NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

Personally I would not want Clippard on my roster until I was sure he had the job because it would mean a major league manager believes he can get it done. By then he'd probably already be picked up anyway. But if not, then sure, I'd hold my nose and add him. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Personally I would not want Clippard on my roster until I was sure he had the job because it would mean a major league manager believes he can get it done. By then he'd probably already be picked up anyway. But if not, then sure, I'd hold my nose and add him. 

He has the job. His manager said so himself. 

one can pick up Clippard (if they have someone to drop) and not use him in an active spot, then if he shows he can get a save/some saves trade him to someone else that can help your team. as long as saves are a category then any closer has value.

1 hour ago, jamesisharden said:

Barraclough the add then i guess

If they both go, he would seem to be next.  For most of July it's been Barraclough/Phelps (usually Barraclough first, but sometimes he gets the 8th), then Ramos.

4 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

MIGHT, but not sure why.....evil has been about a run lower in ERA and about 3 more k's per/9 than wilson

Fair. For sure a might. But Knebel has been very shaky lately. 10 BBs in his last 7 2/3 IP.  If they acquire Wilson it might be specifically for this reason. 

21 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

action heating up on Marlins closer AJ Ramos. with Phelps gone that means Barraclough would have to be next at closer.

Do you see something imminent? He was originally rumored to be going with Phelps, but it was just Phelps. Is "action heating up" somewhere on Ramos?

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Wilson might close in MIL, but would definitely set up in BOS or HOU.

I've read that the Nats are also in the mix. Would think Wilson had a shot at the 9th there over Madison. 

FWIW...

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports there are three teams "in on" Marlins closer A.J. Ramos.

Miami is just about to trade setup man David Phelps, and Ramos could very well follow him out the door. The 30-year-old right-hander has struggled a bit in 2017, but he boasts a 2.81 career ERA and 10.5 career K/9, and he's racked up 89 saves since the beginning of the 2015 season. Ramos is under control, via arbitration, through 2018.

Jul 20 - 11:18 AM
15 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Latest I've read is we find out tomorrow. Bullpen session yesterday, rest today, see how he feels tomorrow. Feels good, activation is likely.

@Zig Zag, to update what I posted yesterday:

Kela (shoulder) is expected to be activated from the 10-day disabled list Thursday, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports.

Kela didn't experience any issues during his bullpen session Tuesday and had no complications while throwing off flat ground Wednesday either, so it appears the right-hander's health is sound after a sore shoulder sidelined him for about three weeks. Earlier in the week, manager Jeff Banister seemed to dismiss the idea of Kela needing a rehab assignment before being activated, so it appears likely that the 24-year-old will be available out of the bullpen for the Rangers' series finale with the Orioles on Thursday. While Alex Claudio has picked up the Rangers' lone two saves since Matt Bush was removed from the closing role in late June, Claudio is hardly entrenched as the ninth-inning man, so look for Kela to merit consideration for those duties upon returning. Kela was arguably the Rangers' top reliever prior to hitting the DL, compiling a 2.64 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and 42 strikeouts in 30.2 innings.

21 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

So long brach, and thanks for all the fish

Well I may have jumped the gun a bit. Have to hold until we see how this bullpen shakes out after trades. Seems like a real chance Britton gets moved and brach is closer again.