NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamal Murray 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is you waiting for Mudiay to develop into a consistent point guard.   

There's people out there dropping/thinking about dropping Murray?  Crazy world we live in.

28 minutes ago, ROTY said:

Shoutout to those that dropped 

If Denver don't make playoffs, guess who balling out of his mind come fantasy playoffs. Regardless, the kid can score the ball. Can only get better.

exactly

he's getting the minutes and shot attempts, that is the most important thing to look at.

If the minutes and attempts drop, thats when you know it may be time to let go. 

By the end of the year his reg season FG% will be fine, so he'll have the good games to offset to bad ones.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mackdonald said:

exactly

he's getting the minutes and shot attempts, that is the most important thing to look at.

If the minutes and attempts drop, thats when you know it may be time to let go. 

By the end of the year his reg season FG% will be fine, so he'll have the good games to offset to bad ones.

Prob will be pushing around 45% shooting after tonight’s 13/18 shooting. 

• Like 1

Dropped him last week and someone grabbed him soon after. Saw his line. Absolutely zero regrets.

The guy is incredibly inconsistent and is more of an SG than a PG from a stat perspective, so very happy to not have to worry about this guy anymore.

He's been top 70 over his last 10 on a ridiculous 52.8% from the field. 

17.5/2.5/2.3ast/2 treys/0.9 in 27mins.

I think he is closer to 43-45 fg range so it's a welcome surprise. 

Edited by taenggg
11 hours ago, Mikhov said:

Sell high, the Pelicans cant defend the perimeter. The corpses of Jameer Nelson and Rondo were “guarding” him

I think Boogie was more responsible than Rondo/Nelson for the wide open looks Murray was getting in the pnr last night. Not joking, it was a 2 on 1 every pnr because Boogie would hang so far back in the paint that Murray could just shoot wide open jumpers all day long. If Boogie switched, or contested with any sort of effort maybe Murray would have hit Jokic or Millsap on the roll and had nice assist numbers. Either way, he exploited the Pels all night in the pnr and any way you look at it that is a positive. 

I don't have any shares of Murray but I find it really funny how quick some people bailed on him. He is 20 and in his second year in the league. The offense added Millsap that they need to integrate and create chemistry with. If you aren't prepared for inconsistencies with 20 year olds then you should put them on your DND list. If you think a player like Millsap can be integrated in the preseason and develop chemistry then you need to reference every team that struggles early after adding a big free agent to their roster. He is going to require patience, but if you just plug and play and look every 10 days or so then you should be pretty happy you didn't straight up drop or sell for fringe players. He definitely has skills, but he definitely needs more time to develop into a competent PG/combo guard. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I don't have any shares of Murray but I find it really funny how quick some people bailed on him. He is 20 and in his second year in the league. The offense added Millsap that they need to integrate and create chemistry with. If you aren't prepared for inconsistencies with 20 year olds then you should put them on your DND list. If you think a player like Millsap can be integrated in the preseason and develop chemistry then you need to reference every team that struggles early after adding a big free agent to their roster. He is going to require patience, but if you just plug and play and look every 10 days or so then you should be pretty happy you didn't straight up drop or sell for fringe players. He definitely has skills, but he definitely needs more time to develop into a competent PG/combo guard. 

The problem is that when his shot isn't falling, he becomes pretty much useless.

His last 2 weeks are an ideal example of that: Guess his 9-cat ranking over the last 2 weeks based on the falling stats and the fact that he's a PG:

.519 FG%, .846 FT%, 17 PPG

You'd immediately think he's probably around Top-50. But he's actually the 100th ranked 9-cat player in the last 2 weeks, despite those solid %, because he gets a combined 1.2 stls/blks per game, and only 2 asts coupled with 2.8 TOs a game. And that's with his shot actually falling! If his shot goes away, which it has for stretches, then he doesn't contribute anything else of value to my roster.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

The problem is that when his shot isn't falling, he becomes pretty much useless.

His last 2 weeks are an ideal example of that: Guess his 9-cat ranking over the last 2 weeks based on the falling stats and the fact that he's a PG:

You'd immediately think he's probably around Top-50. But he's actually the 100th ranked 9-cat player in the last 2 weeks, despite those solid %, because he gets a combined 1.2 stls/blks per game, and only 2 asts coupled with 2.8 TOs a game. And that's with his shot actually falling! If his shot goes away, which it has for stretches, then he doesn't contribute anything else of value to my roster.

Its weird that when his shot isnt falling he grabs like 2 steals and/or random blocks like hes trying to make up on the defensive end

46 minutes ago, ROTY said:

Its weird that when his shot isnt falling he grabs like 2 steals and/or random blocks like hes trying to make up on the defensive end

He has 1 block on the season IIRC. And not exactly lighting it up in the steal department either.

I'm just along for the ride. He's my "worst" player and I got him off the wire without using a waiver so it's really nothing to me if he's inconsistent. Games like these are hella fun to annoy my rival GMs with though :P 

2 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Again, I have zero shares of this guy and I am trying to share a perspective that has no bias.

The fact he is a PG is completely irrelevant at this point. If you drafted him, you should have considered the deficiencies in his game before plugging him in with your league settings. The inconsistency you highlight is something 99% of all young players experience. The kid is 20. He is learning to be a PG. None of this should be a surprise. Based on your league setting and the type of owner you are will dictate how you approach Murray season long. But at the end of the day, with all of his struggles, he is still ranked 112 in 9 cat on a total basis (remember, health matters) and 132 on a per game basis in 9 cat. That is serviceable. This dude straight up should not be dropped. I just don't understand the puke reaction people have this early in the season on a 20 year old that has upside. Yes, people will counter that if you don't act quick you won't get the Tyreke Evans that some leagues have seen on the wire. Fine, but that drop doesn't have to be Murray. And for every Tyreke there are many examples of failed pickups. Looking at my league history (8 cat) here are the guys that fetched the highest FAAB in order from most to least so far: Portis, Evan Turner, Curry, Rozier, Trevor Booker, Barrea, McConnell, Rivers, Brook....can you honestly say you would prefer any of those options over Murray?

All of this is kind of hindsight is 20/20, right? You drafted him pegging him in for projections and if he isn't meeting them then you are frustrated. I get all of that. Just want to say that if he hit the wire in my league I would bid aggressively, and hopefully that is some perspective you can leverage. FYI, there are no trades in my league so I can't really comment on the buy low/sell high stuff. 

Yea this is another thread where I️ don’t get the hate at all. You likely drafted Murray in the later rounds, he’s 20 years old adopting to a being a full time stares and also getting accustomed to playing with a new teammate (Milsap). Ofcourse he’s going to be inconsistent. Add yo the fact the Nuggs offense runs through Jokic and Milsap most nights it’s big Murray’s fault he’s not getting dimes. I️ drafted Murray for pure upside and he has shown that upside, 6 out of 15 games he’s dropped 20 plus and he’s works his percentage all the way up to 45 percent.

This thread is clouded with unrealistic expectations expecting Murray to be consistent from game to game. If Murray gets off to a bad start the trend in the early going has been to roll with Mudiay or Barton than more. So Murray doesn’t have a chance to correct his slow starts most nights because of Malone’s unwillingness to let him work through it. Hopefully that changes as the season goes on but right now expect inconsistentcy and blowups games. I️ for one am not benching him anymore for the blow up potential alone and am just going to enjoy the up and down fun ride.  

Murray gets critized in this thread when he does poorly and than when he blows up because he doesn’t get enough counting stats, kind of funny reading through the rubbish. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1