NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, lipitorkid said:

Brad's evil twin Bad Brach causing lots of trouble in the 9th vs. Houston. 

Actually it wasn't that bad. I thought he was in with a lead. He was already down two runs before coming in and an error gets rid of one of the earned runs. 

5 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

Snakes are a pretty good team, I'm happy with the result, I'm sure Dusty is too as well though he probably had to chew some extra toothpicks in the dugout tonight

No doubt. And he's a stud. Doesn't change the fact that he did begin with a leadoff walk, again, and give up a couple of loud outs. It was shaky. 

Doolittle and Holland owner here; watched both 9th innings. 

Holland: Very, very nit-picky tonight as usual. Couldn't close guys out, but also wasn't getting the close calls I'd say he usually gets. One hard hit ball in the inning (Freese); Marte's RBI single was an infield dribbler that went 10 feet, but Story had no play. Holland hasn't thrown 30+ pitches since May 10th, 2015 so he will absolutely not be available tomorrow. 

Doolittle: Walked the first batter. Next batter was an easy broken bat double play ball that Rendon chucked into right field. After that, his fast ball went from 94 to 97 consistently. Next up Goldschmidt, who hit a foul ball possibly 500 feet and then flew out to right almost to warning track. Then Owings who flew out to right to the warning track. Then Ketel Marte was completely overmatched, struck out on 4 pitches. 

50 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Did you watch? Had out some loud outs. Goldy hit one 3rd deck that went foul. Then Lamb to the warning track. All after another outing that started with a leadoff walk. You sound like a box score watcher lol

Yeah I watched and the announcers also noted that Doolittle is a flyball pitcher so he did exactly what he wanted to there. 2 fly balls and a strikeout.

2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Diaz is a very average closer. 

FB command is pretty poor. 

He looks like a young pitcher - great stuff, no command. Once he figures out how to command his pitches, he'll be great. Aroldis Chapman's a good example - came into the league firing the ball 105 but all over the place. Toned it back, started hitting corners and became a lot better.

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Definitely didn't get the fastball far enough inside on the game-tying hit tonight, though I didn't like the pitch selection. No way he should be throwing a strike with a 1-2 count there. 

2 hours ago, mannymachado said:

Ya kela is a drop folks,  nothing to see.

Most guys coming off the DL won't be thrown right back in as closer. *Most managers ease them back into that role....So what exactly did you expect, for him to come off the DL,  be put back in as closer, and strike out 3?

7 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Bad Luck on two calls that were strikes and should have been called as such were balls on the guy he walked.  Torreyes got lucky and threw his bat at a ball to just tip it foul before lacing a single to left.  Could have been better than the final outcome.

16 minutes ago, KTOWNRACER said:

Bad Luck on two calls that were strikes and should have been called as such were balls on the guy he walked.  Torreyes got lucky and threw his bat at a ball to just tip it foul before lacing a single to left.  Could have been better than the final outcome.

They looked like balls to me. 

8 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Most guys coming off the DL won't be thrown right back in as closer. *Most managers ease them back into that role....So what exactly did you expect, for him to come off the DL,  be put back in as closer, and strike out 3?

Claudio had pitched two inning the day before so that may have left some wondering why Kela didn't go in for the save. And as it was Claudio pitched another 1.1 innings to get the save. I'm thinking what we saw last night is what will happen MOST night when the game is on the line . LeClerc-Kela- Claudio . Possible Bush gets in there along the way depending on the usage of the three.

48 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Claudio had pitched two inning the day before so that may have left some wondering why Kela didn't go in for the save. And as it was Claudio pitched another 1.1 innings to get the save. I'm thinking what we saw last night is what will happen MOST night when the game is on the line . LeClerc-Kela- Claudio . Possible Bush gets in there along the way depending on the usage of the three.

From what i can read they are just going to go very slowly to bringing Kela back to the role of closer. He can't pitch consecutive nights right now either. THey are just going to be very conservative with him for a while. But seems like it will eventually be his job.

