NBC Sports Edge Forums

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

4 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

Very high

Before his injury, he was in the starting line up and logged in two games with 36 mins (against the Spurs) and 38 mins (against the Clippers).

Also, once the Hawks go in tank mode, Collins will play all the minutes he can get.

This made me laugh, the entire season is tank mode for them, I understand your point though lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he proved last night he can......shoulder....the load

Waiting for other owners to drop Collins

Like LiJohn Ballins

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

Don't understand why they don't give him more minutes. Kind of worries me with Dedmon's return coming up.

Yup. Makes no sense whatsoever. Ded will be back within 2 weeks, and Collins is getting less than 6th man minutes.

14 hours ago, CFN said:

Minutes will trend back up as long as he stays healthy. They're (stupidly) being super cautious with him. 

Why is it stupid for a franchise to be extra careful with a rookie that has potential through the roof?

12 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Why is it stupid for a franchise to be extra careful with a rookie that has potential through the roof?

Is he going to break in half in his 27th minute? The more he plays, the faster he develops. 

12 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

It's not like they're playing for the playoffs, they can afford to be careful with him. No need to rush him back from injury. 

Also keep in mind the hawks want to lose games. They have zero incentive to give their best players big mins. He's been fine,  you guys whine alot. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Is he going to break in half in his 27th minute? The more he plays, the faster he develops. 

These are businesses, they don't care about our fantasy teams they care about their real ones.

41 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Also keep in mind the hawks want to lose games. They have zero incentive to give their best players big mins. He's been fine,  you guys whine alot. 

This doesn't really apply in playing rookies. For vets, yeah, no need to play them in losing teams. Just take a look at Lakers. Ball and Kuzma are/were playing their guts out while vets (Nance, BroLo) finding it hard to get 20 mins a game.

Collins isn't Mirotic lolz, he won't steer their path away from losing :D

7 minutes ago, rush007 said:

This doesn't really apply in playing rookies. For vets, yeah, no need to play them in losing teams. Just take a look at Lakers. Ball and Kuzma are/were playing their guts out while vets (Nance, BroLo) finding it hard to get 20 mins a game.

It was a much more intelligent argument than the one lbjames is making. The Lakers artificially kept Ingram and Russell's minutes down last season, and by the end of the year it was clear that they were two of the team's best players (what with Nance being hurt and Zubac dominating, but neither of them played as much as they should either. But you keeping your young players's minutes down for lottery balls is idiotic. Look at the Bulls, their young collection of garbage has been great. If they keep it up, they might even get a playoff spot out of it.

Edited by miasma16
1 hour ago, rush007 said:

Hawks are in prime position to land a game changing player via draft (The only way they will ever acquire a franchise player since Free agents never sign there) They will most definitely use any measure to ensure as many lottery balls as possible with the likes of Bagley/Ayton/Young out there. So perhaps maybe they don't unleash collins for 35 mins a game just because some guys on the internet think it'd help out their fantasy teams. I own Collins, hope he kills it but i'm keeping expectations in check. 

19 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Hawks are in prime position to land a game changing player via draft (The only way they will ever acquire a franchise player since Free agents never sign there) They will most definitely use any measure to ensure as many lottery balls as possible with the likes of Bagley/Ayton/Young out there. So perhaps maybe they don't unleash collins for 35 mins a game just because some guys on the internet think it'd help out their fantasy teams. I own Collins, hope he kills it but i'm keeping expectations in check. 

I don't think playing Collins 35 mpg greatly increases their chances of winning at this point. They need a lot more help than from just Collins. Eventually, they will want to unleash him for development purposes. He should be close to 30 mpg come fantasy playoffs.

22 minutes ago, CFN said:

I don't think playing Collins 35 mpg greatly increases their chances of winning at this point. They need a lot more help than from just Collins. Eventually, they will want to unleash him for development purposes. He should be close to 30 mpg come fantasy playoffs.

This. They’re giving him the 22-28 he’s getting now 100% because staff thinks that’s the best way to develop him over an 82 game season. To their credit it’s working. Kid is flat out ballin (even if I happen to think he’d be better off with 30+ and why on God’s green earth would Ilya see a single minute on the court with this thoroughbred on the bench?)