NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rajon Rondo 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand your excitement, but Rondo hasn't been a very good PF/C historically.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

He just came back from a serious core injury 2 weeks ago. Sports hernia can be easily aggravated, so I am sure Pelicans still a minute restriction on him. The fact that they are letting him play 28 mi

Posted Images

Just now, sharkpotato said:

Probably told Gentry he didn't want to check back in seeing as how they made the come back without him :rolleyes:

Seeing Jameer's chunky a** out there is frustrating as hell... :angry:

I really want to trust this guy and he's really productive when he gets 25+ minutes. But the thing is that he's not getting those minutes regularly. One day he gets 30 minutes and then suddenly in the upcoming match he gets 20 minutes. 

1 hour ago, ugr23 said:

I really want to trust this guy and he's really productive when he gets 25+ minutes. But the thing is that he's not getting those minutes regularly. One day he gets 30 minutes and then suddenly in the upcoming match he gets 20 minutes. 

excactly.. Am I the only one thinking about getting Frank N instead for higher upside?

4 hours ago, Brandayz said:

excactly.. Am I the only one thinking about getting Frank N instead for higher upside?

No way. You will not find 8.5/9 assists on the wire. even during his crummy stretch he was still giving you 5-6 assists. I expect him to be more consistent as the season goes on. 

2 hours ago, Brandayz said:

I wouldn't do that. Rondo is literally coming off of a 25 assist game. That is like 5 games of Frankie Smokes production. It is going to come down to team build and league format though and this isn't the place to discuss. 

There is a lot of context that you can't pick up on from a box score for the last 2 games and Rondo's minutes. I watched the Dallas game and I predicted Rondo would get good minutes in the NYK game (for DFS purposes) and I was right on the minutes projection. Here is the context from the Dallas game... 

-Dallas basically played the entire game with a 13+ point lead. I think it got to like 25 points in the 2Q. The Pelicans started bombing from 3. Dallas was also getting WIDE OPEN looks from 3 all game. People can say it was Rondo's defense that led to less minutes but I think it was a combination of things. His defense wasn't great. Pelicans needed scoring or 3 point shooters to try and close the gap. And they were on the front end of a B2B and Gentry was running AD, Boogie, Holiday really, really heavy minutes to try to close the gap getting into the 4Q. I think he just sat Rondo to get him in a spot for heavy minutes in the Knick game since everyone else was being leveraged to try and avoid a bad loss to the Mavs. It is almost like watching a team that can't fold and gets themselves pot committed on a hand they had no business trying to compete with, and then going on tilt and compounding the initial mistake/bad loss by being out of position with the next game. I wouldn't read too much into his Dallas minutes, although I think the offense would have been far more efficient with Rondo playing the point because there were about 5 possessions in the 4Q that were cross halfcourt and use a Boogie screen to launch a 3 with zero ball movement...those possessions rarely ended well.

I didn't watch the Knick game but he played solid minutes. I think the offense runs much smoother when Rondo is in charge. I rarely focus on the Pel's defense because it is just painful to watch most of the time. Anyway, I wouldn't trip and I think as the standings tighten up we will start to see the "playoff Rondo" appear. 

• Like 3

Looks like his piss-poor attitude is revealing its ugly head in NO, which explains the low minutes. Sucks because NO is such a better team when he plays well. I still think he’s a hold and will buy into Gentry’s system or continue to sit on the bench.