July Closer Thread 2017

Beakman

Just now, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

How would you rate the following based on saves only:

ziegler

yates

treinan

clippard

i think many of us have similar questions!

Personally I go

Ziegler

Treinen

Yates

Clippers

In order of opportunity. Ziegler and Treinen basically interchangeable to me until we see more.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

As an Oh, Johnson and Wilson owner should I be panicking? I want to grab Greene but should I be targeting Vizcaino as well now? 

no.

The time for panic has come and gone. And yes you should grab those guys and anyone else you can.

44 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

no.

The time for panic has come and gone. And yes you should grab those guys and anyone else you can.

This.

On another note, Kela a lost cause in Texas? Claudio appears to have run away with it but can he sustain it?

4 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

This.

On another note, Kela a lost cause in Texas? Claudio appears to have run away with it but can he sustain it?

Even if Claudio falters it seemed like Texas wanted to put Kela on the block. He did have some attitude issues earlier in the year. I wonder if they've basically given up on him.

1 hour ago, Ragnaroker said:

Even if Claudio falters it seemed like Texas wanted to put Kela on the block. He did have some attitude issues earlier in the year. I wonder if they've basically given up on him.

The way the Rangers have been, Claudio won't have a chance to falter because he never gets much of any save opportunities.  His last save was 8 days ago, and they haven't even been anywhere near creating a save situation for him since.

4 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

Is Treinen looking to overtake Casilla? Has it already happened?

Treinen was used in the last save situation but apparently hasn't become the new official closer.

Anyways, Treinen isn't reliable either.  There's some chatter Dull could be given the chance to close when he's healthy.

Just now, crookedmacs said:

Correct

I hate when you get a gem of a closer off the wire earlier in the season and then he's back to being irrelevant.  This is exactly why I never draft closers and just wait till someone either blows a chance or gets traded lol

37 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Obviously this is a tough question but For dynasty owners is there a need to hang on to Justin Wilson for 2018? 

Rotoworld blurb says Davis is a free agent after the season and Cubs could view Wilson as a closing option if they can't resign Davis. 

Yes.

Hold onto him. High-octane Cubs team, impending POSSIBLE Davis departure. I hold him. He could be gold on a Cubs team as closer in '18. Since he's under control for the '18 season and with Cubs impending SP free agent signing ( Arrieta likely to depart ) Cubs will probably invest in SP rather than re-sign Davis to a mega-contract.  Speculation of course, but regardless, I would certainly hold him in a dynasty format.

Hey everyone. Just a late night reminder. I don't want to have to post the big long reminder of what this thread is for so I'll just say this. 

For this next 24 hours there will be lots of posts in this thread. If you can make sure that each one of your posts either has a comment backed up with some facts, or a quote from a baseball writer, manager etc... or you have a specific question, that would be really helpful. Let's try and limit the venting, game day discussion, what a trade has done to your team posts, to zero for the next day or so. We are all guilty of coming in here and venting or celebrating, the life of chasing saves is a hard one, but let's keep the ship lean while we search for the latest and most crucial trade deadline closer info. 

Thanks. 

For those keeping an eye on the Padres' situation if Hand is dealt, here are some interesting comments regarding Yates/Maton from SD manager Andy Green (regarding Saturday's save attempt for Yates):

It might turn out differently next time Hand isn’t available – for whatever reason.

“Honestly the way the game played out kind of dictated the decision-making,” Green said. “We got in such a dicey situation in the ninth and Phil was the only guy out of those two that was going to be good with going one-plus with Yates having thrown (Friday). At that point in time, that out in the seventh becomes more important than who's throwing in the ninth. If it had been a toss-up, I honestly might have gone the other way just as easily – not because I don't have confidence in Kirby, but because I have just as much in Phil. That could have gone the other way.”

Greene is the obvious grab right now for the Tigers with Wilson gone, but get ready to pounce on Jimenez, assuming he gets the call. 

1.44 ERA in 25 AAA innings. 12.96 K/9. Closer of the future. 

Wasn't great on his first call, but only 4.1 IP. Wouldn't be shocked if the Tigers want to see what they have and Ausmus gives him the gig. 

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Greene is the obvious grab right now for the Tigers with Wilson gone, but get ready to pounce on Jimenez, assuming he gets the call. 

1.44 ERA in 25 AAA innings. 12.96 K/9. Closer of the future. 

Wasn't great on his first call, but only 4.1 IP. Wouldn't be shocked if the Tigers want to see what they have and Ausmus gives him the gig. 

I admit that Jimenez is tearing up AAA, but the problem is that he isn't even the current closer on the Toledo team.  Edward Mujica is the closer.  So are the Tigers going to call up Jimenez to close for him when he isn't even the closer in the minors?  I think they call him up and he pitches the 7th or 8th for 2017.

12 hours ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

How would you rate the following based on saves only:

ziegler

yates

treinan

clippard

i think many of us have similar questions!

For today...

Greene 

Ziegler 

Treinen

Yates

Clippard

Braves appear to be moving away from Jim Johnson if by some chance Vizcaino is available.  

Also would throw David Hernandez in the mix too.  Bud Norris probably won't get traded after his recent meltdowns, but something seems off (injury maybe).  He's walked as many the past 3 games as he did the previous 2 months.  

9 minutes ago, Short Porch said:

I admit that Jimenez is tearing up AAA, but the problem is that he isn't even the current closer on the Toledo team.  Edward Mujica is the closer.  So are the Tigers going to call up Jimenez to close for him when he isn't even the closer in the minors?  I think they call him up and he pitches the 7th or 8th for 2017.

Brad Ausmus kept throwing Rondon in the 8th despite his ERA bouncing between 10 & 12. Just saying. He likes "closer of the future" guys.