NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamal Murray 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is you waiting for Mudiay to develop into a consistent point guard.   

There's people out there dropping/thinking about dropping Murray?  Crazy world we live in.

45 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

No kidding. The Rotoworld draft guide lists him as the number 12 (!) PG in the league, which is pretty hysterical.

WXJgoBb.png :o :lol:

13 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Seems like money well spent...

There's no way I'd pay for a draft guide that lists Murray as the #12 PG in the league. Their PG rankings are "free" content and can be found here:

http://www.rotoworld.com/premium/draftguide/basketball/main_page.aspx?ls=roto:nba:gnav

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, ShaHerpes Lashiqua said:

Jokic, Milsap and Gary Harris are the top 3 options. Wilson Chanlder is probably #4

Well then... call me ignorant but I don't understand why people are going nuts over him if he's the 5th-6th option in fantasy land where he could potentially not even get the 20mpg.

31 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

Well then... call me ignorant but I don't understand why people are going nuts over him if he's the 5th-6th option in fantasy land where he could potentially not even get the 20mpg.

It's called Shill aka hype

15 minutes ago, Kamura said:

It's called Shill aka hype

Yea but I'd be more hyped over guys that have opportunity to produce with these factors:

1) Closer to being the number 1 option on the team.

2) Unhindered playing time (no time share) with at least 30mpg

3) Incoming 3rd or 4th year/Not a victim of the "sophomore slump"

With all three factors considered, I can't see how people are so in love with him right now. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Yea but I'd be more hyped over guys that have opportunity to produce with these factors:

1) Closer to being the number 1 option on the team.

2) Unhindered playing time (no time share) with at least 30mpg

3) Incoming 3rd or 4th year/Not a victim of the "sophomore slump"

With all three factors considered, I can't see how people are so in love with him right now. 

People are excited because, frankly, the dude is good.  It also doesn't hurt that Pitino called him one of the best scorers he's ever coached.  That's huge praise.

But if people are expecting 20 a night, they're going to be disappointed not that he can't, but you're right, there's just no room for it.

12 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

People are excited because, frankly, the dude is good.  It also doesn't hurt that Pitino called him one of the best scorers he's ever coached.  That's huge praise.

But if people are expecting 20 a night, they're going to be disappointed not that he can't, but you're right, there's just no room for it.

I wasn't able to watch a single regular season game last year so I really have no basis to bash on the guy for fantasy purposes other than the factors I use to gauge whether I think someone warrants a mid round pick. 

If you, or anyone else, can help shed some light on why people rave about him (he's going in the 7th rounds for standard 12 man leagues in most articles I've read but he's undradted in my league), I'd love to read about it & be enlightened.

7 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I wasn't able to watch a single regular season game last year so I really have no basis to bash on the guy for fantasy purposes other than the factors I use to gauge whether I think someone warrants a mid round pick. 

If you, or anyone else, can help shed some light on why people rave about him (he's going in the 7th rounds for standard 12 man leagues in most articles I've read but he's undradted in my league), I'd love to read about it & be enlightened.

Watch him play. He has it. If you think the fantasy projections match up then go draft him. He's going to be a very good real life player.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2017 at 4:15 PM, Kaboom said:

There's no way I'd pay for a draft guide that lists Murray as the #12 PG in the league. Their PG rankings are "free" content and can be found here:

http://www.rotoworld.com/premium/draftguide/basketball/main_page.aspx?ls=roto:nba:gnav

Where's the "free" content?  I dont see any in that link.

Got 8th and 10th rd available, but prob more like 10th I'll take him is still available.  Need some AST possibilities.

13 minutes ago, JMASTERJ said:

Where's the "free" content?  I dont see any in that link.

Got 8th and 10th rd available, but prob more like 10th I'll take him is still available.  Need some AST possibilities.

Their PG rankings are on the right hand side of the page when you click on the link. If you want to see their rankings for the four other positions, they want you to buy the guide. 

24 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

Their PG rankings are on the right hand side of the page when you click on the link. If you want to see their rankings for the four other positions, they want you to buy the guide. 

Thanks, now I get your "free" part....

Whats really annoying to me is there are so many legit sites listing rankings and hardly anyone tend to state what for... I mean to me rankings per type of game u r playing varies by rounds sometimes, especially like dynasty roto vs just a plain H2H league etc....

Thu, Oct 5

Jamal Murray lit up the Lakers for 20 points in 23 minutes on Wednesday, hitting 6-of-7 shots including a 5-of-6 mark from deep.

Advice: He didn't do much beyond scoring, with zero rebounds, two assists, two steals and four turnovers, but he was aggressive all night and could have had a huge scoring night if his minutes weren't capped in the exhibition. Murray was having a lackluster preseason while battling Emmanuel Mudiay (13 points in 21 minutes) for the starting PG job, but this performance should settle the nerves of anxious fantasy owners.

(Rotoworld.com)

30 minutes ago, apatas said:

Last night performance happened without starting lineup players (no Harris, Jokic, Millsap and Chandler) and you can't be sure that it decided starting PG spot.

Exactly my reasoning as to why I can't see what others are seeing in him. Maybe in 2-3 years, but for this upcoming season? I don't think it's happening...

I would happily let someone else take Murray before round 8 or (would really prefer) 9. 

The best case scenario is he gets 2.2 3PT, 5 AST, 16 PTS which would be top 60.  That would probably be better than best case scenario for Brogdon.  That's probably even a bit better than someone like George Hill. 

I don't think that's going to happen, potential timeshare notwithstanding, just because of the presence of Jokic, Millsap, and Harris.  So if you are reaching in the 6th I think you will get no value whatsoever.  

• Like 2

Last night murray started and played about 30 mins, which is reasonable for the regular season.  The bad part was he continues to look like a pure role player on the team, taking only 8 shots during that time, no steals, 4 reb and 4 asst.  While he shot poorly and we can expect him to shoot better and a bit more overall, that still leaves him at around 12-14 pts per game.  While certainly an improving player and great future prospect, he is clearly pretty low on the "stats" totem pole in Denver, and will be a fringe top 100, more likely top 120 type of guy.  Amazing that certain folks keep pushing him as having top 50 potential, round 5-7 type of player when there is almost no chance of him getting there.  Drafting him that early will almost certainly not help your team win a league vs other players available, but could really tank your chances if the best case doesn't play out...

To me he best serves H2H teams as someone who can fill a PG slot on an punt AST team. He is going to be a drag on FG%, so increasing volume will only make that problem worse. Drafting him in the top 80 is definitely missing out on value elsewhere in the draft.

• Like 1

I think he's being overdrafted due to all the Mike Gallagher hype but otherwise is a really cool target in punt assists.  I punt assists a lot so he's on my radar but he's being taken too early for me.  If you draft Murray with the intention of getting a pure point guard, you are likely to be disappointed.  I think he will end up being like McCollum, an excellent pure scorer, with PG eligibility in name only.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:24 PM, Kaboom said:

Pretty sure thats not up to date