the ball just goes in the basket more than half the time.  Lonzo's just keeping everyone entertained because his bricks lead to fast breaks on the other end or putback dunks for his own team sometimes.  My son's doing things you've never seen before."

Nah. What’s more likely is him blaming Laker management/coaches for his sons failure. That’s coming soon. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

I don’t want to be harsh because he seems like a nice young man.  But maybe this whole basketball thing isn’t for him?  I heard petroleum engineering is a stable profession.  Or maybe get a PhD in psychology to help figure out why his father acts the way he does?

Edited by StifleTower2
31 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Nah. What’s more likely is him blaming Laker management/coaches for his sons failure. That’s coming soon. 

Haha, definitely.  Walton is definitely going to be blamed soon.  I could see Lavar Ball saying something like, "Walton's good at working with less talented players like Ingram, Kuzma, and Clarkson.  A generational player like Lonzo needs a higher level of basketball mind to get him to reach his potential."

Edited by mjk356
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Hunter Cat said:

you guys really think he won't put it together? i drafted him in the 60's. might have been a bit of a reach now that i look back.

He will kill you in FG/To and I don’t see that changing.  He may provide 7/7 with 1 three and 1 steal in punt FG builds.  That’s decent but not enough to be top 60 even in punt builds.  In non-punt builds it’s possible he’s a net negative.  No I don’t think he will put it together this year, maybe he will in the future, but I’m not certain.  

Edited by StifleTower2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mjk356 said:

Haha, definitely.  Walton is definitely going to be blamed soon.  I could see Lavar Ball saying something like, "Walton's good at working with less talented players like Ingram, Kuzma, and Clarkson.  A generational player like Lonzo needs a higher level of basketball mind to get him to reach his potential."

:lol: LaVar is already saying "You're not going to make it if you don't take it."  Of course, in Lonzo's case, if you take it you won't make it.  

I have been watching clips of the Lakers.  It is clear that Lonzo has really good court vision and is a really good facilitator early in his NBA career.  However, his shot is horrendous.  He is never set or squared up.  Everything seems to be a toss up to the basket, even from 15 feet out.  His shot selection is low percentage before the ball leaves his hand.  I understand the comparison to Kidd and Rubio because of the low FG% and high assists.  However, they, at least, were attempting higher percentage shots.  They just weren't good shooters.  He is attempting low percentage shots and is a poor shooter.  Thus, he has a historically low FG% early in his career. Hopefully, he works on taking better shots with better technique.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

:lol: LaVar is already saying "You're not going to make it if you don't take it."  Of course, in Lonzo's case, if you take it you won't make it.  

I have been watching clips of the Lakers.  It is clear that Lonzo has really good court vision and is a really good facilitator early in his NBA career.  However, his shot is horrendous.  He is never set or squared up.  Everything seems to be a toss up to the basket, even from 15 feet out.  His shot selection is low percentage before the ball leaves his hand.  I understand the comparison to Kidd and Rubio because of the low FG% and high assists.  However, they, at least, were attempting higher percentage shots.  They just weren't good shooters.  He is attempting low percentage shots and is a poor shooter.  Thus, he has a historically low FG% early in his career. Hopefully, he works on taking better shots with better technique.

He actually takes a lot of lay ups but isn't  passing out enough 

Edited by thrilla1nManila
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That shooting form is somewhat tragic. I don't know.. Bad instructors, whoever let him develop that shot. IMO. I don't know was it LaVar or who that said that they let the Ball brothers develop whatever form that worked, i.e. one that allowed them to make shots constantly. But it's like they didn't account for different scenarios. When you're up against a tough defender or are pushed to pull up from the right hand side etc. I mean it's one thing to make shots uncontested or against average competition, and making them against the best of the best. We'll see.. Dude has just so many other good qualities so it's a shame if the shot will end up being a big hindrance.

16 minutes ago, Deathrow said:

Why so much hate on this kid?  Did he fcuk your girls or something?

He's been bad so far and some people are having a tough time grasping that. So it's led to some contentious back-and-forths that have gotten personal. But yeah, everyone should be able to agree he's been bad and, at best, this is going to take a while. 

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He's been bad so far and some people are having a tough time grasping that. So it's led to some contentious back-and-forths that have gotten personal. But yeah, everyone should be able to agree he's been bad and, at best, this is going to take a while. 

I own the guy and yes he has been bad.  He gives you rebounds and assists but that FG% has been atrocious.  I am hoping in time he can figure it out.  

Also I know his dad talks a lot of sh|t but I have never actually heard Lonzo say anything bad.  He cannot control what his idiot father says, at least not yet but hopefully once he is a bit older he can tell his father (politely of course) to stfp.  

Just now, Deathrow said:

I own the guy and yes he has been bad.  He gives you rebounds and assists but that FG% has been atrocious.  I am hoping in time he can figure it out.  

Also I know his dad talks a lot of sh|t but I have never actually heard Lonzo say anything bad.  He cannot control what his idiot father says, at least not yet but hopefully once he is a bit older he can tell his father (politely of course) to stfp.  

Yeah, that's fair. He actually comes across as a relatively humble kid who just wants to keep his head down and play. I'm sure he'll right the ship to a degree, and still think he'll be a good player in time, just think for people banking on him providing fantasy value this season it's going to be a bumpy ride. 

• Like 1

-14 (Loss)

+1 (Win)

-24 (loss)

+13 (Win)

-15 (Loss)

-19 (Loss)

+8 (Win)

+10 (Loss)

+22 (Win)

+10 (Win)

Overall his +/- is -8 through 10 games. The Lakers are 5-1 win Ball is in the positive of the +/- 

At least that is a good stat for real world basketball. He still can't shoot but he seems to be having a good influence on his team.

14 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

I don’t want to be harsh because he seems like a nice young man.  But maybe this whole basketball thing isn’t for him?  I heard petroleum engineering is a stable profession.  Or maybe get a PhD in psychology to help figure out why his father acts the way he does?

He signed a guaranteed 4 year $33 mil contract. He can retire after 4 years and never have to worry about money for the rest of his life if he is smart with it. He doesn't need to get a job or study or do anything if he doesn't want to, just invest and listen to his dad.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

He signed a guaranteed 4 year $33 mil contract. He can retire after 4 years and never have to worry about money for the rest of his life if he is smart with it. He doesn't need to get a job or study or do anything if he doesn't want to, just invest and listen to his dad.

You’re absolutely correct except for that last part.  I think listenening to his dad is the last thing he should do.  He strikes me as the sort of Dad that would say, “you’re in the nba Bc of me son now you owe me,”

then maybe that 33M won’t last him for life like it could.

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

You’re absolutely correct except for that last part.  I think listenening to his dad is the last thing he should do.  He strikes me as the sort of Dad that would say, “you’re in the nba Bc of me son now you owe me,”

then maybe that 33M won’t last him for life like it could.

Once he starts growing hair on his balls he will probably stand up to his dad. One can only hope at least.

• Like 1

Just saying listen to his dad because this clown came out of nowhere and now every NBA fan knows who he is. He went from a nobody to being all over the sports news world and even getting his own damn show. Now I heard he bought a $5.3 million mansion. I mean, I know he play semi pro football in the late 90s, but you gotta be somewhat smart if you never made millions of dollars and your current net worth is valued at $3 million. Also, before Lonzo made it to the pros it looked like they lived in a house that cost well over a million dollars.

4 hours ago, Aunt Jemima said:

yes

Ball drove to Denver, where I live, and just randomly banged the bejesus out of my girlfriend without even knowing her or having met her.  I've disliked the guy ever since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1