I dropped him for Claudio and hoping i can pick up Kela when it sees like he is going to go back into the role.  

5 minutes ago, motown magic said:

The way Claudio is getting it done it may be too late for Kela . Kela didn't have the job . Getting hurt at the wrong time .

true, thats very possible...

3 minutes ago, Stutin said:

Can Barraclough be trusted? I read he was third in strikeouts last year, but has regressed in strikeout rate this year and is having command issues now. 

good article on him 

http://riveraveblues.com/tag/kyle-barraclough/

Hate the high BB guys. That said, he's almost certainly "the guy." 

"Claw would be easy to put there for me," said Mattingly. "Out of our guys who've had success, I think Claw's that guy."

To me he has enough of a track record to suggest he can be relatively successful. That said, best case might be if he gets the job, you immediately trade him to Ramos owner, or another owner who recently lost a closer. 

For what it's worth, while Barraclough has a history of terrible BB rate, he also has a history of being difficult to hit. Not just the K's (which are good despite being down this year), but just in general. In his big league career, he's done a terrific job of limiting the long ball, which is important. In the minors too, he didn't allow home runs. 

His slider is so good that he has no platoon split. If anything, he's been tougher on lefties than righties.

I'm a Marlins fan and have been watching these guys for years. While I have doubts like many of you because of the walks, Barraclough certainly has the stuff. A case could also be made that, while he'll never have great control, maybe his walk rate this year is a little deceiving. He had a tough month of May (12 BB's in 10.2 innings). Take away May and his BB rate is basically Ramos-esque. Ramos is another guy who walks a lot of hitters, but he's been successful in the closer's role since he took over a couple of years ago.

Ideally, you don't want a closer who walks a ton of guys, but sometimes stuff can help negate that. 

As a fan of the team, my personal opinion is that I like Barraclough in the middle innings to get out of jams and Wittgren closing. But it'll be Barraclough who gets the first shot. All in all, Claw's been a good reliever since he came up to the big leagues even if he's a bit frustrating sometimes. 

Edit: As a fan of the team, I'd actually like Barraclough traded for a couple of really good minor leaguers, but that probably won't happen either lol. 

Edited by 9703

So would you guys rather own Claw or Claudio? Seems like the classic debate of the guy who has the job vs the guy who will. I don't trust Claudio to hold the Rangers job all season and Claw is clearly next in line for Miami.

Edited by bradwatson
1 minute ago, bradwatson said:

So would you guys rather own Claw or Claudio? Seems like the classic debate of the guy who has the job vs the guy who will. I don't trust Claudio to hold the Rangers job all season and Claw is clearly next in line for Miami.

I would rather own Claw because of the K's and lack of platoon split.

Claudio is doing well thus far, but righties are hitting .288/.341/.415 against him career wise. It's not much better this year (.278/.321/.405). I think that's more worrisome than walks, especially since most of the hitters he'll be facing in the closer role are going to be right-handed. 

4 hours ago, motown magic said:

The way Claudio is getting it done it may be too late for Kela . Kela didn't have the job . Getting hurt at the wrong time .

Disagree, GB non-K closers very rarely work. Remember Sam Dyson earlier this year?

Claudio will start to struggle at some point and KK will be there to put out the fire.

6 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Disagree, GB non-K closers very rarely work. Remember Sam Dyson earlier this year?

Claudio will start to struggle at some point and KK will be there to put out the fire.

ahh yes, exactly like claudio did to clean up KK's mess last night.....lol

I kinda liked Leclerc the most out of all them. 42K:18BB in 28IP on the year, but didn't seem to get much chance to pitch in the last month (only 8IP).

5 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I kinda liked Leclerc the most out of all them. 42K:18BB in 28IP on the year, but didn't seem to get much chance to pitch in the last month (only 8IP).

he has the same shot as being closer as hitting runner runner flush.....