NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felipe Rivero owners: are you considering selling high right now? With all of these rumors of him heading to the Dodgers I'm worried about him losing his closing role there. I know hes one of the best relievers in the MLB right now but he's not going to take Jansens role there. Am I overthinking it?

10 minutes ago, Nickdoggmoneycash said:

Felipe Rivero owners: are you considering selling high right now? With all of these rumors of him heading to the Dodgers I'm worried about him losing his closing role there. I know hes one of the best relievers in the MLB right now but he's not going to take Jansens role there. Am I overthinking it?

if you are playing in a knowledgeable league, nobody is selling high on rivero right now because of the dodger rumors.....

13 minutes ago, Nickdoggmoneycash said:

Who's going to buy him? If you're selling high because he might get traded to LAD, who's going to buy him? I would just hold and hope for the best. 

Don't forget Joe Jimenez in Detroit, he's been putting up eye-popping numbers in AAA and is almost certain to come up when Wilson is traded. I don't expect him to get the first crack, but if he outpitches Rondon and Greene—hardly a Herculean task—he could take the role quickly.

Initially I do think it will be a "committee" with Rondon and Greene both getting opps. I don't trust either guy, but I'd lean Rondon at the moment.

Oh did nothing to show he should be put back in the closer role, giving up an unearned run on two singles and an error. He struck out one, but the other two runs came on a fly ball to the warning track and a hard-hit grounder to third. 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2017/07/17/dodgers-trade-rumors-mlb-felipe-rivero-pirates-trading-deadline-alex-verdugo-willie-calhoun/stories/201707170158

The rumors of Rivero to the Dodgers don't make any sense for the Pirates. He is under team control through 2022. More importantly, the Pirates just finished a four-game sweep of the Brewers to move within three games of first place in the NL Central. It would be one hell of a middle finger to the fans to trade Rivero away for prospects at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Oh did nothing to show he should be put back in the closer role, giving up an unearned run on two singles and an error. He struck out one, but the other two runs came on a fly ball to the warning track and a hard-hit grounder to third. 

My bet would be Rosie gets the next save chance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Save opp for Texas. Claudio pitched the bottom of the 9th in a tie game with Ramos/Miller/Beckham due up, so doesn't seem to be a matchups situation. But! After Texas scored in the 10th to make it 4-3, Claudio is staying in to pitch the 10th. Not sure if Kela is warming.

Claudio converts the 2 inning save.   With Bush and Kela (and even Leclerc to an extent) having much more of a "typical closer" profile, it's odd that Claudio has emerged, but sometimes it just takes a couple of games to win the manager's trust, and poof, you're a closer.  Saves come from the weirdest places sometimes...

Edited by swingbatter
7 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Claudio converts the 2 inning save.   With Bush and Kela (and even Leclerc to an extent) having much more of a "typical closer" profile, it's odd that Claudio has emerged, but sometimes it just takes a couple of games to win the manager's trust, and poof, you're a closer.  Saves come from the weirdest places sometimes...

you are confused, he did not get a save

13 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

you are confused, he did not get a save

sorry, you are right, he did not get a save, but he stayed in for a second inning after the rangers took a lead, denying kela, bush or leclerc from a save opp.  my bad, it's been a long week hahaha.

22 minutes ago, tyrone biggums said:

What happened to Reed tonight? 

He came in for the 5-out save, gave up a walk and a hit, so they brought in Blevins who completed the perfect 5-out save

why would the Mets bring in Reed for a 5 out save? and then why would the replace him after only giving up 1hit and 1 walk?

I guess Blevins is next once Reed is traded?

4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

why would the Mets bring in Reed for a 5 out save? and then why would the replace him after only giving up 1hit and 1 walk?

I guess Blevins is next once Reed is traded?

I think maybe because he had already pitched 2 nights in a row and maybe he was supposed to only pitch the 8th tonight and then when he gave up the 2, they decided to bring in Blevins.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Didn't think they'd toss Kela back into the fire immediately.

Though Claudio hasn't given them reason to

Not sure why they didn't really, but maybe that's partially because I own Kela and was disappointed when I saw they won 4-3 and he didn't pitch.

Don't get me wrong.  Claudio has pitched good, but Kela could be one hell of a closer if given that chance, and it would suck if the only reason he isn't for the rest of the season is because he got hurt.