NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Welcome back, Kela. Should be an excellent closer ROS.

Claudio's been lights out recently and has served as the closer for about a week and a half now. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to Kela next save opp but also wouldn't be surprised if Bannister just sticks with what's working and leaves Claudio in the role. 

7 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

why would the Mets bring in Reed for a 5 out save? and then why would the replace him after only giving up 1hit and 1 walk?

I guess Blevins is next once Reed is traded?

Mets see Reed being healthy and can't stand it.  Will have him pitch as much as possible until he is no longer healthy and has no trade value

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Mets see Reed being healthy and can't stand it.  Will have him pitch as much as possible until he is no longer healthy and has no trade value

FWIW the bases were loaded in the 8th when they brought Reed in, so it was a pretty high leverage situation, but that likely speaks to the lack of depth of their bullpen more than anything. 

But agreed, it seems like Reed is always coming in for 1+ innings and it's like they want to break him. 

Barraclough is the top stash right now. 

Ramos is definitely getting traded. Looks like Barraclough will take over. Barraclough has closer stuff but he walks a lot of guys, and just completely loses the strike zone some nights. Carlos Marmol-esque. 

Junichi Tazawa has thrown 10 straight scoreless innings and pitched the 7th last night. I don't think Tazawa is an option because, if I remember correctly, he said he didn't like closing when he was in Boston. Quite frankly, I don't think he's that good anyway despite the nice July. It's also possible he gets traded, as well. 

Nick Wittgren hit a rough patch, but he has decent peripherals and closing experience in the minors.

Also, I don't know if Brad Ziegler will return from injury, but anything is possible later on in the year. Not gonna get many K's with him and he was awful earlier this year, but that's been partially due to bad luck looking at peripherals. He's been consistent throughout his whole career except for this year with closing experience in Arizona. If he can get it together, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Marlins to get him some saves late in the season and maybe increase his value for a potential offseason trade (assuming Barraclough doesn't get the job done beforehand, which he might). 

Brian Ellington throws 100, but can't throw strikes and his secondary pitches stink. Drew Steckenrider has a good fastball too, but secondary pitches are also bad. Jarlin Garcia has been solid in his role as the lone left-handed reliever in the pen and will likely never see a save opportunity. 

That's pretty much what's going on in the Marlins pen. Stash Barraclough before Ramos gets traded and see what happens. 

So just trying to clarify what happened in the Nats game based on the Box.  Madson came in to face the bottom of the lineup in a tie-game, then Enny Romero blew it in the ninth against the top of the order right?

1 minute ago, Baur10 said:

So just trying to clarify what happened in the Nats game based on the Box.  Madson came in to face the bottom of the lineup in a tie-game, then Enny Romero blew it in the ninth against the top of the order right?

Looks like it.  No idea why Madson isnt the 9th inning guy at this point. 

Just now, jdbob11 said:

Surprising I agree, but it looks like it's Doolittle for now.  Probably good from a fantasy POV with that K/9 of around 13 but also more likely to blow a few.  Guess we'll see.

7 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

This line of thought is similar to earlier in the year w the A's. Madson was decent closing last year , but the A's went with a Casilla Doolittle committee and then Casilla only when Doolittle hit the DL.  

Come to find out later the Madson reportedly stated that he preferred not to pitch the ninth. This seems like this could be true, seeing that madson has been used again in pre-9th inning leverage with the nationals .  

The nats closer ROS may not even be on the roster yet, but madson is very unlikely to be it.... maybe just because he prefers not to be closing / is more effective outside the 9th.

Baker hinted yesterday about limiting Doolittle's workload and playing matchups. If Madson got out of it in order last night, Doolittle was set to face Peralta and Lamb, both LH, FWIW.

“I’ve been told that you have to watch Doolittle’s arm because when he hurts it, he usually goes on the DL and is down for a while. So right now I don’t know,” Baker said. “I’ve also been told that Doolittle gets left-handers out exceptionally well, but you have to be aware of a fastball-hitting right-hander. But both of them get right- and left-handers out."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/07/21/what-does-sean-doolittle-bring-to-nationals-bullpen/?utm_term=.65bc0f87e777

Trade likelihood: Johnson, Ramos, Wilson, Maurer, Reed, Britton?

Vizcaino probably available.

Barraclough prob not available. 

Rondon probably available.

Hand prob not available.

Mets guy definitely available.

O's guys prob not available.

Missing anything?

15 minutes ago, Ultraa said:

Trade likelihood: Johnson, Ramos, Wilson, Maurer, Reed, Britton?

Vizcaino probably available.

Barraclough prob not available. 

Rondon probably available.

Hand prob not available.

Mets guy definitely available.

O's guys prob not available.

Missing anything?

I don't think Vizcaino is available.

2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

FWIW the bases were loaded in the 8th when they brought Reed in, so it was a pretty high leverage situation, but that likely speaks to the lack of depth of their bullpen more than anything. 

But agreed, it seems like Reed is always coming in for 1+ innings and it's like they want to break him. 

It didn't seem like were planning to use Reed for a 5 out safe.  Blevins continued to stay up warming.  Right away Ron Darling said Reed probably just in for 2 batters then Blevins comes in to face the lefty.  Maybe if Reed got 2 quick outs, he would have started the 9th, up 4 runs

Edited by rich22
2 hours ago, 9703 said:

While you are definitely right that he will likely be the closer once Ramos gets traded, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole given how bad his WHIP is.  I don't care how many K's he had last year or how many saves he gets, it won't be worth it with the way he's pitched this season.

6 hours ago, 9703 said:

Ramos is definitely getting traded. Looks like Barraclough will take over. Barraclough has closer stuff but he walks a lot of guys, and just completely loses the strike zone some nights. Carlos Marmol-esque. 

Junichi Tazawa has thrown 10 straight scoreless innings and pitched the 7th last night. I don't think Tazawa is an option because, if I remember correctly, he said he didn't like closing when he was in Boston. Quite frankly, I don't think he's that good anyway despite the nice July. It's also possible he gets traded, as well. 

Nick Wittgren hit a rough patch, but he has decent peripherals and closing experience in the minors.

Also, I don't know if Brad Ziegler will return from injury, but anything is possible later on in the year. Not gonna get many K's with him and he was awful earlier this year, but that's been partially due to bad luck looking at peripherals. He's been consistent throughout his whole career except for this year with closing experience in Arizona. If he can get it together, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Marlins to get him some saves late in the season and maybe increase his value for a potential offseason trade (assuming Barraclough doesn't get the job done beforehand, which he might). 

Brian Ellington throws 100, but can't throw strikes and his secondary pitches stink. Drew Steckenrider has a good fastball too, but secondary pitches are also bad. Jarlin Garcia has been solid in his role as the lone left-handed reliever in the pen and will likely never see a save opportunity. 

That's pretty much what's going on in the Marlins pen. Stash Barraclough before Ramos gets traded and see what happens. 

Drew Steckenrider, Miami Marlins AAA, ETA: July

Marlins should be sellers at the trade deadline and could move a number of players including Yelich and Ozuna. Plenty of teams will be looking for relief pitching which makes Drew Steckenrider a call up option in July. He has an elite fastball that touches 97 and a slider he mixes in. He is currently in AAA, after a brief MLB stint, and is tearing it up with 39 strikeouts in 29.1 Innings. He also has a 1.53 ERA, a BAA of .131 and a 0.72 whip.