NBC Sports Edge Forums

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

They also need defense and interior defending because their opponents are putting up 110+ points on them so far this season.  

I presume Collins isn't much of an interior presence on defense.  It's the only reason why I can think of Dedmon getting the nod over Collins.

Most likely 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he proved last night he can......shoulder....the load

Waiting for other owners to drop Collins

Like LiJohn Ballins

Posted Images

His defense isn't great.  Not that Ilyasova's is any better, and of course he's a rook but I watched a replay of the Hawks-Heat game and he was getting straight up bullied by James Johnson.  

That's going to be a reoccurring issue until he puts on some size.

He's fun to watch on O though.  

Just dropped Dedmon for this guy in 2 of my leagues, 1 being a double double league. 

To all my fellow fantasy basketball players,  do not fall in love with your draft picks. If you have dead weight on your roster, (Dedmond, WCS, Marvin Williams, Powell, etc,) pick up this man. The Hawks are a lottery team. This guy will get more  minutes sooner rather than later. Even in 18 in 18 minutes he put up a monster line.

52 minutes ago, Trade Monster said:

To all my fellow fantasy basketball players,  do not fall in love with your draft picks. 

This is a double-edged sword though.  Yes, in this case if Collins is on your waiver, find someone to drop for him.  There's very little chance that your team is so stacked that your worst player is better than Collins.  That's true.

But more generally, if you're so wishy washy on your first 11 or so draft picks that you're dropping them literally before the season is a week old, that means you didn't do enough preparation in your draft to begin with.  The first couple weeks of the season are always so fascinating because there's that push and pull between panicking because a guy has a bad week that just so happens to be the first week, and so you assume that's how he'll be all season (Marvin Williams is historically a great example of this) and holding on too long to a guy that just isn't as good as people thought he would be (LMA was a great example of this a year or two ago).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, prefuse1 said:

You guys think Collin's minutes will sustain when Ghost Face comes back?

I think he will at least split the minutes with At San with a few minutes sprinkles as the backup center. As the year progresses and as ATL is out of the playoff race, which could be next week ;), I can see him getting more minutes or possibly even starting.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, manolo_ said:

I didn't pick him because I alrdy have the minute headache of Noel... But he's legit.

The funny thing is while he could become a minutes headache, he hasn't been so far.  I'd love for him to get more minutes but if he keeps up 12/8/1 with a block and a steal it really doesn't matter.

Sure, we can all wish he gets 28 minutes and gets 19/15, but how realistic is that?  I don't really expect him to become a superstar and those numbers would start to creep into that territory.

he's gonna get into the 20-23 mpg territory soon. it's inevitable given the hawks' situation. but anything more than that, i doubt it.

on the positive side, limiting him to 20-23 mpg the rest of the year might actually work for him. he's still a 19-year old rook after all. it could keep him fresh all year and enable him to avoid the rookie wall.

he's a per minute monster now. best for the hawks to keep it that way this year... then totally unleash him next season when he's ready.

Edited by rameshdataya
  • Like 3

I really like what I've seen of Collins and his stats in the limited role he is playing. In a team as Atlanta Hawks, iniciating a process of development and rebuild there is no reason to not give him a more important role sooner than later, give more minutes to Ilyasova or Muscala has no sense in their situation.

I expect he can elevate his numbers even before ASG to something near of 32 mpg with 16 p., 9 r. 1'5 b. and become a Derrick Favors type of player.

However I can't find a player to drop to sign him from FA in my 10 teams H2H 9 cats league and I don't think he will be available the next week. Maybe M. Chriss if Suns receives a big man in the Bledsoe trade and comes back to 15-20 mpg.

My roster is:

PG: Lillard, Rubio, Smith jr.

SG: Oladipo, Harris

SF: Giannis, Prince

PF: Turner, Gordon, Ingles, Chriss

C: Gobert, Valanciunas

I traded Marc Gasol, Reddick and Isaiah for Gobert, Harris and Smith jr. and signed Prince, Ingles and Chriss from FA.

Sorry for my english (I'm from Spain).

Edited by Joe_Ingles
10 minutes ago, Joe_Ingles said:

I really like what I've seen of Collins and his stats in the limited role he is playing. In a team as Atlanta Hawks, iniciating a process of development and rebuild there is no reason to not give him a more important role sooner than later, give more minutes to Ilyasova or Muscala has no sense in their situation.

I expect he can elevate his numbers even before ASG to something near of 32 mpg with 16 p., 9 r. 1'5 b. and become a Derrick Favors type of player.

However I can't find a player to drop to sign him from FA in my 10 teams H2H 9 cats league and I don't think he will be available the next week. Maybe M. Chriss if Suns receives a big man in the Bledsoe trade and comes back to 15-20 mpg.

My roster is:

PG: Lillard, Rubio, Smith jr.

SG: Oladipo, Harris

SF: Giannis, Prince

PF: Turner, Gordon, Ingles, Chriss

C: Gobert, Valanciunas

I traded Marc Gasol, Reddick and Isaiah for Gobert, Harris and Smith jr. and signed Prince, Ingles and Chriss from FA.

Sorry for my english (I'm from Spain).

There is a separate forum for questions like this (about your specific team). Make one in that section

32 minutes per game before the ASG? Dream come true if that happens. 

Collins can supposedly stretch the floor - but we haven't seen that yet, however he current value lies in tenacious rebounding and putbacks (my league has a bonus for offensive boards, so he's great for me) - his percentages are high because he's always close to the basket, and his energy and timing is great with boards. 

I drafted Collins and dropped him before the season began - then rushed to pick him back up after seeing that his per minute production in summer league translated to NBA level (so far). 

All aboard! 

• Like 1

My only fear would be him banging against starting caliber centers who are much bigger than him. He's easily one of the lankier centers out there and he did have an easy time getting those big boards against teams with no legit center (he got a double double against Dallas, Brooklyn, and a Whiteside-less Heat then struggled against D12 in Charlotte). 

That said, he's just so eager to make a big play and it shows. He's done a few pump fakes here and there which tells me he's got a better offensive game than just dunking.