NBC Sports Edge Forums

July Closer Thread 2017

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

if Norris is not traded by LA is he at risk to lose to the job in LA? he hasn't been that good. if so who is next, Hernandez or Bedrosian?

There's so much noise out there right now, it's hard to separate fact from fiction, but I listen to every Angel's game on the radio AT BAT app and the radio team and Mike Scioscia are worried that Cam's not the same since his DL stint.(Based on his velocity being down and  He was almost unhittable before the groin pull. Mike could turn to Cam since Cam was the closer before the injury and Mike's that kinda guy, BUT they also don't want him aggravating any injury so I doubt Mike wants Cam to pitch a lot of back to back to back games. 

My guess is Mike goes with Hernandez (former closer) or it's a true committee the ROS. And they may want to see if Blake Parker can handle the mental aspect of closing before they head into 2018. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Dugout Legend said:

Yes.

Hold onto him. High-octane Cubs team, impending POSSIBLE Davis departure. I hold him. He could be gold on a Cubs team as closer in '18. Since he's under control for the '18 season and with Cubs impending SP free agent signing ( Arrieta likely to depart ) Cubs will probably invest in SP rather than re-sign Davis to a mega-contract.  Speculation of course, but regardless, I would certainly hold him in a dynasty format.

CJ Edwards says hi

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Yeah I mean until Familia comes back 

People are still holding Familia? 

He may come back in August here. At what point will he be able to go back to back days? You don't think they'll ease him back with nothing to play for? 

Familia will be closing...in 2018. Ramos should be solid ROS.

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

People are still holding Familia? 

He may come back in August here. At what point will he be able to go back to back days? You don't think they'll ease him back with nothing to play for? 

Familia will be closing...in 2018. Ramos should be solid ROS.

I'm holding Familia. I think he'll take over at some point over the next month. We'll see.

For those of you looking for next in line information here is a list of places that list bullpen depth charts: 

Closer Monkey

Fangraphs Bullpen Report

ESPN Closer Chart (not updated as often as the ones above and doesn't have comments like the ones above, but still useful as an additional source)

Fantasy Pros Closer Report

CBS Sports RP Depth Charts

Oh and duh, the RotoWorld Saves and Steals aka Call To The Bullpen is a must read/resource updated every week. 

There are more and let's not start a big discussion of which source is best, (we can do this after the season) but if you have a who's next in line, take at look at these first and then if you disagree with them, post your disagreement with a reason why or ask a pointed question for clarification of rankings. Thanks. 

Edited by lipitorkid
Added details

Braves' Jim Johnson: No longer primary closer

1 hr ago | by RotoWire Staff

Johnson will share closing duties with Arodys Vizcaino going forward, Michael Cunningham of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. "Probably mix and match maybe and see where we are at in the (opposing) lineups and things like that, and give some (other) guys a chance," Braves manager Brian Snitker said after Sunday's game.

Snitker's announcement comes one day after Johnson blew his eighth save of the year, but the decision likely has as much to do with the rebuilding Braves looking to the future as it does the veteran reliever's actual performance. Johnson's 4.19 ERA does reflect some bad luck as compared to his 2.92 FIP, and he won't be out of the ninth-inning mix entirely, but in fantasy formats where every save isn't necessarily precious it might be time to consider other options in his roster spot.

Braves' Arodys Vizcaino: Would have closed Sunday

19 hrs ago | by RotoWire Staff

Manager Brian Snitker said that Vizcaino would have been used for a save situation Sunday, Kevin McAlpin of 680 The Fan reports.

Despite the exciting news, Kevin McAlpin of 680 The Fan also reports that the Braves intend to "mix and match" ninth-inning opportunities in the coming days, so it doesn't seem like Vizcaino is the lone closer for Atlanta. That being said, Jim Johnson was used in the eighth inning of Sunday's contest while Vizcaino was available out of the bullpen, so it could make for a changing of the guard. The 26-year-old's performance certainly warrants a promotion, as he holds a 2.63 ERA and a 9.8 K/9 on the season.

Interesting info...

2 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Why are the Braves saying Johnson and Vizcaino will split duties? Sounds to me like they're not making much of an effort to trade either of them.

surprising they'd announce this before dealing johnson. you have to think they're still going to ship him off somewhere...