NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juiced Ball Hypothesis

2ndCitySox

2 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

Theres no skill there, just luck that the super bounce ball landed where his bat happened to be. 

Yeah man, absolutely no skill when it comes to hitting a ball that moves down at a random time while spinning quickly and travelling 82.5MPH (133KPH). In fact, I'd argue it's pretty incredible when someone can hit a homerun off a pitch that no one should be hitting a homerun off of.

I've attached an image showing the pitch tracker... I really don't feel like that was such a crazy hit to make. It's like, what? 4 inches off the plate? 6? And it didn't really go all far. Now that I've watched it 4 or 5 times, I'm not all that impressed. 

napoli.jpg

• Like 3

Napoli hits 85% of pitches to center and left. Basically 50% pull hitter. He was sitting offspeed and barreled it up to his strength, which is pull. Power hitters like Napoli like to extend their arms and pull the ball. That is why a lot of times pitchers have to tie up power hitters like Napoli with hard stuff inside and not miss over the plate. 

I get the point you were trying to make. I do not like the amount of home runs being hit. But, the game is most definitely changing so it is a philosophy change with development of players and a juiced ball (and most likely PEDs). I don't understand the appeal of a 13-8 game. I find it more boring than a closely contested game where one base runner and a knock or manufacturing a run can make be critical for a games outcome. But, I got to play baseball beyond high school so I probably watch different things than the casual fan. 

• Like 3

What you describe requires MORE skill. It's called keeping your eye on the ball. Look at some of the balls Vlad used to hit.  Dickerson hit one this year that came off the ground. It's not all just blindly swinging and the ball just happens to hit the bat. If that were the case then that applies to any ball that is hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

He didnt crush anything.  Theres a difference in being just a bit outside and a foot or more off the plate

You never saw Vladimer the Elder hit, did you?

And without more homers this year however they are being produced baseball would be pretty much dead.  Defensive shifts have forced batters to hit with more lift and go for the homers because it is harder and harder to hit 'em where they ain't.  Blame shifts, not the baseball.  Shifts were killing baseball.  I hate and despise 1-0 games.

• Like 1

The ball is barely touching the batters box.

The batters box is 6 inches from the plate.

The ball is ca. 3 inches in diameter

The batter is in a perfect position to hit for power.

Don't see a problem here

Napoli HR (2).jpg

Edited by JCD
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Please...THIS THIS THIS THIS

Jose Ram got absolutely jobbed yesterday. Down 1 run in the top of the 9th. Bases loaded (or runners on first and second) two outs. 2-0 count. Waiting on a meatball but the ball is out of the zone and doesn't swing. Called strike. 2-1 and the ball is about 6 inches even further out of the zone than the first strike..... called strike. Should have been sitting at 3-0 or at worst 3-1. Then he ends up swinging at ball 4 two pitches later because he obviously couldn't leave it up to the ump.

Just gross to watch a good hitter get so shafted in such a crucial spot. 

1 hour ago, JCD said:

The ball is barely touching the batters box.

The batters box is 6 inches from the plate.

The ball is ca. 3 inches in diameter

The batter is in a perfect position to hit for power.

Don't see a problem here

Napoli HR (2).jpg

I hoe you never coach baseball if you think that is the perfect position to hit fir power. Napoli was able to crush it because he is a beast, not because of perfect positioning. 

45 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Jose Ram got absolutely jobbed yesterday. Down 1 run in the top of the 9th. Bases loaded (or runners on first and second) two outs. 2-0 count. Waiting on a meatball but the ball is out of the zone and doesn't swing. Called strike. 2-1 and the ball is about 6 inches even further out of the zone than the first strike..... called strike. Should have been sitting at 3-0 or at worst 3-1. Then he ends up swinging at ball 4 two pitches later because he obviously couldn't leave it up to the ump.

@96mnc

This was the pitch.

Indians down 5-4.
Top of the 9th.
2 outs.
Bases loaded.
2-1 count.

joseram.jpg

That changes the game so much.

• Like 1

Personally, Id like to see the MLB raise the seams again while maintaining the reduced diameter and increased core bounce. I think that would support a healthier balance of increased HR rate league wide(not the same as the last two years, but still better than 2015 and prior) while eliminating a lot of the blister issues that have cropped up with the new balls.

Im also all for a computerized strike zone. Especially given the new environment, pitchers need to get those close calls when a pitch catches even just a fraction of the plate. If not, a 4.00 ERA will quickly become the new 3.00 and everyone outside of the truly elite will continue to suffer pretty badly.

1 hour ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I hoe you never coach baseball if you think that is the perfect position to hit fir power. Napoli was able to crush it because he is a beast, not because of perfect positioning. 

You can hope whatever you want, but there is no other position to hit for power on an outside ball like that, in which case we can conclude, that you do not coach baseball.

If you argue that it is not the perfect position to hit for power on an indide pitch, or on a pitch in the middle of the zone, it is clearly not, and you surely have 'nitpickingitis' with chronic 'arguitis', because you try to argue something that isn't the case here.

10 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

418 feet to left-center. Seriously, like 10-20 rows deep.

If you want to complain about the increased HRs, find a HR that barely cleared the fence or something. This is seriously a terrible example to prove your point. Just because the pitch was outside of the zone doesn't mean that a player can't crush it, like Napoli did here. 

EDIT: Watch for yourselves

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/07/21/1628525983/1500597750088/asset_1800K.mp4

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. Napoli has been murdering left handed pitching for 10 years now. The 2011 season when he went on a binge he was so locked in he was doing this every other night.  Now that was a fun summer to own catcher eligible Napoli.

13 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

Just watched Napoli blindly swing a pitch that is a foot off the plate and PULL it to left field for a HR.  Absolutely ruining the game with these super bounce balls they are using. 

Mike Napoli is going to go from 34 HRs last year to 35 this year. Clearly there is something wrong with the balls.....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

That was a hanging, lifeless curveball left up in the zone by an absolutely horrific pitcher in a bandbox of a park.  Not like he took a 97 mph fastball a foot outside and pulled for a jack.  He barreled up on a hanging F- curveball by a turd.  Lots of hitters would deposit that. 

Agree. That did not stand out to me. Yeah the ball is juiced but that was a hanging curve in a hitters park.

Edited by Dylanfan66
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I always felt that the umps try to extend the count as much as they can, and maybe they're instructed by mlb to do so. I'm not saying it's right, but you notice on a 2-0 or 3-0 count, the next pitch would have to be way outside to call it a ball, or on an 0-2 count, the pitch would have to be straight down the middle to call it a strike, I've even seen obvious no-question strikes called balls on an 0-2. That's why I don't think they wanna go to a robot strike zone, so they can control the count when they need to and fall back on the excuse that it's a "judgement call". Just a theory.

14 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Mike Napoli is going to go from 34 HRs last year to 35 this year. Clearly there is something wrong with the balls.....

they had a stat on sportscenter yesterday where the most HRs in a season by entire league is something like 5500 in 2000, and this year is on Pace to shatter that record at 6100 (not exact numbers just from memory)

Edited by pbjfb