NBC Sports Edge Forums

John Collins 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Just to continue on my Drummond comp, look at the stats so far this year:

PLAYER, TEAM POS

Min      FGM/FGA FG% FTM 3PM OREB DREB AST STL BLK TO DD TD PTS
Andre Drummond, Det C         31

5.3/9.5 .553 2.5 0.0    5.0 7.8 2.0 1.8 1.0 1.8 0.5 0.0 13.0        
John Collins, Atl PF, C        19       4.8/9.0 .528 2.3 0.0 3.3 4.5 0.8 0.8 1.0 1.3 0.5 0.0 11.8

And it looks like he just picked up C status on Espn! That's a godsend for me

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he proved last night he can......shoulder....the load

Waiting for other owners to drop Collins

Like LiJohn Ballins

Posted Images

1. Led the nation in player efficiency rating.

2. Elite fg% and better than average ft% as a big.

3. Low TOs

4. A bit of potential for 3s later in the season as he looked comfortable making the perimeter shot in the summer league (if this happens, jeez its game over, hands down waiver wire pick up of the season)

5. Need improvement on defense but stats are the only thing that matter in the fantasy. We can expect 0.5 stls and 1.5 blks per game if his minutes can climb to at least 25 min per game.

6. Rebounding machine

7. ACC Most Improved Player of the Year

8. Ilyasova signed for 1 year deal.

9. Most importantly, Hawks will not be competing for playoffs anytime soon.

10. When I watch him play, he moves so well without the ball. Often smaller guards have to create and find opportunities for their bigs, but JC's P&R and placement on the floor creates opportunites for his teammates.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bhkim814 said:

5. Need improvement on defense but stats are the only thing that matter in the fantasy.

Not true. Minutes matter a great deal in fantasy, and if you can't play defense, you don't get minutes. Fortunately for us, Collins can play defense, and his main competition for minutes is Ghostface. Ersan makes John look like Marcus Camby. He's also a better overall player than Dedmon.

The real concern for his minutes is him fouling out per-36 to date. That's not small sample size theater, that was a concern before the season started.

But this is honestly shaping up as I expected. He's getting 20 minutes per game, he should be getting 25-30 by the end of the year. And as you alluded to in a post I otherwise completely agree with, he'll only need 25 to put up must-own numbers because of his stats. He's already been great with what he's getting.

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Not true. Minutes matter a great deal in fantasy, and if you can't play defense, you don't get minutes. Fortunately for us, Collins can play defense, and his main competition for minutes is Ghostface. Ersan makes John look like Marcus Camby. He's also a better overall player than Dedmon.

The real concern for his minutes is him fouling out per-36 to date. That's not small sample size theater, that was a concern before the season started.

But this is honestly shaping up as I expected. He's getting 20 minutes per game, he should be getting 25-30 by the end of the year. And as you alluded to in a post I otherwise completely agree with, he'll only need 25 to put up must-own numbers because of his stats.

Back in wake forest, he often had problems on P&R defense and letting players beat him off the dribble. He certainly can play defense as you mentioned, but that isn't his strong suit. There are plenty of bigs that gets the minutes while being bad at defense, just because their offensive game outweighs than defensive mistakes. He has room to improve and is already okay in terms of defense.

At this point, fouling rate per 36 is the last thing i'd worry about lol.

Heck I'd be glad if he starts averaging 25 minutes per game. People just want to see him out there as he is producing in such limited role. Then we'd judge him on his trouble with fouling and such. 

Edited by bhkim814
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, bhkim814 said:

10. When I watch him play, he moves so well without the ball. Often smaller guards have to create and find opportunities for their bigs, but JC's P&R and placement on the floor creates opportunites for his teammates.

Honestly, watching him in the high PnR is straight out of 2K - the movement is so fluid! 

Don't matter, had double double

Just enjoy the ride folks, he's getting you startable stats in the current situation which is as low as he'll go unless he gets injured.

I do believe he is going to FEAST on the bricks tonight rolling out against Markanen and the Bulls. 20 rebounds book it.

So far today, I've been credited two steals that got taken. Errors mid game are understandable, but that's not even the extent of it. At the end of last week, once wins and losses had already been dealt, they changed some stats and it actually changed the result of a matchup. It's a s--- show rn.

Mike Budenholzer seems frustrated after losing to the Bulls lol.

No way Delaney and Muscala takes combined 22 fg attempts next game. Collins played decent tonight. But most importantly, Dedmon did not improve in offense. I guarantee Collins is a better perimeter shooter than Dedmon

• Like 1

Watched a good chunk of a couple Hawks games, including tonight's. The kid hustles hard. There were a few instances tonight where his help defense led to turnovers, he sets great screens, he's aggressive in defending the paint, he has quick feet, unlimited energy and a smart shot selection. Given, he is a rookie and makes mistakes/looks lost at times, but he recognizes it right away and adjusts. I remember reading a few scouting reports before the NBA draft and they were pretty consistent on calling him offensively gifted, but a very weak defender. It's great to see that the Hawks' coaching staff seems to have really worked on this part of his game, and even better, the vast improvement he seems to have made. Very excited for the rest of the year, especially the 2nd half. 

• Like 1