NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dustin Fowler 2017 Outlook

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

^ A "good chance"?  No it is season ending period.  100% season ending.

What a tough break to have that happen in your first major league game.  And these days they usually fly in families to see their kid in their first game.  Must have been horrible for his parents to see it happen in person on what should have been one of the happiest days of his life.

They couldn't make the trip.  They were going to meet up, with him, in Houston

On 6/30/2017 at 2:23 AM, rich22 said:

They couldn't make the trip.  They were going to meet up, with him, in Houston

Wow, that is sad.  I don't know if that makes things better or worse.  Probably worse because they would have wanted to be with him at the hospital.

Well, at least his name will go down in baseball lore forever. Cruel fate to achieve that in your first ML inning.

But... Garrett Richards had the torn patellar tendon and he came back the next year and won 15 games.

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

What are the ramifications on his future? If he's looking at 6 months, how likely is it that he'll be full strength by ST next year? 

i had the same surgery--wouldn't wish it upon even my worst enemies.

He should be good to go by ST, however.

9 hours ago, rich22 said:

What is the usual recovery time and rehabilitation after a repair of the patellar tendon? 

After surgery, athletes are placed in a knee brace that keeps their knee straight. Rehabilitation plans vary based on surgeon preference but most programs allow initiation of active knee flexion and passive extension by two weeks after surgery. At 6 weeks after surgery, athletes can walk without crutches. Usually, a return to athletic activities is delayed until 4-6 months after surgery based on leg strength and range of motion. The rehabilitation for chronic reconstructions is more substantial and prolonged than above.

So a good chance it's season ending

A very good chance its career ending. 

3 hours ago, Jhensy said:

Well, at least his name will go down in baseball lore forever. Cruel fate to achieve that in your first ML inning.

But... Garrett Richards had the torn patellar tendon and he came back the next year and won 15 games.

Good to hear about Garrett Richards making it all the way back.  Don't want Fowler to go down in baseball lore the way that player played by Bert Lancaster in Field of Dreams went down in history.  Don't want to see Fowler in some Field of Dreams sequel.

11 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

yeah, same thing victor cruz and jimmy graham did

i would say there is only a slight chance it's career ending.

huge difference between a football player and a baseball player, at least in terms of this injury.

“Everything is as good as it can be right now,’’ Fowler said. “The surgery went well. That’s always a plus. I’m just going to take it day to day right now. It ruptured but they were able to put it back in place and there wasn’t any other issues so they said it’s going to be a pretty positive recovery. They said I’d be out for about four or five months and then be ready for the spring.’’

Bear in mind he is only 22, and he plays for the team in NY that has the decent medical staff.

Archived