NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, mannymachado said:

Ahhhhhhhh still nothing on kela! Save opp blown so we still won't know who's closing.

Apparently yes we might if we read the page before your post.  See below.

8 hours ago, B&F said:

RE: Kela Kela (biceps) is unlikely to be available out of the bullpen Saturday, but is expected to assume the role of closer upon his return Stefan Stevenson of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram reports. Kela received treatment for biceps tendinitis following Friday's game and has not pitched for the team since Tuesday. Although it would come as a shock if he played Saturday, it appears as though the 24-year-old will be the closer for the Rangers once he is ready to go. In the meantime, the club is going to take a closer-by-commitee approach with Matt Bush losing his role following his fifth blown save of the year in Friday's loss to the White Sox.

5 hours ago, Stutin said:

Can Dyson be trusted? he could run with the closer job if Melancon has more than a bad elbow i think. or can i play him knowing my era wont get destroyed.

Huh?  What closer will never at some time destroy your ERA?  That seems to be what they are born to do.  Mess with your fantasy team.  They have a secret cabel where they meet and plot out whose fantasy teams will be destroyed in any given week.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
23 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Kela to the DL retroactive to June 30th. 

Thought about dropping, but I figure if he's the closer when he's back, I might as well hold

Cool.  Off to the DL and in the meantime it gives us all an empty slot for Tommy Kahnle while Robertson is on paternity leave.  Baseball always works things out that way.

25 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Kela to the DL retroactive to June 30th. 

Thought about dropping, but I figure if he's the closer when he's back, I might as well hold

Is Kela that locked into the role that he's the guy when he comes back ? It still feels pretty open to me. If LeClerc or someone else picks up a couple saves in Kela absence, I don't know that Kela is necessarily the guy when he comes back.

5 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Is Kela that locked into the role that he's the guy when he comes back ? It still feels pretty open to me. If LeClerc or someone else picks up a couple saves in Kela absence, I don't know that Kela is necessarily the guy when he comes back.

LeCrerc just blew the game yesterday. 

Any word on how long Kela might actually be out?    I mean he hasn't pitched in 6 games, so technically could come back later this week (although guessing they'd hold him out til after the All-Star break either way)  But already got like 5 other guys on my DL that I can't drop right now, so if it's a week thing, it's probably worth the hold, if it's a 3-4 week thing, I'd probably just cut the cord......

1 hour ago, TheChamp said:

Any word on how long Kela might actually be out?    I mean he hasn't pitched in 6 games, so technically could come back later this week (although guessing they'd hold him out til after the All-Star break either way)  But already got like 5 other guys on my DL that I can't drop right now, so if it's a week thing, it's probably worth the hold, if it's a 3-4 week thing, I'd probably just cut the cord......

I think you can only date it back 3 days now, it used to be 5.   Its dated back to June 30, so the minimum  is another week

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

This is just hilarious 

I don't remember seeing another bullpen this bad in a long time.  This whole situation is reviving the value of an actual closer on the market.

You've got to be bleepin me

The funny thing is, the Nats don't even have that many blown saves per the definition of the statistic; they aren't even near the league leaders as a team (that would be the Rangers with 17).

But when the Nats do blow saves they blow them in entertaining fashion.