NBC Sports Edge Forums

No thread on him. Mashing in AAA after mashing in AA. Walking, hitting for average, and slugging. Not much if any speed though. Seems more deserving of 2nf half PT than Austin Meadows. I think I could be a huge pickup in NL Only leagues and maybe some deepers. Any thoughts?

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

Definitely interesting. Why no love anywhere? 

He was a 3rd round pick out of Fresno State who was decent but not great in A ball the last two seasons. Nothing that would get him on the prospect radar.

His Fangraphs preseason scouting report said he had decent raw power but it didn't show up in games due to some stiffness in his swing. The numbers suggest maybe that's been fixed, and his plate discipline was a strong point all along.

He's not on the 40-man and has only been in AAA for about a week so I wouldn't expect him up soon. That could change if the Pirates were to trade McCutchen.

I've been a fan of this guy and have been stashing, he's flying way under the radar. Razzball gave him some love in their breakout MILB players of the first half for hitters at least. He was drafted in the 3rd round so it's not like he is a nobody, he definitely has some pedigree. Could see him being a Ryon Healy type guy (he walks way more than Healy). Just saying he could be an under the radar prospect who mashes his way into the bigs and performs.

Edited by Dirtywater97
7 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He's not on the 40-man and has only been in AAA for about a week so I wouldn't expect him up soon. That could change if the Pirates were to trade McCutchen.

I think he's Rule 5 eligible this coming offseason though, so I'd bet that we see him in Pittsburgh by September at the latest. They've got to see what he can do against big league pitching, right?

• 3 weeks later...

He has been solid in the minors this year though.  No offense, but I'll take production over grades, especially since his numbers aren't PCL-aided or anything.

He could provide some decent production while he is up at least.  I probably would have taken a flier on him tonight if he was in Yahoo's system.

1 hour ago, Shortnphat said:

If you look in a dictionary under J.A.G. His picture will be there. He brings absolutely nothing to the roster. Couldn't be anymore mediocre with his 45 grade across the table. 

If you look in a dictionary under JAGOFF, this analysis will be there (yinzers will get this). 

Seriously, you cannot write off every prospect that doesn't have great scouting reports, especially those who have a 171 wRC+ at AAA. I mean, you can, you'll just be at a disadvantage over those who are actually doing their homework. 

• Like 4
On 7/6/2017 at 8:31 PM, brockpapersizer said:

No thread on him. Mashing in AAA after mashing in AA. Walking, hitting for average, and slugging. Not much if any speed though. Seems more deserving of 2nf half PT than Austin Meadows. I think I could be a huge pickup in NL Only leagues and maybe some deepers. Any thoughts?

As usual, props to @brockpapersizer for posting about these seemingly-fringe guys who are putting up big numbers. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

If you look in a dictionary under JAGOFF, this analysis will be there (yinzers will get this). 

Seriously, you cannot write off every prospect that doesn't have great scouting reports, especially those who have a 171 wRC+ at AAA. I mean, you can, you'll just be at a disadvantage over those who are actually doing their homework. 

ahnno dat, Sup wif dat jagoff

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shortnphat said:

He brings absolutely nothing to the roster. 

The Pirates or your 10 team league? Because I think he's solid depth for the Pirates but I think he should not be owned in a 10 team league.

I'll give you this. He certainly has potential to be a nobody, but I think he truly has a chance to be an OF4-5 for deep leagues. If you're in a redraft league that at one point rostered Austin Meadows, Luplow certainly should be owned before him.

I don't know what his prospect grades are, but they are subject to change very quickly.  Someone like Michael Baez wasn't a top 400 prospect before the season started and is now a top 75 guy (per rotowire). 

Luplow certainly doesn't seem like an exciting prospect that has potential to be a top round pick one year, but we all play in different sized leagues and Luplow might matter in some.  He'll be a good under the radar FAAB grab in NL Only leagues this weekend. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

The Pirates or your 10 team league? Because I think he's solid depth for the Pirates but I think he should not be owned in a 10 team league.

I'll give you this. He certainly has potential to be a nobody, but I think he truly has a chance to be an OF4-5 for deep leagues. If you're in a redraft league that at one point rostered Austin Meadows, Luplow certainly should be owned before him.

I don't know what his prospect grades are, but they are subject to change very quickly.  Someone like Michael Baez wasn't a top 400 prospect before the season started and is now a top 75 guy (per rotowire). 

Luplow certainly doesn't seem like an exciting prospect that has potential to be a top round pick one year, but we all play in different sized leagues and Luplow might matter in some.  He'll be a good under the radar FAAB grab in NL Only leagues this weekend. 

Like I said he reminds me of Healy.  Not highly touted or had great scouting reports but mashed his way to majors and made his presence known. 

2 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

As usual, props to @brockpapersizer for posting about these seemingly-fringe guys who are putting up big numbers. 

Agreed Brock is the man.  He makes a thread about a guy and shortly after he gets called up.  Front offices must be listening.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

With the departure of Mccutchen I could see Luplow having a good shot at being the starting LF for Pittsburgh with a good spring.

Moran at 3B, Harrison at 2B, and Frazier playing the Swiss army knife role.

Forgot about Osuna. It will probably come down to Luplow VS Osuna. Frazier will stay due to his versatility.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:23 AM, brockpapersizer said:

It's safe to say luplow probably gets a fair amount of mlb at bats this year.  He has a shot to carve out a role it he hits.

I have to think Luplow was a pretty big factor in the decision to trade McCutchen (that and The Pirates are just a cheap organization).

Which I'm still thinking The Pirates ripped themselves off.  But maybe the 500K international signing money will end up being worth more than I'm giving it credit for?

5 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I have to think Luplow was a pretty big factor in the decision to trade McCutchen (that and The Pirates are just a cheap organization).

Which I'm still thinking The Pirates ripped themselves off.  But maybe the 500K international signing money will end up being worth more than I'm giving it credit for?

Id say between meadows and luplow , one gets a lot of at bats this year