NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

On 7/11/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ben Edelman said:

4 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

His own manager said Clippard would be closing, so ... yeah, go grab Swarzak by all means.

Managers lie occasionally about these things, so I don't think it's totally off-base to speculate on Swarzak ...  I also remember everyone said Madson was the Nats' closer a few days ago and the first save opp went to Doolittle.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, goldbaby11 said:

SO is Fernando Salas suddenly a good add? Who is next up for the Mets? Tell me

Familia might be back in a few weeks. If not, it would either be Blevins or Sewald. Blevins has been struggling mightily lately though. 

Oh isn't great, but he still may be the Cardinals' best option. Every time Rosenthal seems to be getting himself back in position to close games, he struggles like today. 

5 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I think Rondon may be flying under the radar a bit as a stash candidate.  Since he was recalled from the minors, he's had one game where he gave up runs (the 3 ER in 2/3 of an IP on July 8.  Other than that, it's all scoreless appearances.

He's also mostly pitched the 8th, although the usage breakdown earlier in this thread was kinda messy pointing partially to Greene and partially to Rondon.  Still, Wilson seems likely to be dealt, and right now, gun to my head, I'd take Rondon I think to take over the 9th.

I agree. He's been their 8th inning guy leading up to Wilson's save opportunities. Last night for example was a 1 run game. That's a lot of confidence by Ausmus. He's in the same spot Wilson was before they moved on from Frankie. Greene looms though, but they are quick to use him in the 6th, 7th innings, and with men on base. 

8 minutes ago, goldbaby11 said:

SO is Fernando Salas suddenly a good add? Who is next up for the Mets? Tell me

What did I miss? Why is there interest in the Mets next-up?

Just now, pbjfb said:

What did I miss? Why is there interest in the Mets next-up?

Reed's as likely a trade candidate as any of them ... Mets seem likely to sell.  He's been rumored as connected to Boston among others.

6 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Familia might be back in a few weeks. If not, it would either be Blevins or Sewald. Blevins has been struggling mightily lately though. 

Also prior to this season,  Blevins basically was a LOOGY.  He probably still is, but they've extended him more.

I'd bet on Sewald, which is a bet that the Mets trade Reed and that Familia isn't coming back soon.

John Brebbia might be worth a speculative add in St. Louis.  He's been their best reliever the past month or so, and a good minor league track record the past few years.  He's 27 and avoids hard contact.  Doesn't have eye popping K numbers, but has an above average arm.  NOT SAYING he's the guy, but I would consider adding.  Oh, Rosie and Cecil have all had their struggles in the 9th.

Bottom line (IMO):  Rosie is the most talented guy in that pen, but it is pretty wide open.  Maybe, just maybe merit wins the day.

10 minutes ago, Deke said:

Not sure why anyone thinks Rosenthal is the closer. Hasn't had a save since June, and you don't bring in your closer in the 9th of a tie game on the road.

This right here

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Also prior to this season,  Blevins basically was a LOOGY.  He probably still is, but they've extended him more.

I'd bet on Sewald, which is a bet that the Mets trade Reed and that Familia isn't coming back soon.

Yup, Blevins basically started struggling once he was moved from LOOGY to being placed in the eight inning role. 

3 minutes ago, scoh123 said:

This right here

Rosie hadn't pitched in 4 days so Matheny might of thought he could go multiple innings. People thought Rosie would be next line in line to close because.....the manager said he was next in line to close. That probably goes out the window with today's performance though. 

6 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Keola activated from the DL.  Has to assume closer duties, right?

idk. yesterday I actually owned all of them . i owned Leclerc, Kela, Bush, Claudio. Now I own only Kela and Claudio.  I think Kela will get the first shot.

but idk if he has any leash whatsoever. Claudio is more than capable. I think Bush and Leclric are out of the running completely. 

Edited by goldbaby11
3 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Rosie hadn't pitched in 4 days so Matheny might of thought he could go multiple innings. People thought Rosie would be next line in line to close because.....the manager said he was next in line to close. That probably goes out the window with today's performance though. 

My guess is that Rosie was already warming while Cecil was blowing the save in the 8th.  Rosie doesn't seem like a sit up sit down reliever so Matheny brought him in anyway.

6 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

is Givens the guy to own for BAL?

Givens is a dude, but you need 2-3 guys ahead of him to be traded.  To me that seems somewhat unlikely, though Baltimore should be selling.  

I think Britton, Brach, and O'Day have to go to get Givens a shot.

27 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

His own manager said Clippard would be closing, so ... yeah, go grab Swarzak by all means.

have you seen clippard this year?....i will set his number of closing opps before he loses the gig at >>>>>> 

over 3.5 = (+115)

under 3.5 = (-120)

8 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Keola activated from the DL.  Has to assume closer duties, right?

I would be surprised if they just threw him into the role right off the DL. This isn't an established closer we're talking about . He has two career saves. I'm thinking he at least needs a couple clean innings before he gets a crack to close. In the short term I feels like it's a committee but I think he'll separate himself and become the guy in a few weeks time.

Edited by fletch44
32 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Oh isn't great, but he still may be the Cardinals' best option. Every time Rosenthal seems to be getting himself back in position to close games, he struggles like today. 

That's exactly what Big Bat Theory said 9 pages ago

15 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Givens is a dude, but you need 2-3 guys ahead of him to be traded.  To me that seems somewhat unlikely, though Baltimore should be selling.  

I think Britton, Brach, and O'Day have to go to get Givens a shot.

I could see O'day staying in MR if the top 2 go.

2 minutes ago, Piotr said:

I missed it, but obviously I agree with him. 

No worries.  I should've cited his post, it was pretty funny, to me anyway, because it's true. TEX STL & WASH been nothing short of maddening for closer vultures this year lol...

Big Bat Theory

No Rosenthal won't end up the StL closer.  Not long term anyway.  He always finds a way to mess himself up.  (He must also lead these closer threads in predictions at his promotion each and every single month this season.  We are up to the boy who cried wolf status on him at this point).  Whatever he has recently "fixed" in his delivery will go all wonky within weeks.  It always does.  At which point Oh will be suddenly pitching well again and they flip flop again.  Second option, Cecil sneaks in and implodes like he did in Toronto.  Sane option, Cards go get Dave Robertson.

1 hour ago, Hangry Bird said:

So why hold them lol? To torture yourself?  go grab Swarzak and call it a day

I'll make this simple. Swarzak and other's like him are already owned in my league.It's a deep league. Every 7th-9th inning guy is owned in the league and it's just a saves league. I'm not really complaining about my team, heck I don't want them to trade for a closer, but the Cardinals are still in the thick of things and I think they really should go out and get someone they can trust. I made the post because while we are trying to figure out the Cardinals situation I think the answer isn't even on the team right now. 

20 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Clippard was actually good until mid June then the wheels fell off 

Also, Relievers can get away with putting guys on base if they have a high K rate. 

Half the equation..the other half is avoiding big hits.  Keeping it in the ball park is what separates Knebel/Beteances from the Neil Ramirez's of the world